Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Recording Guitar Recomendation ?

Chris Maxin

Hi guys, Im looking to get an acoustic for around a grand (out the door price) with an emphasis on recording. Id like a cutaway if possible with neck binding and nice inlays. Im looking at a Takamine FD360sc,... any good for this ? any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks , Chris

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a Larrivee L-9 once upon a time that was one of the best recording guitars I've ever played...

It was just so well balanced and played easily...

Some guitars can seem a bit overdone on the bass or perhaps too bright, or maybe unbalanced in some other way... this one was "just right"...

I've also played and heard many nice Takamine's as well so if it's "talking to you"... then pull the trigger!

Someone's gonna point you at the Carvin Colbalt Series guitars... They're real nice, and modestly priced. I would think they record well!

Finally don't forget used. For a grand you might be able to find a sweet used Martin, Gibson, Taylor... or other guitar that wouldn't have been affordable new...

guitplayer

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Take a listen to my Cobalt C980 at www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/boggspage9.html on tracks 1,3,4,& 5. It has all you mentioned and lots of paua shell inlay work and then some! Tayloresque build quality. Neck is 1.71" wide at the nut which is wider than the Tak (I think typically 1.62"), but not quite as wide as a Taylor (1.75") which is an excellent compromise for fingerpicking and strumming. Action and setup are extremely consistent guitar-to-guitar (I tested this at the factory store) and they sound and play fantastic! See them at www.carvin.com/cobalt . Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. I'd stay away from dreadnaughts in general 'cause they tend to be a bit muddy, boomy.

Couple of years ago I was looking for my recording acoustic. Being a primarily electric player I really didn't have a good acoustic. I happened by a Taylor Dreadnaught: Anniversary XXV-DR. I couldn't pass up. Too great a deal. Oh well. It's a great guitar. I just drop the low mids. Sounds great.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by Chris Maxin:

...with neck binding and nice inlays. ...

Chris,

Binding and inlays? Worry about the sound.

I have found that some of the nicest recording guitars are relatively small bodied, and don't have a lot of boom or presence in a room.... but something magic happens whemn you put a mic in front of them. (Just as the "Biggest" sounding drums on recordings tend to be physically small drums.)

I also seem to prefer all maple instruments for recording, particularly when I am finger picking. The extra brightness helps.

In my experience acoustic guitars either speak to me or they don't. And EVERY acoustic guitar, independent of model, make, color, or wood, has it's own individual sound. So rather than worry about a given model, go from store to store with a price range in mind, and play the mnodels in that price range. Sooner or later, one of them is going to say to you, "Hey Bud. I'm your guitar. Buy me. NOW!"

Don't be in a hurry to spend your money. You will know your guitar when it talks to you.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Thanks guys. all your advise is heeded. I checked out the Cobalt on the web. The wider nut would be good for my lower register picking as long as the upper registers on neck isnt any wider than normal. they look really good. I also seen the Martin Dm and Dr series on the web. are they any good or is it a capitol on the name ? Hard to find a used classic at any moment for the price i need. I do like to hear them so im taking names for when i hit the road to the music stores. Thanks again.

Chris, if you really are ready to purchase a guitar, i would suggest getting the Carvin on your credit card and using the 10 days to take it to various shops to compare head-to-head. They are really good about their return poicy and all you "risk" is the $20 shipping back. If you call up Carvin to talk about various models or policies or procedures, select the guitars choice on the prompt and ask for Sean or Marco and tell them that Boggs refered you. You don't have to buy at the time of the call, so no worries there. Just a suggestion. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Chris,

You've gotten some good advice here. Do check out some used guitars. There are soooo many good guitars out there that the prices on used instruments have dropped a bit, especially on the middle line guitars (new prices of around 2K).

a few thoughts... do go for the sound first. inlay/bindings/etc really don' add anything the studio.

Go for all solid woods. At $1000 a number of campanies are selling solid woods and a number are still selling laminates. Solids sound better, generally reflect a higher level of care in construction, are easier to repair should they need it, hold their value more.

don't get too excited about built-in electronics. They tend to be only of passable quality (not particularly usefull for recording)

1 3/4 fingerboards are becoming standard on acoustic guitars and virtually all high end acoustics have them or wider ones

A couple of guitars I would check out - the Taylor 100 series are great for the money. The rainsongs are very nice, sturdy guitars and you might find a used one in your price range

larrivee makes a number of guitars in your price range that are great buys

a few of the tacomas are worth a look. Personally, I'd stay away from Taks. They are constructed to be able to take abuse rater than to sound good

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Man, nobody's mentioned Lowden. Magnificent guitars and record fabulously with a nice condenser mic just bridge-side of the hole. They are elegantly "plain."

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

I play a Lowden and have since 1987 (hear mine at the mp3 link below). They are my guitar of choice but you'd be hard pressed to find one under a grand. If you can find a Japanese made Lowden from the early 80's it might be in that price range. An Irish made model would most likely run about 1500 or so used and around 2K new.

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Archived