Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

12-string acoustic buying advice

Bill Heins

It's been a while since I have played guitar but I'd like to get back into it. I've been doing the DAW thing with my two synths through a Mackie into the computer and would like to add real guitar playing back into the mix. I still have my electric ('89 Charval Mod 6- Jackson neck, hardware, active eq, 3 pickups, etc. ) but haven't found the right processor yet (some suggestions on that too would be helpful ;) )...but I no longer have any acoustics and the first I'd like to get back is a decent 12-string. Sold my drumkit(Premier Resonator 6-piece) last year too ;)

Back to the 12-string...I played a Martin about 7 years or so ago that was beautiful, great tone, action, I fell in love with it! Is Martin still making 12-strings? Are there other guitars of comparable quality I should check out? Just looking for a few ideas to help me wade through the market, thanks :)

By the way, once had a '76 strat(stolen :( ) and a beautiful '67 Les Paul Deluxe goldtop(sold to support my keyboard habit ;) ) at the same time....I preferred the Les Paul ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darkon,

Taylor makes the best 12 strings these days and they cover a number of price points from the 355 up. Guilds are still good and, while I haven't played one, I'll bet the Rainsong is pretty cool.

Martin does still make 12s although they have never had as good a reputation as the 6 strings. Personally, I really liked the 12 fret D models but not the 14 fret ones. I haven't played one of the j shaped ones.

If you need to go cheaper than that... look at the Seagull. For the money, they are great.

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

A 12 string acoustic is a rather big jump if you have npo tbeen playing acoustic. I'll bet that it doesn't end up getting much use. But something like the Line6 Variax might give you enough of a 12 string sound, and a number of other sounds, too, yet not break the bank and get a lot of use. Just a thought.

I would second the notion that Taylor deserves a look. Gibson has always made playable 12 strings. Leo Kottke had a few Martin 12s that he was kind enough to let me play, and though they sounded great they were rather harder to play than I expected them to be.

I really like the sound of an acoustic 12... though I have 4 electric 12s, I have no acoustic 12s. Which is odd, because when I stopped playing drums in 1968 and moved to guitar full-time, it was an acoustic 12 that I bought with the monies I got for the sale of the drums. Good luck on your search.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I bought a new Taylor 12 string in 1997-98 so it's about 5-6 years old now, plays just as fine as the day I bought it. I had a 1971 Martin 12-20, but the action on it made it hard to play. The Taylor was a joy to play. I had a Martin Gold Line pick-up installed, and it sounds great. I can't tell you the model number of the guitar, as the guy who installed the pickup, installed a battery holder for the pick-up over the label and kind of messed the label up, bummer. I can still read the serial number, but the model number looks like "+50" ???. I bought the guitar new from Sam Ash Music, so there should be no problem, but the label looks like it was altered. For some reason 355 or 455 rings a bell, but I don't remember for sure. It's not a jumbo guitar but nicely shaped and sized. It's a very nice 12 string though, with excellent sound, and a satin finish. The guitar was autographed by Ian Anderson, Sean Lennon, and Jesse Cook, but Ian's autograph, is the only one still there, the others, wore off over time.

The most important thing to me with buying any guitar, is how easy is it to play, and how does it sound. After that, looks and then finally price. My Taylor is the easiest 12 string to play, that I've ever played, and I've never had any problems with it. I have altered the nut so as to reverse the 4 lower octave stings with their higher counterparts, to get the Rickenbaker sound.

I'm very happy with the guitar.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

That IS an important consideration, money. How much you're willing to spend, or how much you're limited with, makes all the difference when asking advice. If you still like the idea of a Martin 12-string, you gotta know it'll be a grand or more from your wallet. And if the price of the Martin doesn't scare you, then the alternatives mentioned all deserve a look.

I, myself, don't like Taylors all that much. But, that's me. And MY reasons don't have anything to do with the sound. At least, not totally. Me? My money situation caused me to look in another direction, and I picked a Washburn. Love it, but can't recommend it because my particular model has been discontinued. There were other factors too long to get into here, but by now, you get the point.

Browse around and look at all suggestions made here, but remember the final pick is all yours.

Let us know what happens, and happy hunting.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'm gonna have to look into the Taylors and check out the latest Martins. I was figuring on something that would list for $1,000 to $1,500, quality is important to me and if it costs more than I can afford at the time I'll save till I can get it :)

Started on the guitar 28 years ago but haven't played much of it in the last 7-8 years, been too busy with keyboards and until last year drums( gonna have to move so I can get another kit!). I'm gonna be rusty as hell for a while, but it's just like drowning, once you learn it.....no wait.....awww never mind ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

I had a 1971 Martin 12-20, but the action on it made it hard to play.
My 1972 Martin had a hard to play action too, and the 12-string would only be worse. Good news / bad news, hard to play action means you can play ANY other guitar well. BTW, stock Martin strings are HEAVY gage, around 14's I think. VERY hard to play, but GREAT depth (bass).

I also (very much) agree that a 6-string would be much easier (read as more playing time) to play if you're starting up again after many years. I re-started with an electric with 9's on it.

Yet another anti 12-string fact; a good 12-string cost about 50% more than the same quality 6-string.

My 2 cents, Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I have played scores of 12-strings (in fact, my first and only guitar for many, many years was a 12) in all price ranges to $9000, and the best one consistently I found for playability was Carvin's Cobalt C980-12. Brilliant guitar regardless of price. Outstanding tone and construction quality. Under a grand. www.carvin.com/cobalt . Check it out.
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I would probably go with these in price range order:

$600.00 Alvarez AJ60SC12

$900 Carvin Cobalt C980

$1500 Taylor 655.

The Alvarez is a beautiful Maple guitar and plays very easily, with built in electronics and is a lot of guitar for the money. The Carvin has received a number of outstanding reviews. The Taylor is a high quality guitar with good resale value. My personal opinion is Guild is overpriced and Martin just doesn't do 12 strings very well. I have heard some positive comments on the D-28 12 however. I have an Ovation 1769 that is outstanding plugged in. Tremendous sound, but some people just don't like the bowl.

There are a bunch of Taylor 355's on e-bay for well under a grand...

that would be my first choice - all solid wood, taylor quality, good resale, and you don't really get a better guitar from Taylor for more money, only different woods and ornamentation.

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

I was surprised to see how long it took for Ovations to show up here. I have an Ovation Elite 12-string, and I absolutely love it. The bowl doesn't bother me at all, and I think it helps the guitar get a fuller, rounder tone (no pun intended).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Archived