Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In search of Home Recording Artists

DrummerRob

Hi folks,

I have a home recording studio all set up and ready to go and was wondering if anyone out there, in a similar situation, wanted to experiment and do some song recording via the internet?

I'll record the drum and percusssion tracks. You record any other tracks you want. Anyone interested?

RobS

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forums!

I don't follow it, but one of the other forums here "Collaboration Corner" does this kindof stuff pretty well I think. Not to blow you out of the guitar forum or anything! Just to let you know what's what.

Anyway, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Count me in for some vocal/rhythm guit/light lead guit. If you've got a groovin' drum/percussion track, I'll do what I can over it. I've got a bass, but I royally suck at bass guitar....probably need to recruit someone for that.

Click on my sig below to see my studio stuff for compatability.

Hey Guys,

For James: I see that you are using Sonar. I have Cubasis VST. I'm assuming we could swap files over the internet without much problem. I think MP3s will work fine. We can convert to .wav files as needed. I'll record a drum track this weekend and send it off to you.

For McGuitar: You just need a way to record into your computer and email me the sound files. You can record something first or I can. I'm fine either way.

RobS

Rob,

I'm interested... tell us more about you and your setup...

Are you recording acoustic drums or using an electronic kit?

What about musical tastes? What styles do you like to play?

I live in SD as well... would you be willing to get together to record?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by DrummerRob:

Hey Guys,

For James: I see that you are using Sonar. I have Cubasis VST. I'm assuming we could swap files over the internet without much problem. I think MP3s will work fine. We can convert to .wav files as needed. I'll record a drum track this weekend and send it off to you.

For McGuitar: You just need a way to record into your computer and email me the sound files. You can record something first or I can. I'm fine either way.

RobS

I record with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I'll try to come up with something to send (MP3's are okay, right?), or if you want to send something my way first, that's cool too.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

C'mon guys- Let's get it going! I'd love to do something with you two- Guit and NMcGuitar.

DrummerRob strikes me as a cool guy, but we can try something between ourselves while we're waiting for those grooves. I've got an idea he's gonna come up with something special so maybe we should practise a bit until he's ready. Not to put any pressure on you there DrummerRob!!! Just got a hunch you are pretty good.

Hi guys, I'm really glad you all are interested. I couldn't do anything this weekend as I had ex-girlfriend things to attend too...sigh.

Anyway, I look forward to putting something together with you guys.

AND, I told my bass player that I initiated something here online and he is totally into the idea. He is bringing over his gear tomorrow so we can record every lunch break and one night a week.

SO, I think we'll have a 16-bar groove ready to send out tomorrow, I hope.

Lets do a roll call of sorts so we can assign a part to everyone up to this point.

Drums = Rob (me)

Bass = Scott

Vocals = James (you'll right lyrics too, right?)

NMcGuitar, guitplayer, James = How do you want to divy up guitar chores? Rythm, Acoustic Rythm, and Lead? Anyone play something extra?

guitplayer, sure I'd like to do some recording. How cool is that, you in SD already to go.

Here is a little history on me too, just for FYI. Maybe you guys can chime in and let me know what you are about.

Robert, 37,living in San Diego. I have a 7-piece acoustic set ready for rock, funk, and pop music. I also have a 4-piece jazz kit for jazz swing and other traditional music. I've been playing for 2 years. I'm intermediate in skill which means I'll have to practice for our grooves/songs...;-) I will tell you that I have some friends who have been playing music for a long time and say I've got the "gift"....lol. So hopefully they aren't snow-jobbing me. I like all types of music except anything too angry like rap and the heavier metal styles. I like Dave Mathews Band, Creed, Bare Naked Ladies, Sting, Wallflowers, Hootie and the Blowfish, Journey, Yo Yo Ma, and many newer bands.

I will learn cello this year, as well as some guitar (acoustic and electric), and some simpler flutes (penny, recorders, fifes) and harmonica. If I could live forever I would learn ever instrument. I'm a late starter in life and music but I'm very obsessed about it, so the time is right for me to be here.

I don't care about what ages any of you are as long we can play and have a great time doing it. Music can bridge any generation gaps....lol.

