Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Amplifiers! Help! Suggest friend! :)

Mr Guitar player

I'm soon to be in high school, and am in the typical high school band type of thing. I play guitar and really need a better amp. My current ampifier is really crappy and just doesn't cut it. A Muscle M10-G they are called about 10 watts w/ grainy ugly tone... But anyhoo I need a new amp ranging from 50 - 65 watts, good for metal/rock styles, solid state, and somewhat compact. Price I will pay max is 300 - 350 dollars american. So far I have found 2 amps that interest me; The Marshall MG50DFX (50 watts) or the Hughes and Kettner Club Reverb amp (65 watts) And so far I'm leaning towards the Hughes and Kettner cause the other guitarist in my garage high school band wants the marshall one, and I tihk it would be weird if we both have the same amp.

Which one of those 2 would you rather suggest or which one is better than both of them. Please help!

Also while I opened this up.... I might as well not focus it on me so much.

What do you consider to be the best brand for amplifiers (in general)

and define the musical term groove! Like, "boy that song... grooved." Or "this song doesn't have enough groove in it" I think it has something to do with the beat or something.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
define groove-hmm. Well it`s intimately tied to the rhythmic feel of a song. A rhythm that takes a lot of angular turns doesn`t have groove. It`s a quality that makes you want to hear something continue just the way it is, rhythmically speaking. Some people get bored easily but if a groove`s happening they`ll enjoy it as much as anyone.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Nothing wrong with both of you having the same amp. Just work out settings with each other, so both of you get distinct sounds. For instance, maybe one guy can use a slightly scooped sound, while the other person uses more mids. Most people won't care about that anyway; they come to listen to your playing. :)

Personally, for solid state amps, I like Marshall, Fender, Peavey and Randall. The Fenders, Marshalls, and some Peaveys (like the XXL) have amazing, tube-like tones and feel, while getting that edge that only a solid state rig can deliver.

So far I have found 2 amps that interest me; The Marshall MG50DFX (50 watts) or the Hughes and Kettner Club Reverb amp (65 watts) And so far I'm leaning towards the Hughes and Kettner cause the other guitarist in my garage high school band wants the marshall one, and I tihk it would be weird if we both have the same amp.

Also while I opened this up.... I might as well not focus it on me so much.

What do you consider to be the best brand for amplifiers (in general)

.[/QB]

first of all there is no "best" amp. there are lots of different flavors of good amps. personally I like the small tube amps in the studio. the Music Man amps from the 70's are great for live. I can't stand hughes and kettener, never could get a good tone out of those. If your friend has a Marshall why not get a fender? that would be different sounding. I have an old Pro Reverb from the 60's that rocks. 50 watts, the same size as a twin. The new fenders are too bright for my tatses, but you could always turn the treble knob down and use a humbucker gtr.

teddybut

Dude,

Like Taz said, nothing wrong with having the same amp as your buddy. You are going to spend 90% of your time playing out of it by yourself, anyway. Get the one you want. Either would be awesome. Besides, when you sound better than your friend, he's got no excuse. :cool:

I used to know everything.

I'd check out the Peavey XXL (like Tazz said) and also Marshall's AVT series. One of my buds just got an AVT 50 1 x 12" and he likes it a lot. I think he paid closer to $500, but it sounds almost like the tube Marshalls IMO. I good investment, I think.

Check out pawn shops in your area, and try out the amps in your price range. I've got a Peavey Studio Chorus 210 that I bought new in 1994 that just kicks ass. I see a lot of Peavey solid state amps similar to mine in pawn shops, and they're awesome for 80's style metal like Ozzy w/ Randy Rhoads and Iron Maiden stuff. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

The AVT-50 was a good suggestion bluestrat, cause the MG50DFX is basically the same thing but has unnecesary cheesy fx. Except it says that the AVT has an impendance of 4 ohms. is that bad because Im used to seeing 8 ohms all the time for amps, i ahve no idea what that means.

So now my 2 amps to choose are the Marshall AVT 50 and the Hughes & Kettner Attax Club Reverb amp, so far, unless more people suggest, and I try to avoid fender because of fenders weak distortion.

