Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turning a left-handed into a right-handed one...

E-Lambo

I play a right-handed guitar flipped over. It works fine with some guitars, but with others it's a mess - the knobs are in the way and I can't reach the highest frets. I typically buy a left-handed guitar then flip the nut around and restring like a right-handed guitar. On a strat this is very easy, but I wonder how difficult it would be on a Les Paul (which I'm about to buy). I don't know if I'll need to replace the bridge and stop-tail or if I can just adjust what's there.

Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can absolutely do it with a LP without buying different parts, it's no more difficult than with a Strat. And if you change the nut and intonate it you're a step ahead of Hendrix, who never did either, which is why his tuning sounded like a Javanese funeral procession on crack sometimes...

BTW, Otis Rush does what you do, plays a lefty guitar but with righty stringing (high E nearest your head).

I feel your pain, I play lefty (with lefty stringing). I hate knobs under my arm so I usually buy lefties. The exception is my LP which was given to me, the only way I'll ever afford one!

Chad - you're the perfect person to ask this question: do you think it's too clumsy to play your "upside-down" Les Paul since the body of the guitar prevents you from reaching the upper frets. Also, did you place a new strap button somewhere, and if so, where?

I have no problem with "upper frets" since I so seldom play above the 16th, and the LP has 16 clear of the body. I can squeak up to 18 if I want to, but rarely do. Just not my thing.

I did put a strap button on the butt end of the neck heel, it seems to balance the guitar better for me.

I ended up buying a right-handed Les Paul. I played around with it and didn't have a problem getting to the upper frets. Like you, I don't really go up there much anyway.

Also, I talked to a tech about flipping the lefty around into a righty and he pointed out that the bridge can't be correctly intonated after a switch. Looking closely at the angle of the bridge I see what he means - there's just no room to compensate for the highest and lowest strings without redrilling 2 holes and repositioning the bridge.

This is part of the reason decided on a right-handed guitar. That and the fact that there's just not much to choose from in left-handed Les Pauls.

Archived