Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

¿Does the wireless system affect your guitar's sound or tone?

Gato

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've A/B'd hardwire and my AKG WMS80 . . . there is definitely an affect on tone (more compressed sound, some loss of "presence" or high freqs). But, not that dramatic and for live performance, IMHO, a no-brainer trade off for the freedom.

For recording, thought, I always run cable.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

I use either a $20.00 cable, or a $250.00 Shure Guitarist Diversity wireless system (VHF), and notice NO difference in sound quality!

My system is about two years old now, so I don't know what you can get for less money, but if you are considering wireless, at least stick with a name brand if you cna't try one out locally. I ordered mine from a major mail order co., but at least went with a good brand.

Karl

Skynyrd fan forever!

I don't know from personal experience, but Buddy Guy thinks there's a difference, or did some years ago when he said it in an interview in Guitar Player. I would think there'd have to be a little difference in most cases, since we all know that cables can color the tone of the guitar.

There is a big difference in sound between cable and wireless. The only exceptions are the old X-Wire and Sennheiser digital wireless units, which are great for acoustic instruments with good quality pickup, mic, or hybrid systems.

Electric players don't hear as much of a difference because they usually compress the guitar sound anyway. But it's easy to spot, if you're listening. Even the highest quality, multi-thousand dollar wireless units are affected. Why?

Because analog wireless systems utilize compression/expansion circuits to maximize the broadcast signal. These circuits never properly expand back to their original dynamics and timbre, hence the compressed sound. They still sound good (for the reason stated above) on most electric guitars and basses. Acoustic timbres are more complex and suffer far worse with analog wireless. Not enough for the average listener to notice or care, but a musician certainly can, and will often dislike the sound.

The digital wireless systems excel for acoustic instruments because they need no compression of the signal, only a hot output of the data stream. This is translated back into an analog signal only after it's been received by the base unit. Clear, crisp, pretty much identical signal to that from a cable. And the best part? Before Sennheiser bought X-Wire, the latter used to supply an instrument to transmitter cable rigged up to react like a standard 18'6" cable. They would also custom wire a connector cable to react like your favorite cable. Talk about attention to detail! :thu:

I have nothing against using most wireless units with my instruments. But is there a difference? Absolutely. Unequivicobly.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

You can always mail order a wireless, and if you are not happy, return it!

Many bands record live albums while using wireless. Yes, it is true that they have the access to better recording and producing equipment than most of us, but the original signal still came through a wireless system!

Try one...I think you gonna like it.

Karl

When possible...cut the cord!!!!!

Skynyrd fan forever!

On the one hand, as Karl says, try it, if ya like it, great. If ya don't, go back to a cable.

Personally, I hate the sound of the few wireless units I tried, years ago. Seemed to turn a roaring amp into a really loud baby monitor or walky-talky...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...

I use an AudioTechnica VHF True-Diversity wireless system now. I tried a UHF unit and found that it it cut my low end response somewhat and provided me with a somewhat sterile/clinical sound.

While the UHF band is less crowded and may provide less interference from outside sources, I'll stick to VHF.

BTW, I found the difference between cord and my VHF unnoticable.

Originally posted by Red Tele:

I use an AudioTechnica VHF True-Diversity wireless system now. I tried a UHF unit and found that it it cut my low end response somewhat and provided me with a somewhat sterile/clinical sound.

While the UHF band is less crowded and may provide less interference from outside sources, I'll stick to VHF.

BTW, I found the difference between cord and my VHF unnoticable.

Your experience has nothing to do with the UHF/VHF bands. It's about the particular units you're comparing. If anything, UHF should (and usually are) better than VHF because the technology has become progressively better, for transmission/reception as well as sound quality, as the technology has progressed.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived