Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitars and the environment/nature.

elferoony

I am a bit concerned about what animal is used to make a bone nut, because I am becoming a vegetarian.

I even heard of ivory nuts, how could those slip by the authorities?

Also, how about the ethics of the woods used for guitars?

Lastly...tortoiseshell picks? Surely that's illegal? :confused:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted a thread on this a while ago-may be too late to retrieve it. There`s a group-I think the site is www.tonewood.org

sustainable woods only-a good idea and something that deserves more attention. There`s a guy who posts here sometimes named Tuskbuffer, who makes guitar accessories from non-destructive, legal ivory. Worth checking out.

Tortoiseshell goods have been illegal in the U.S. since 1976-picks can be purchased legally in many other places, including here.

An alarming number of woods commonly used in guitars are officially listed as `endangered`-I didn`t exactly get a flood of responses when I brought it up before-maybe you`ll do better.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

To be true to your new outlook, you should only play acoustic instruments and don't use computers or any other electronic devices. The mining and polluting manufacturing done for the sake of capacitors, steel, aluminum, and computer chips is defeating your conscience.

I would suspect the computer your are using, and the infrastructure to design, manufacture, and deliver it, caused more damage to the environment than a bone nut.

thanks - but the link to tonewood.org is dead.

Originally posted by paostby:

To be true to your new outlook, you should only play acoustic instruments and don't use computers or any other electronic devices. The mining and polluting manufacturing done for the sake of capacitors, steel, aluminum, and computer chips is defeating your conscience.

I would suspect the computer your are using, and the infrastructure to design, manufacture, and deliver it, caused more damage to the environment than a bone nut.

But I want to do what can easily be done in my power.

They don't make tortoiseshell picks in the U.S. anymore. Nor ivory nuts - except for our fellow forumite TuskBuffer, who makes picks, and nuts, from mammoth ivory. Since mammoths are already extinct there are no legal or ethical issues. Most bone nuts are made from cattle bones.

And yes, some of the woods that make up guitars are from endangered species of rainforest trees. Paostby is also correct that a lot of the manufacturing processes, like nitrocellulose finishes, are destructive to the environment. Honestly, vegetarians mean well but in reality a lot more animals, including endangered species, are killed for the sake of growing soybeans.

If you want to be environmentally responsible, eat local food (whether meat or vegetables). Befriend some organic farmers in your area who are responsible, so you know where your food comes from and how it's grown. And just buy used guitars - that won't cause any more damage than was already done when it was made for the original owner.

Originally posted by hariseldon:

I don't quite understand what the materials used in guitar manufacturing have to do with your being a vegetarian? :confused:

I agree. Dude, guitars aren't supposed to be eaten. Everything in the world is potentially hazardous to the environment. You ecofreaks get all the same. I'm all for preserving the forests, but we have to live too. If you wanna play guitar, you're gonna have to sacrifice a tree every now and then. And if you want to eat your gonna have to shoot a chicken every now and then.

I don't care why you're a vegetarian, religious reasons or what not, but lets keep the liberal crap out the forum and stick to the REAL issues, like how we're all going to conjure up enough money for that dream axe.

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revolead:

Originally posted by hariseldon:

I don't quite understand what the materials used in guitar manufacturing have to do with your being a vegetarian? :confused:

I agree. Dude, guitars aren't supposed to be eaten. Everything in the world is potentially hazardous to the environment. You ecofreaks get all the same. I'm all for preserving the forests, but we have to live too. If you wanna play guitar, you're gonna have to sacrifice a tree every now and then. And if you want to eat your gonna have to shoot a chicken every now and then.

I don't care why you're a vegetarian, religious reasons or what not, but lets keep the liberal crap out the forum and stick to the REAL issues, like how we're all going to conjure up enough money for that dream axe.

revolead-

What `liberal crap` are you referring to?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The liberal crap is the environmental freaks and greenpeace guys who go around and tell me what I'm doing is wrong. Whatever. I really don't feel like debating politics. I realize he wasn't suggesting protecting the environment, but honestly I was a little insulted by his question.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revolead:

The liberal crap is the environmental freaks and greenpeace guys who go around and tell me what I'm doing is wrong. Whatever. I really don't feel like debating politics. I realize he wasn't suggesting protecting the environment, but honestly I was a little insulted by his question.

... no one told you what was right or wrong , the guy is just looking for info so he can do what is right for him.....chill :D

Also, how about the ethics of the woods used for guitars?

Come on! You're not a guitar player. Who do you think you're bullshitting? Becoming a vegetarian leads you to the "use of wood" issue? You've quite a laundry list of concerns for just starting to convert your eating-lifestyle. You're a full-blown bleeding heart liberal.

For all non-Californians, this is the kind of crap we have to put up with in this state. If you don't agree with the liberal agenda, you get this shit! You gonna vote to keep Gray in office too?

I've got one word for you: ARNOLD!

I'd call this SPAM, but I don't think it would offend you, as I'm pretty sure there isn't any real meat in the original Spam.

Here's a quick quiz to see if you're a guitar player: Who designed the Les Paul? :( I don't think anyone has ever painted a peace sign on an LP, so (s)he's screwed!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

My take on the whole rain-forest debate is that South Americans are chopping down their rain-forests wether we like it or not (for ranch lands - cattle) so why not use what they would otherwise burn? I hate to see developers around here burning trees after they've been felled. It's such a big waste when you can't even buy a decent piece of wood in Home Depot or Lowe's these days (especialy Lowe's, a lot of their stuff is made of wood strips glued together. :( )

Bone nuts. Cows are going to be slaughtered. Use as much of the animal as possible. Tan the hide for shoes, eat the meat, use the horn (send it all to me! I need a new powder horn! :) ) and use the bone. Conserve our resources.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Wow.

Cut the guy some slack here.

Whether you agree with him or not, he has made a choice to try to be better to the planet. It's his choice for his lifestyle, and he doesn't come across as trying to push it on anyone else. Just looking for info.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

...and before anyone asks, no, I'm not a vegetarian (I belive that vegetables are what food eats). I also work as a theatre technician - I use a lot of wood (and styrofoam, and PVC, and all kinds of other stuff).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Wow.

Cut the guy some slack here.

Whether you agree with him or not, he has made a choice to try to be better to the planet. It's his choice for his lifestyle, and he doesn't come across as trying to push it on anyone else. Just looking for info.

Silly moderates.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Come on! You're not a guitar player. Who do you think you're bullshitting? Becoming a vegetarian leads you to the "use of wood" issue? You've quite a laundry list of concerns for just starting to convert your eating-lifestyle. You're a full-blown bleeding heart liberal.

For all non-Californians, this is the kind of crap we have to put up with in this state. If you don't agree with the liberal agenda, you get this shit! You gonna vote to keep Gray in office too?

I've got one word for you: ARNOLD!

I'd call this SPAM, but I don't think it would offend you, as I'm pretty sure there isn't any real meat in the original Spam.

Here's a quick quiz to see if you're a guitar player: Who designed the Les Paul? :( I don't think anyone has ever painted a peace sign on an LP, so (s)he's screwed![/QB]

Well, I am not saying I am 100% or even mostly hypocrisy free. I just wanted to know what the situation was.

Thanks for the help, guys. I did not know it was cattle bone used to make nuts.

If I'm not mistaken, Ted McCarty designed the Les Paul.

Archived