And by the way I have a Samick SG artist seires edition guitar with humbuckers of course. Basically a Gibson SG knock-off.

I have a solid-state Peavey Bandit II 112, and it has a great clean tone, but I never liked the dirty tone on it. I paid 300 after I traded in a couple old practice amps. Street prcie should be about 400. Its 80 watts, and should serve anyone for volume. If you can't find a decent tone on that amp, then you shouldn't be playing guitar. (I know some tube snobs will try to disagree with me on this!)

I do like tube amps better, but at their higher cost, I just haven't been able to afford one yet.

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by Mr Guitar player:

The AVT-50 was a good suggestion bluestrat, cause the MG50DFX is basically the same thing but has unnecesary cheesy fx. Except it says that the AVT has an impendance of 4 ohms. is that bad because Im used to seeing 8 ohms all the time for amps, i ahve no idea what that means.

So now my 2 amps to choose are the Marshall AVT 50 and the Hughes & Kettner Attax Club Reverb amp, so far, unless more people suggest, and I try to avoid fender because of fenders weak distortion.

And by the way I have a Samick SG artist seires edition guitar with humbuckers of course. Basically a Gibson SG knock-off.

The output impedance of an amp doesn't matter much as long as the speaker matches the amp. I've got a 2 ohm output on my Marshall clone and it sounds friggin' awesome!! :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

I would look for a used Tech21 60 or 120. They both have the best SS sound I have ever heard...and this is comming from a DIE HARD tube fanatic. I have been playing for 20+ years and have the following amps...

1993 VHT Pittbull Classic

1974 Marshall MKII

1995 THD Tweed Bassman 4x10 combo

2002 Fargen Bordeaux

All of these amps are heavy hitters when it comes to tone...my cousin just bought a Tech21 120 and I swear to God that thing holds its own against my amps. He paid $460 for it brand new(display model)...so it would probably be in your range used....Good luck..hope this helps. Whatever you do...MAKE THE DECISION BASED ON YOUR EARS!!! Don't do it based on ad campaigns where players who are PAID to advertise an amp claim that it is the best :mad:

Clarify this for me someone with marshall amp knowledge!

I think I'm going to go for the Marshall AVT 50 amp. Because my band buddy will most likely get the Marshall MG50DFX and I want our tones to match somewhat in the marshall tone kind of way. Only problem is it's a little pricey (around 450 bucks on average) and the MG50DFX is around 350 bucks! I don't understand why the Marshall MG50DFX is cheaper, has more effects, and is a newer model. While the AVT's are older, and the AVT 50 doesnt have any effects (except reverb) What makes the AVT more exspensive, whats the difference???

By the way am I supposed to replace that triad tube or whatever it is in the heart of the AVT models after a year or so?

And where would I be able to find an AVT 50? At guitar center? I try to avoid buying online.

I picked up a Marshall AVT 50 head from Guitar Center. They wanted 449.00. I got them down to 400.00, thats including tax. If you want a Marshall solid state amp (has a tube in the preamp) this would be the amp,,sounds great. I also have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 which I swear by, you would think it was a tube amp, another great sounding amp.

yes that does help, and I really want the Tech21 Trademark 60, it looks like a really good amp, lol I keep switching what I want all the time.

The Tech21 60 can mimick the AVT 50 marshall tone I want... and more mimickry of other tones, and is the same price with apparently very good tone and sound quality, plus 10 more watts then the AVT 50, a slight amount of more head room.

You think I should go with this one people? Although they say it weak for metal... but I have a pedal.

And the vintage look is cool.

Anyone know about this amp? what are they problems besisdes it being not good for metal? (again I have a pedal)

I got a Samick SG artist series edition guitar with humbuckers.

You all have been very helpful thank you.

i have heard very good things about tech 21. they have some pretty impressive sound files on thier site. what is really impressive is the guy who did the sound files used a low end pacifica 112. i really like it when good info is given on how the files were created. i actually would like to have the trademark 120. i do like my DG100 but sometimes worry about all the digital guts being less robust than all analog amps like the trademarks.

