Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup Height.

elferoony

I am adjusting the pickup heights on my Stratocaster, and am wondering what most people do with this. It seems that the higher the pickups, the louder the volume, and the more sustain. However, the pickups sometimes get in the way. (of bad playing, probably.)

I just want to know what you guys do.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the Fender specs off hand, but I was told once that a nickel's width on the bridge poles was essentially spec.

That's what I do anyway.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

If your bridge and middle pickups are too high, the magnetic fields can fuck with the guitar's intonation. This is sometimes called "Stratitis" since Stratocasters seem to be particularly vulnerable to this phenomenon.

Basically, you want to get them as close to the strings as possible without causing any strangeness and without the strings actually hitting the PUs.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Just did all my guitars.

Place your finger on the last fret of the first string and adjust the pickup at that end so that the string is no closer than 1/16".

Repeat the process with your finger on the last fret of the 6th string, and adjust the pick up at that end now...also no closer than 1/16" from string to pickup.

Of course...do this AFTER you've adjusted your intonation and bridge height.

I have mine at 3/32"...which is a bit closer than I've had them in the past…but in the past I used an XL gauge (9, 10, 16) so then I wanted to have a little more space between the stings and pickup so that the magnetic field didn't pull the string out of tune, and also kill the sustain.

Now I use a heavier gauge, so I can bring the pickup closer to the string and get the extra signal strength without risk of magnetic fields messing with the strings, since they have more tension on them because of the heavier gauge.

If you have more than one pickup...do the same for all of them...finger on the last fret...1st and 6th strings...no closer than 1/16". :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I've never measured mine. I just set them where they sound good to me, which is quite a bit lower then most of you. By my eye, about 1/4". Maybe even a bit more.

These are Am Std Strats BTW.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

For my '52 reissue Tele, Fender suggests the 1/16" space.

Here is some additional info from the DiMarzio web site that cover several different styles:

How high should I adjust my pickups for the best sound?

There is no specific distance that works best for everyone. We measure string height from the top of the polepiece to the bottom of the string when the string (usually the high or low E) is held down at the highest fret. For standard, full-size humbuckers, a reasonable starting point for the bridge pickup is at least 1/16" (1.5mm) from the high E and 5/64" (2 mm) from the low E. There are no recommended distances for the other 4 strings. Their polepieces should be adjusted (if necessary) by ear in relation to the volume established for the first and sixth strings. Once the bridge pickup is adjusted to a useful distance, the neck pickup can be adjusted by ear for a good balance.

For single-coil pickups and all hum canceling single-coil replacements with Alnico 5 rod magnets, we've found the following formula works very well: at the highest fret (usually the 21st or 22nd), the closest recommended distances from the top of the magnet to the bottom of the string are:

Neck and middle pickups

low E 1/8” (3.2mm)

high E 3/32” (2.4mm)

Bridge pickup

low E 3/32” (2.4mm)

high E 1/16” (1.6mm)

The Virtual Vintage® 2.1, 2.2 and VirtuAL 2® models have low magnet pull, and so do the Virtual T™ and all of the Fast Track™ models, including the Chopper™, Cruiser® and Pro Track™. They can all be adjusted relatively close to the strings. At the highest fret the closest recommended distances from the top of the magnet to the bottom of the string are:

Neck and middle pickups

low E 3/32” (2.4mm)

high E 1/16” (1.6mm)

Bridge pickup

low E 1/16” (1.6mm)

high E 3/64” (1.2mm)

These settings will provide a lot of presence and attack. For a more open 1950s sound, try adjusting the pickups 1/32” (0.8mm) further from the strings.

What happens if I adjust my pickup too close to the strings?

The closer the pickup gets to the strings, the stronger the signal that's sent to the amp. However, getting a pickup close to the strings brings the magnetic field closer, too. If the magnetic field is strong enough, it alters string vibration enough to make the guitar sound out of tune, and it can also cause string buzz and reduce sustain.

KAHN,

By my eye, about 1/4". Maybe even a bit more.
Hard to believe, although of course it's theoretically possible. Put a scale on those pups and strings. I think you'll find it's more like an eigth of an inch or so. A quater of an inch is a (relative) mile.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by KHAN:

I've never measured mine. I just set them where they sound good to me, which is quite a bit lower then most of you. By my eye, about 1/4". Maybe even a bit more.

These are Am Std Strats BTW.

You must really hit the strings hard to get any volume out of that setup. Are the pickups about flush with the top of the pickguard? I've had the neck pickup on my strat that low before, but I think you get more bite with that pickup about 1/8" above the pickguard.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I suggest you go to the Kinman pickup site (kinman.com) as they have technical info on suggested pup height adjustments (I think it's under the Tone section).

A few additonal points, as some forum respondents indicated, you don't want to get the strings too close to the pup pole or Stratitis will result. Basically, the magnet will actually pull on the metal string and upset its waive pattern and kill tone and sustain.

A second point is that you really want to adjust the relative volumes between the neck, middle and bridge pups. I first suggest you adust the bridge pup as high as allowed (it will require a smaller gap for proper volume). Then adjust the neck and middle pup heights so that when you strum a chord on each while changing pups, the volume is pretty balanced with one not being overpowering. This usually requires the gap for the neck and middle pups to be greater.

Originally posted by Lancer:

I first suggest you adust the bridge pup as high as allowed (it will require a smaller gap for proper volume). Then adjust the neck and middle pup heights so that when you strum a chord on each while changing pups, the volume is pretty balanced with one not being overpowering. This usually requires the gap for the neck and middle pups to be greater.

Yes...good point about multiple pickups. Once the bridge pickup is set, you would then want to adjust the others relative to it, so that they sound about the same when the volume knobs are in the same position.

Of course...you may actually want one to be a bit hotter than the other...depends on your style.

But...which ever pickup you are adjusting, you don't want to go lower than 1/16"...only higher as needed.

Hey Lancer...Ballston Spa...huh? :)

Havent been through there in years...use to work in Kinderhook/Valatie area about a million years ago!!! :D

I also use to live in Columbia County...now I'm down near Middletown...but I miss that area, especially this time of the year just as the leaves start to turn...beautiful apple country up there.

Archived