Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's with Jimmy Page?

halljams

Originally posted by Squ:

Bullshit!

I'm sorry, but thats just wrong!

OK, well then what's right? Everyone else in that band was just plain NUMB. Bonham, Pagey and Plant were GONZO. Well at least gonzo was. That's why he's no longer here.

Not a slam against their musicianship, but more against their substance abuse.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Squ:

Originally posted by coyote:

But Zep somehow continued to pack 'em in despite the fact that often JPJ was the only member who sounded coherent.

Bullshit!

I'm sorry, but thats just wrong!

Yeah you're right, we can say both Bonham and JPJ.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

IT'S A SHAME SOME OF US HAVE EARS BUT CANT HEAR.

WHEN YOU WRITE YOUR STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN GIVE US A

CALL.

No, I definitely hear you. I think they did some great music. I ceased being a big time fan after their 2nd record, though I still listened and bought their records. Well actually I didn't after III. But I sure did learn "Stairway" and played it on some gigs back in the day --1972. Before it was cliche. Black Dog too. Communication Breakdown. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

As far as I'm concerned I've PERSONALLY seen too many great, great musicians and even more not so great musicians become casualties due to drugs. It pains me to no end because in every case these guys fold long before their potential. Become shadows, buried beneath a mass of numbness where screaming becomes necessary just in order to hear themselves or feel. Just think what he would have been capable of . . .

All the best,

Henry Robinett

People say HENDRIX was sloppy too. I guess the genuis's were to busy making thier masterpieces to pratice theory and techniuqe.
The limited live stuff I've heard from from Hendrix wasn't as sloppy as Page. It wasn't a wasn't Ywegienene Malstroomstein tight (thank goodness), but it was great. The cool thing is that Hendrix wasn't sounding like anyone (as far as I know).

When I listened to Hendrix for the purposes of study not too long ago, my immediate reaction was that I didn't think he was that different. When I thought about it a little more, and I looked at the date of the recording, I realized that he was the inspiration for so many that have that sound (Hendrix, SRV, Kenny Wayne Sheppard etc, etc...)

Can someone enlighten me? Who was Hendrix listening to?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

When you look at a lot of the innovators they often had an immediacy and "sloppiness" not as apparent on their copiers. The copycats were able to fully assimilate and refine. Hendrix was sloppy by today's standards, but remember also the day and that he was flying by the seat of his pants a lot of the time. He was a genius I think, or just plain brilliant.

In jazz I look at someone like John Coltrane who had more technique than anyone. Still there was an unrefined quality sometimes to his playing. His brilliant copiers like Dave Liebman and Michael Brecker especially, polished Coltrane's technique to ridiculous ends.

Page - I don't know. They were both drug heads. I think Page must've had less control under the influence.

In Hendrix' day nobody was doing what he did. SRV, et.al. could refine, but it's WHO CAME UP WITH IT IN THE FIRST PLACE that gets the real prize.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

IT'S A SHAME SOME OF US HAVE EARS BUT CANT HEAR.

WHEN YOU WRITE YOUR STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN GIVE US A

CALL.

No, I definitely hear you. I think they did some great music. I ceased being a big time fan after their 2nd record, though I still listened and bought their records. Well actually I didn't after III. But I sure did learn "Stairway" and played it on some gigs back in the day --1972. Before it was cliche. Black Dog too. Communication Breakdown. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

As far as I'm concerned I've PERSONALLY seen too many great, great musicians and even more not so great musicians become casualties due to drugs. It pains me to no end because in every case these guys fold long before their potential. Become shadows, buried beneath a mass of numbness where screaming becomes necessary just in order to hear themselves or feel. Just think what he would have been capable of . . .

Great point there henry. Hey, Darkie, when you have a career like John Paul Jones's, give us a call! :P

Archived