Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First song you ever learned on guitar

J J

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by James-Italy:

"Children of the Sun" by Billy Thorpe. It's a cool 3-chord groove that is really easy, but lots of fun. Followed that up with "House of the Rising Sun" and "Wild Thing".

:eek:

Wha...!!!??? Do you mean THE Billy Thorpe? As in Billy (Most People I Know Think That I'm Crazy)Thorpe and The Aztecs???!!! :eek:

Originally posted by gotMYgit:

Hey - Billy's alright!No flies on Billy! But....Bergamo Italy??? Very few people outside of Oz would have heard of Billy. :thu:

Actually, I'm American. Grew up in Florida and lived there till I was 25. Billy Thorpe was pretty big in the US. You'd probably be surprised by how many guys here know of him (or at least have heard his songs). "Children of the Sun" was a really cool song to learn first- easy, fun, was playing on the radio at the time, and you can play it with 3 guys and it sounds ok. (Billy had a massive phaser or something going on I think)

Good stuff anyway. Don't have any CD's of his or anything... going go check out Amazon now and see if they've got a greatest hits or something.

Actually he's made a come back here in recent years - he even played at the Olympics closing ceremony. And last year headlined a legends of Oz Rock show called Long Way to the Top.He had the original 60's Aztecs line-up and the 70's drug crazed hippy line-up including Lobby Lloyd.Well all I can say is - far out,man!A video is available of the Long Way To the Top concert. Also there was a documentary TV series that preceded the concert, which has some great old footage of Billy. Check this out http://www.abc.net.au/longway/artist_index/billythorpe.htm

"Day Tripper" was my first song, except it took me a while to figure out that whole part where it modulates to B. :D

I actually probably learned "House of the Rising Sun" first. Pretty standard for the geezer set. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Jedro:

I think the first full song I could play was Kiss' "Detroit Rock City". I could play bits and pieces of other songs, but that was the first one that I knew all the parts. I think "More Than a Feeling" and "Rock 'n' Roll Hoochie Coo" came after that. Did somebody say keep on rockin'?

"More Than A Feeling" was the first solo I ever learned (more-or-less) correctly.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Hi all. This is my 1st post here, but I couldn't resist!

It was Pipeline, also from Play Guitar with the Ventures. Now that I have musical children of my own, I realize just how much my parents must have loved me to put up with that tune again and again and again .......

I broke it up with Gloria and then Land of 1000 Dances (one chord!). :D

"It's better to wear out than to rust out!"

I'm not afraid to admit it!! But I can't remember??????!!!! It was too long ago. It was either Walk Don't Run or Rebel Rouser. Judging by some of the replies I judge that most of you whipersnappers probably don't even know who even did those songs.

my first was with my left hand cliffs of dover,and with right hand and feet the drums of that song,,,,,,,,,,,,,,f,,,,,,,,,,,,,k drumer..............

INDEED my first was nothing else matters,,metallica,only the open string notes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Drumers are jealously,,,,,,,,nobody talks about them,,,,,,,,,,nobody can see them in aconcert,,,,,,,,jajajajajjajajajja :D

NI SI,,,,,NI NO,,,,,,SINO TODO LO CONTRARIO...............

Originally posted by mjmclane:

I'm not afraid to admit it!! But I can't remember??????!!!! It was too long ago. It was either Walk Don't Run or Rebel Rouser. Judging by some of the replies I judge that most of you whipersnappers probably don't even know who even did those songs.

"Walk, don't run" - Dick Dale

"Rebel Rouser" - Duane Eddy

I'm 28 (today, in fact), does that make me a young whipper-snapper? :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived