Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Gug, M.I.A.?

Blue Strat

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WELL! It's nice to be missed!

Our computers at work got hit by a HUGE bug so time reading and posting was cut to zero.

Also, I couldn't spend any time at home. Went on a guys weekend rafting trip and recently was cast in a Christmas musical, "It's A Wondeful Life". I got the part of Harry Bailey. Talking, singing AND dancing. Talking is just fine. Singing, I can hang with that. Dancing!!!??? :eek: They'd better have a really good instructor!

I've been a busy boy!

The Fuzz face is still in pieces, but I have EVERY intention of doing the project.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

WELL! It's nice to be missed!

I've been a busy boy!

The Fuzz face is still in pieces, but I have EVERY intention of doing the project.

I've been busy too. Aside from and school, I haven't had much time, but I've managed to turn out another fuzz/distortion thing and I'm almost done with a simple tremolo pedal, a nice choppy squarewave trem. :)

The distortion thing is a lot like a Big Muff Pi when the gain is all the way up. It's adjustable from a gain of 101 times the input to 10,001 times the input. :eek: . I think that's the limit for that design, it starts to self-oscillate when it's up that high and nothing is plugged into the input. :evil:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Ah, you lost me. So far, I'm a paint by numbers FX builder.

The FF is still in pieces. Wife is away this weekend. maybe I'll breadboard it correctly this time.

Gain is the number of times the signal is boosted, so a gain of 10,000 is 10,000 times the original input. If you had an input of .1V, your output would be .1 x 10^4, or 1000V. Obviously, a device running on 9V isn't going to produce a 1000V output, so what happens is the signal is limited by the power supply, and the tops and bottoms of your nice, clean sinewave input are clipped off (known as "clipping" :rolleyes: ). A Fuzz Face does pretty much the same thing, but there are little differences in the circuit that change the tone.

If the gain is high, and you've got wires going every where or a poor layout, you'll get oscilations and your effect will squeal at you!!

:evil:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Well, this SHOULD be interesting. I'm breadboarding now. Just taking a break while my son is brushing his teeth. Once he's in bed, I'm back on it. I'm running out of wire, so I'll be stopping soon. HOWEVER, the second crack at this is feeling pretty good for me.

Do you breadboard your stuff, or just go for it?

Mikegug

Mike,

I use an electronics drafting and simulation program. I can check that the circuit will work, see what the wave-form looks like, and analyize the frequency effects of the circuit. :) The program is called "Circuit Maker".

Usualy, my effects work the first time, and then I tweak them for tone. I've learned to trust my ears over the program when it comes to tone. In general, if you want a tighter sound with less bass, use a smaller capacitor. For more bass, use a bigger cap.

While you're bread-boarding, try a different bypass cap on the emitter of Q2 (second stage transistor). Try going as low as 1uF or as high as 100uF. This one component will really change the tone of the effect, and can make it sound like a completely different effect. It would be cool to use a switch to select between a 100uF cap, the stock 22uF cap, and a 1uF.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

OK. I've got the populated breadboard in front of me, not working. The bypass works! :thu:

Man, I could have SWORN it was gonna work! :confused:

Here's what I KNOW is wrong with it. When I put the resistors in, I just guessed at which one went where. I didn't have the color-coding chart. All I had was the resistors themselves and their values not assigned to any particular color. Wouldn't have gotten SOME sound even if they were put in wrong?

Mikegug

OK. I've got the populated breadboard in front of me, not working. The bypass works! :thu:

Man, I could have SWORN it was gonna work! :confused:

Here's what I KNOW is wrong with it. When I put the resistors in, I just guessed at which one went where. I didn't have the color-coding chart. All I had was the resistors themselves and their values not assigned to any particular color. Wouldn't have gotten SOME sound even if they were put in wrong?

Do you know which pins on your transistors are base, emitter, and collector? The collector is where you should get the output of the signal. You should have a 33k resistor on transistor one's collector, base to the input through a capacitor, and the emitter grounded. Transistor two should have a 10k on the collector, the base connected straight to the collector of transistor one, and it's emitter should go to ground through a 1k potentiometer and a 22uF cap. The output comes from transistor two's collector through a capacitor.

It that what you've got? Also, what type of transistors are you using?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived