Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In search of Home Recording Artists

DrummerRob

Hey got the audio back on track, now then your little tune here sounds pretty cool :thu: so on earth you no longer working on this no more??

it makes me think of the lyrics....

a bit of production work required here but still.... love the guitars... is that James' doing? drums a bi flat though hey!!

well, c'mon hammer me with your screams!! thought I'd just say what i though..... :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I've been really hammered for time the last few days. With the company where I work shutting down I've had a ton of things on my mind not really condusive for music. Now, I'm leaving Sunday to visit the folks in Florida and won't be back to recording till the 23rd. Sorry guys. I'll still be on the net though and fooling around with the new mic I got from Myles and doing a little music shopping in the US.

I know what you mean, James. I've been in a similar place myself for the past week or so.

I am hoping to spend some time this weekend working on this.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

hey guys,

Take care of life issues of course. The rest of us will still be here when you get back. I'm getting much better at playing my part so by the time you come back you may find work that is tighter.

Gretsch What do you mean by the drums are a bit flat? Do you mean the volume control? Too simple of a part? Not enough tom work? Not enough fills? Tone of drums is flat? Is the part simply boring?

Any input helps.

The drum part, from my opinion needs spice but I'm waiting to see what the final melody is going to be so I know where to add that spice.

RobS

You guys are the best!!!!!

I love the way you got down to create this little masterpiece....

I have been unwell, overworked and yes lazy so not much practicing nor recording or anything, well until last night anyway and Oh man! it was such a good relief playing (!) a little bit again, it seemed years!!! It feels so good, I forget the world and myself. Great innit??

James,

enyoy your time in Florida, send us a postcard?? What kind of work do do you do over in my country?

Rob,

is that a new avatar you got somewhere or is it really your kit? (ta for putting it on anyway...) :love:

Erhm, I had a quick listen to the link above and yes at first impression the drums are flat, I think some work is due on toms and the snare man... I would not say it is boring at all Rob! all the contrary, like you said it needs spicing up... it's my job to notice these things, i.e. my ears dont let me sleep and my mouth speaks too quickly at times... (did not mean to upset you or anything) it was just a first impression thing... hope you not mad at me! :( but yes we can see what will come out later on, I am sure you wil spice it up allright. :thu:

Gretsch, That Gretsch Avatar is indeed my second kit meant for easy transport and jazzier applications AND I just had to have a 4-piece set up in my house...;-). When I saw it I had to buy it even though it is a 'lower" end kit. It sounds great to me.

And no worries on critiquing any parts that I do. I encourage musical opinions so I can learn and to keep me trying harder.

RobS

I copied the two files and I'm going to give this a shot too. I've got drums, harmonicas, a bass, an old Casio keyboard, and several guitars to mess around with, so I might come up with something interesting. ;)

I'll post a link to my music page here (damn Geocities!) when I've got something. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Hey,

Scott here (the bass player) on Rob's posted music. I just thought it was time to join in the fun. I had no idea we'd get such a response. What great fun and what good information I've learned from you all in just reading the posts. I look forward to hearing your other posts and to working on future music with you all. I've got a couple of posts on my thumb drive, ready to hear any time I'm inspired. While things are busy at work, this is a real inspiration to start playing more seriously more often.

Scott

Mr. Kettner (I hope it's mister),

Thanks for the welcome comments. I just couldn't stay away any longer. I've been reading the posts for about a week and talking about all the fun with Rob at work (we also work together).

Thanks for the advice about bass forums. I've just spent a couple hours looking through them. There is so much to catch up on. I'll be back again later this weekend.

Scott

Hi Scott! :wave:

I had really hoped to do something with this today, but I've just been totally dragging all day. Sorry folks. I swear I'll get motivated soon! :)

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Hey Neil,

I actually listened to your "first stab" a couple of times today. It's exciting to hear our original drum and bass lines have a little meat put on them. I was so thrilled when Rob played it for me right after you had posted it. I think it's cool that you took our post and spent time to write something that truly complimented the piece. Sorry I am not learned enough yet to tell you what key I'm playing in or at what tempo we recorded at, but that's why we're here, to learn all that. I'm looking forward to someone putting lyrics to the tune now.

I'd like to hear what you could do with our second post, which was a bit longer and was a bit more song-like. I enjoyed your first take so much. Were there two tracks you layed on top of our drum and bass? Also, is there a way we could get the tune with the tracks separated so we could turn them on and off at will? Maybe we'd have to all be working with the same software for that to happen. We've got a couple more tunes we'd like to post but want to see how far this one goes first. Hope everyone stays interested.

Hey folks,

Guitartazzan Take a listen to the tracks that we have posted and you can decide if I'm a good drummer or not...;-)

I think what I'm capable of are good singles, doubles, hand work and developing 4/4 rhythms.