Also, I think it should be made clear to everyone that we are all doing this for fun but you shouldn't contribute anything that you don't want to hear on the internet someday...;-) Feel free to use any of my drum tracks any way you wish. I plan on sharing what we do with friends, musicians or not, and I encourage everyone else to share what we do too. In other words - no restrictions. Does that sound good to everyone else?

NOW, LETS HAVE A BLAST!!!

RobS

Rob,

Yeah I was kindof figuring on writing the lyrics, but Guitplayer is pretty skilled himself so whatever works is fine with me.

I'm 38 and been playing guitar for over twenty years, but only seriously for about a year now. I was lead singer in bands for most of those 20 years. I find I don't have the time, or interest to be honest, to play clubs anymore. I'm more interested on focusing on the originals that dance in my head. My biggest problem is I tend to be a general idea kindof guy and need help on the details. My influences run pretty pop-ish to rock. If I had to describe my sound/style, I'd say something of a mix between U2, Rick Springfield (not Bruce!), and Bryan Adams. Even when I try to write something "hard", it ends up pop-ish.... My vocal range is pretty close to Bono's and I've no problems covering any of his stuff. I can cover most Sting/Police and Bryan Adams, but some of their songs are a real strain on me and if I'm not careful, one song can blow my voice out for the night.

I'll try to put together a couple of my scratch tracks.

Let's see....

I'm 39. Been playing guitar for about 36 years. When I'm "in shape" I'm decent, but I tend to go for stretches without playing sometimes and my chops suffer. Stylistically, I tend towards blues, classic rock, and hard rock (think Aerosmith, not Korn), although I've played a wide range of stuff over the years.

I can play (or maybe I should say "try to play" ;) ) whatever part you want me to. I usually fall somewhere between "lead" & "rhythm" and just play whatever feels right. I can also put down acousric and/or 12-string parts if we want.

I've got a couple of tracks I did recently for a theatrical production that I'll try to load somewhere so y'all can hear them.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Guitplayer, I have to say you've got some cool stuff online. You far outclass me in skill. The good thing about drums though is that you can keep it simple and still feel like you contributed to the song.

My bassplayer didn't bring his gear today so it looks like tomorrow will be more likely.

RobS

Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

I'd like to do something fun!

Let's go for it... :wave:

I guess you're going to post what you record... I'll keep my eyes out for it! Maybe we'll get a "bunch" of folks giving their take on the basic tracks...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

To all,

I have a roughest of rough cuts to post. It is only 16 bars of "stuff"....one groove really but at least it'll give you a feel for what Scott and I are submitting for you all. As I said, its a one-take shot and falls out of time but I'll tighten it up this weekend.

I'll set up a website tonight and post there. Stay tuned.

Also, feel free to submit your guitar tracks or "thumbnails". I'd love to develope a drum groove to stuff thats already established too.

RobS

Hey all. I'd love to get in on this also. If you need any rhythm or lead tracks, let me know. I use acid pro to record my stuff. It works out just peachy for me. I can send tracks when needed. Hope I can help. I can't sing though!!! LOL

Sorry everyone. Isabel (the hurricane) left me without power for most of the last 4 days.... I'll try to get a couple of my tunes online A.S.A.P.

Rob - I liked the track (although you might consider a stronger ending ;):D ). It's got a cool groove, and immediately got me thinking of parts to add to it. I'll see what I can put "on tape" (you know, I've got no idea what phrase replaces that these days... :rolleyes: ) in the next couple of days.

guitplayer - your tracks are pretty hip too. I hope you don't show me up too much.

James - have you got stuff online?

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Rob,

I like it! I just got home and plugged it into Sonar. The levels are way too high for me. You're hitting above 0db which in digital they say is pretty bad. Next time could you record it just a little lower please? The groove is cool. Sounds like a cool fast blues groove. I was just fooling around and ran a first take rhythm and lead. (Wanna show off the Goldtop!) Here's my very rough take.... when you get a full track I'll take more time and get some parts down right. Or defer to the other guys! This is a cool project for all and I don't want to in anyway hijack it!

