Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

revolead

I tried to find some prices and information about this amp online, but aside from the Mesa website, I don't think anyone else has much.

Anyone know about the sound or could link me to a demo of the amp tone?

How does it compare to a Rectifier?

About how much do these cost?

Shut up and play.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mark IV's are cool amps. They are somewhere in the range of $1300 used for a 1x12 combo. New, I think they are about $1800 (????).

They have the ability to swap tube types (6l6, el34, 6v6) for different tonal options, plus swithces for class A or Class AB operation, high power/low power, pentode/triode, etc.

These amps take a while to figure out and dial in, but once you do there are lots of great tones available. Terrific mid and above grind and high gain leads are certainly a strength. Clean tones are good, but not necessarily the best.

Hope this helps.

The Mark IV is a "swiss army" amp. It has 3 preamp channels, sophisticated power amp options, a powerful EQ and at least one effects loop.

This translates into a very versatile amp that is capable of a LOT of different tones.

As tenton said, it can take some time to get the sound you want out of the amp. There's also more to break.

These amps don't really sound like Rectos. The dual and triple Rectifier amps have a more "scooped" sound with more lows and less mids and more gain. That being said, you can get great metal tones out of the Mark IV.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

That's good to know. I figured that the Mark IV didn't produce a genuine Recto tone, but I was looking for something a little less harsh anyways. I like scooped mids and gain, but honesty the Rectos just have too much gain that I woud never make use of, and I own a Metal Zone pedal.
Shut up and play.

I've got a Mark IV and love it, although I'm not too keen on the Rectifier models, they just sound sorta metal or something. The Mark IV on the other hand will sound like whatever you want.

I got mine back in the early 90's when they first came out and it was sixteen bills for a combo.

The only thing I grew to dislike about mine was the whole symul-class business. It's like Carlos said; "The symul-class makes all guitars sound like beer commercial guitars." At any rate, I sent mine back to boogie and had the symul business removed. Now mine switches from 50 watt to 100 watt. It's a real beast.

Note: I don't like metal tone at all. I'm adding mids and not scooping them. I like singing, screaming, endless sustain tone for lead.

Archived