Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with Effects??

knunchucksammy

Hello,

I am a gigging musician and I play a Taylor 510 ce with a Marshall acoustic amp, and a Les Paul Jr. Special Lite with a Carvin Head/Speakers. I am venturing into effects now and I even like the way effects work on acoustic guitar and feel as though I could make some innovative use out of them.

Here is my Question: Is there some sort of selector box that would allow me to BOTH my acoustic and my electric plugged into the same Boss stomp pedals/Tuner etc. while plugged into the amps? So Acoustic FX to Marshall amp, while AT THE SAME TIME my electric going through the FX line then into the amplifier?

I know it seems odd, but what would be the best option for me? Is there no way to get around turning of the amps when I switch guitars and/or unplugging the guitar from the FX line?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am just a dummy....

Matt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sophisticated effects switcher such as a Digital Music Ground Control or Rocktron Bradshaw Switcher would probably accomplish this. Both are fairly expensive however.

A cheaper option would be to use 2 simple A/B boxes (can be had for around $25 ea. Get units with simple DPDT hard wiring as opposed to FET switching).

Here's how it would work:

1) Both guitars go into A and B jacks of first A/B box.

2) Single output of A/B box goes to effects.

3) Output of effects would go into second A/B box. A and B jacks would each go to a different amp.

So the first box would switch between guitars and the second would switch between amps.

As long as you remembered to switch BOTH boxes, you'd be cool. Otherwise it could be a "Taylor through Marshall" situation.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I have thought about that but here is my only concern: Aren't simple A/B boxes noisy? That would be a great alternative otherwise. Also, where would you suggest buying these simple A/B boxes?

Would the Boss Selector stomp pedal work for this situation?

I am going to research these other suggested items untill I hear another reply.

Thanks Gabe!

It could definitely be noisy. Now that you mention it, ground loops could be a problem with two amps.

Carvin has some nice simple A/B boxes. So do ProCo and Morley. The Boss Selector is just an A/B pedal with FET switching so it wouldn't be an improvement.

Yeah I think these items posted are a little much for what I need. I am only going to use about 3 or 4 different FX and a tuner pedal. I like Tremolo, Phase Shifter, Delay/Reverb, Distortion only really. Maybe some backwards delay :)

Still waiting on your informative reply..

Knunchucksammy

Sorry for the post crazy manner... but are you saying that the Carvin (and others) selector switches will or will not be noisy? You agreed that they might be noisy but then you gave me some recommendations... Not sure what you are trying to say.

I am at the Carvin sight now and though it looks reasonable I did notice that it has 1 input and two outputs. But then the details say that it can be used for input or output so in theory that would be perfect. I can throw my amps on standbye when I am not playing them... Wouldn't that help reduce some of the noise that the switches might cause? I am looking to make a pedal board once I have acquired all the proper things here.

Sorry if I am thick-headed.. lol.

A/B boxes could end up being noisy depending on your setup. Switching the amps to standby won't rectify a ground loop. There are a number of products designed to address ground loops however.

The units I recommended are good if you go the dual A/B box route (vs a switcher). Any hard-wired (non FET) A/B box can be used for dual input/single output or single input/dual output. So two Carvins would work.

Originally posted by mark_dog:

If your concern is noise, you could always use a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor pedal. They run around $100 but it Supresses all the Noise :) . I have one and it works great so you should check it out.

In my setup, the only way to suppress the noise is to take the guitar out of my hands!

:P:D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Archived