Quick take by James

Neil,

Putting some old stuff I found on DAT up tomorrow, or as soon as I have time. Haven't really done anything lately. I'll post here when I've got it up.

Guit,

Found an old song I'm gonna send to you and see what you think.

Hey guys,

This is beginning to sound perty cool! :cool:

I look forward to hearing it come together.

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Wow,

Where were you guys all at during the Fantasy League Project. GuitPlayer, are you still involved with your team?

I'm looking at that Italy player TOO!

I wasn't expecting to see a thread like this over here on the Guitar Forum. I mainly tapped in over here to let Tedster know that I got the registration papers and fees in for my children to start guitar lessons taught by him at the Excelsior Education Center beginning next Monday evening.

I've been working with FTP transfer of files with my team during the Fantasy Project. It's been really cool working with folks in different countries. I have a guy in Spain and one in Canada on my team, as well as those in the USA.

My strength is in writing lyrics, melodies, and in vocals. I write to just about all styles of music, with the acception of the types mentioned above relative to anger.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Hey Anifa!

It was a little bit of a surprise to see you over here.

I've heard reference to the fantasy league thing. I'm assuming it was something like what we're trying to accomplish here, yes?

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Yeah,

Sounds a lot like what we are doing with the digital file transfers. Technology is great isn't it? We were using .mp3's as work files and then we used Shorten to compress .wav files for the final projects. I had two great engineers on my team, one in Indiana (20to20) and one in Spain (MixterRader)

Once we would get things down to where everyone liked them in .mp3 format, then the person with the part in question would upload a final in .wav format to be collected by our engineers.

I want the completion of the Fantasy League CD... I've been pulling for it big time. I don't know if the other managers would be open to it, but I sure would like to pull talent from Italy into the works. We have Spain, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Norway, Mexico, USA, and I believe a few other involved... truly international. More to the mix would be even better for exposure. I'd like Italy and France both to be involved.... also Germany!

SOMA has two songs up over on Collaborator's Corner, or you can check them out at these two following links:

http://musicbizbuzz.net/soma/hatm.htm

http://musicbizbuzz.net/soma/en_transit.htm

The credits are as listed on the web pages.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

James,

Man, I liked your music! i was able to listen to a couple tracks (or bits of) at work and I'll spend more time tonight. Cool stuff. Do you think I could pick a track and get the seperated tracks from you? and my bass player and i can add our own touch and send off to you?

Along with our current project of course...;-)

RobS

Update Scott and i worked out the arrangement (if i can call it that) last night. At least we know what order our changes come up and we are a little more structured. Tomorrow at lunch we hope to nail something relatively tight....tight enough to send out for the next step.

Originally posted by DrummerRob:

James,

Man, I liked your music! i was able to listen to a couple tracks (or bits of) at work and I'll spend more time tonight. Cool stuff. Do you think I could pick a track and get the seperated tracks from you? and my bass player and i can add our own touch and send off to you?

Along with our current project of course...;-)

RobS

Thanks Rob! Just let me know which song(s) you wanna try something with and I'll send you the seperate pieces if I have them, if not I'll just re-record whatever.

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Your team did a really nice job Anifa! :thu:

I'll mosey on over to the Collaboration Corner and see what's cookin'. Maybe I'll get picked up as a free-agent. :P

Thank you James,

I'm downloading some of your materials right now to listen to as I type.

The Collaboration Corner doesn't seem to be very active anymore, but I am headstrong and committed to the completion of a fully international project CD; I had already been making plans for a marketing strategy and it's not going to be a wasted effort because others.

I dropped a message in over at the Manager's Private Forum on Brakka's site to see about free agents.

I think I'm finally able to put a couple of things up for you all to hear (just to give you an idea). These are from a theatrical production I just did.

Link\'s Lament - electric version

Link - Slow

Link - Funky

This is the first time I've gotten music up here... Is it always this stressful?

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Hi guys. lots of things have been keeping me pre-occupied in the real world but i'm still working on getting a longer, more finished take online. but until then.....

Neil - your stuff sounds great too. While i like the bluesey stuff, I REALLY enjoyed your funky songs, especially the faster version.

RobS

Archived