Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pod sustain problem

Patrick Walsh

Hey there... maybe someone here can help me out.

I use a Pod 2.0 and I've noticed that when I hit a note it dies really quickly without having a natural sustain. Sometimes, I hit a nite and it immediately drops way down in volume and then waivers a bit.

Or I can strum a chord and listen to it dies through the speakers even though the strings are still resonating.

Does anyone else have this problem with the Pod?

Support bacteria: they're the only culture some people have.

- Steven Wright

visit my website at patrickwalsh.net

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "sustain" you get from a POD 2 can and should vary from patch to patch, and different amp gain levels with the same amp model.

On my POD, some patches, like the Soldano models... have almost unlimited sustain as long as the string is vibrating, especially at higher gain levels...

Many of the small Fender amps don't have a similar effect, although I don't normally experience as much of a problem as you describe.

Does this happen on certain or all amp models?

A few obvious things to try. Turn up the gain on that patch... more gain typically means more sustain... (more "grit" also, but hey).

I'd also add compression or more compression.

Sometimes it can sound more "sustained" by adding a quick delay around 5-15ms set at a modest level mix... In the Line6 presets they often do this to get a "fatter" sound...

If it turns out it's happening on high gain amp models like Soldano and Mesa, you may have a problem with your unit... try another POD if you can and see if it does the same thing or not.

Hope some of these ideas help. Good luck!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

You got it, guitplayer.

Every patch has effects. These effects can be changed from the front panel knob. If you use the editing software (Soundiver) you can see what is being done.

It sounds like there is some odd compression in your patch. Perhaps you heed a hotter signal from the guitar for that particular patch. This should vary from patch to patch, though.

The parameters for each patch should be spelled out in the manual.

Another way to get more gain and sustain from your Pod is to run a distortion/overdrive pedal into its front end. It's pretty simple... Grab a Tube Screamer (or something similar) and put it in line between the output of your guitar and the input of the Pod. Adjust the output so that the Pod doesn't clip, and hone in on your tone. Instant sustain and more gain.

You'll thank me later.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Another way to get more gain and sustain from your Pod is to run a distortion/overdrive pedal into its front end. .

Ditto! This is a trick that makes a real monster out of a Pod. I use my Pod just like it was the particular amp I have selected and put my fav. pedals in front of it. Don't use a stage amp anymore, have a killer sound and my ears are safe at last. :thu:

Archived