Originally posted by Mr Guitar player:

Clarify this for me someone with marshall amp knowledge!

By the way am I supposed to replace that triad tube or whatever it is in the heart of the AVT models after a year or so?

And where would I be able to find an AVT 50? At guitar center? I try to avoid buying online.

You don't have to replace the 12AX7 triode unless it gets noisy. Preamp tubes aren't subjected to the same amount of heat that power tubes have to suffer. If you do have to replace the tube, they cost maybe $10 for a suitable replacement. It's pretty much a non-issue.

I know Guitar Center has the AVT 50. Played through it quite a few times. I love it. Not many effects, and I turn the reverb off for just pure, raw Marshall tone. Not for everyone, but it really speaks to me. :thu:

Also, note that the MG combos use closed back cabs, while the AVT's use the usual open back cabs that most combos use.
Tazz,

I'm wanting to say that the Marshall AVT 100 had a closed back with two 12's in it, but I can't remember. Are you sure they're open? It's got that undeniable Marshall Chunk!!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

I have a Tech21 Trademark 60. It's my main amp for about 5 years. It's superb sounding, light, very reliable, but It doesn't do metal. Every other generic rock sound is great, but not metal. Also I did't get a usable sound with a pedal. Especialy if you have a "cheap guitar", it's pickups would probably get you only in the AC/DC area. Otherwise a beautiful amp, I just would't reccomend it to you.

Dragos

sigh that depress's me. I finally thought I found the amp I want, then, this happens. I'll try it out for myself and see for sure...

I dont know what I want now, you guys suggest expensive amps...

$350 is my range!

I'm not made of money you know... give me a good budget amp I'm desperate here... The hughes and kettenr silver edition??? its cheap... but might be good....

I am also in a high school band, and tend to buy things that are 'not expensive' (I'm cheap.).

I have a Peavey Rage 15 w/out reverb, which I learned on, but what I currently use is a Fender Champion 30. I personally like the bluesy distortion when on lower gain, and if you have a pedal, you will not regret the excellent clean tones out of the amp. The FX are also better than passable to me, especially the reverb.

It's about $225.

Actually, I like it when a band has exactly the same amp. That's what the Yardbirds do on stage with their AC30's I believe.

Hey Mr. GP.

Groove is a term that has lost its meaning because so many people use it to simply mean, "I like that song". But groove should refer to the the rhythm and the way it accents certain beats or it uses certain devices like synchopation. It really depends on the style of music these days. If its jazz, you have to push the eighth note toward the followin even beats but not too much. If its funk, you have to play behind the beat. Don't worry about the word "groove" and just find music that makes your body want to move. Then try to figure out what they are doing. Or, better yet, don't figure it out. Just emulate it, until you make yourself and others want to move (with the music, not away).

Also please don't get hung up on brand names of amplifiers. Marshall sells an unbelievable amount of crap because if has a name. Truthfully, they haven't manufactured a decent amp since the JCM 800 series. Since then, it has been what we call diode clipping. If you like that sound, don't pay thousands of dollars for it. It is a cheap sound and can be accomplished with cheap amplifiers. Basically, play enough amps until you know what you like. a lot of guys that I know, myself included, passed up unbelievable deals on great equipment because it wasn't what our favourite band was playing or it wasn't cool to our friends. Let your ears and your pocket book do your choosing. Do yourself a favour and look at any old tube amp that may be beat to shit but sound cool. Nothing to lose from a listen. Also, before you buy used, make sure there is someone in your town that is well respected with that technology. Tube technology and solid state are not the same. You're often better to find an old, old TV repair guy or HAM radio guy for tube amp repair. I've seen some really terrible things done to tube amps by otherwise good solid state repairmen. Let me know how you make out.

Murf

well so far me and my friend are searching for an amp, I would get a tube amp but they are damn expensive, even used, at times...

and we are still interested in the Kustom Quad 65 (or 100) DFX. We haven't tried it out yet but will this week, lately we've been going to local guitar shops and trying out amps. So far it's going to either be The Kustom amp, the Line 6 spider 50 watt amp, or the Marshall MG50DFX... we tried the last two and are kinda stuck between them....

Archived