What I need to build on is my swing pulse, syncopation, double pedal work, rudiments across the set and so much more.

I can lay down a good drum foundation, I'm sure.

What style of music are you thinking of bouncing my way?

RobS

To All: There is another groove that Scott and I have that is VERY cool but like he said we wanted to see how far the current groove could go before we introduced another one.

Forget to mention, I'm currently using Cubasis VST on the PC but I'm looking into options on the Mac.

Is there software that can do it all? On the Mac? Cabas? Pro Tools? Sonar? What can lay down tracks AND manipulate the sound files?

RobS

Originally posted by TheFourthString:

Hey Neil,

I actually listened to your "first stab" a couple of times today. It's exciting to hear our original drum and bass lines have a little meat put on them. I was so thrilled when Rob played it for me right after you had posted it. I think it's cool that you took our post and spent time to write something that truly complimented the piece. Sorry I am not learned enough yet to tell you what key I'm playing in or at what tempo we recorded at, but that's why we're here, to learn all that. I'm looking forward to someone putting lyrics to the tune now.

I'd like to hear what you could do with our second post, which was a bit longer and was a bit more song-like. I enjoyed your first take so much. Were there two tracks you layed on top of our drum and bass? Also, is there a way we could get the tune with the tracks separated so we could turn them on and off at will? Maybe we'd have to all be working with the same software for that to happen. We've got a couple more tunes we'd like to post but want to see how far this one goes first. Hope everyone stays interested.

Thanks! There are actually 3 parts i added - the "rhythm" part that opens the cut, a melody and the solo section (which I recorded seperately from the melody 'cause I wanted a different tone).

I could send each track individually as mp3's if you have a way to recombine them somehow. I use Cakewalk's Pro Audio 9, so I don't know if you could utilize the file as is (I also don't know if my email server would let me send a file that large :confused: ). I could also just do a few mp3's that have/don't have the various parts.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by DrummerRob:

Hey Bluestrat,

Welcome aboard! I look forward to hear your take on everything!

RobS

Alrighty, here's what I did, feel free to critique until your hearts content! :) The rythym guitar track was with my homebrew Fuzz Face, solo track was the DOD Mystic Blues Overdrive, and both guitar tracks are straight into the soundcard with my Del Rey (SD Invader bridge pickup) and an effect pedal. A little echo was added to the solo track to make it stand out a little. :thu:

Some of you are probably thinking,"Damn! Bluestrat used a digital effect?!?" :P It was easier than hooking up my Radio Shack electronic reverb, and I wanted to hear the tracks dry first, before I screwed 'em up with effects!

Let me know what ya'll think, mmmK?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Blue,

Man, that has an edgy sound to it that is very cool.

I don't have any critiques on your playing but I did notice that the sound levels on your recording went way down. Its at about half the volume as the tracks that I have.

I guess I would turn the rythm guitar down a ton so that it was more of an ambient track and it needs to be balanced more with the drum and bass levels. That way too, the lead track can stand out more when it "sings".

I hope to post more soon. Scott has been sick this week so we haven't recorded anything. I'll record some drum this weekend and everyone can work off of that.

RobS

Did you notice that I used the stripped down track? I like using those better than the tracks with keys. More room to do my thing. And, yeah, you're proably right about reducing the volume of the fuzz (or bringing the volume of everything else up).

I recorded that on the fly, almost no practice before hand. I think that next time I'm going to figure out what I'm going to play first! :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Hey BlueStrat,

Thanks for taking time to put together a layer (or two) on top of our drum and bass track. I agree with Rob that the levels were a bit high, but it's hard to say how high. It might sound fine on your computer. Rob and I have had different results when listening to our stuff through headphones vs computer speakers. We try to blend the best we can.

I liked the left/right effect with the fuzz on the left and the lead on the right.

As Rob said, I've been hit hard by the flu but might be ready for our Tuesday night session to post some new stuff. Rob was talking to me today about one tune we worked on, one we recorded on a night when nothing seemed to go wrong (maybe the Smirnov Ice helped). So look for something new by the middle of next week. Sounds like Rob's ready to play this weekend, so you might see something from him sooner.

Hope you had fun recording.

Here's a question for anyone: I've got an Apple Imac (OS 8.6) and a PC on Windows 98 (300 MHz) - anything I can do to record into the computer without spending lots of money? Freeware or Shareware maybe?

One more thing: I'm looking to buy a combo bass amp (60+ watts). I'm investigating Hartke B900, Carvin PB100 or something from Ampeg (they seem to get a lot of publicity at this site). Any input or good/bad experiences would be appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Scott

Daklander would recommend n-Track Studio software for recording, I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2. CEP2 has all kinds of neat effects you can add after the track's recorded. There are trial versions for each of these available for download.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived