Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp for Student

mgauf

I am looking for versatile 2-channel guitar amp that my 12-year-old son can cart to jazz band concerts and use in his fledging heavy metal band. (I won't let him take my Peavey Classic 30 out of the house.).

Because of his age and the situation. I'd like to spend LESS THAN $300. Recommendations welcomed.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, welcome to the forum. :wave: If you haven't spent any time here yet, please do. We try to be a pretty good group of folks ;) .

I would recommend getting a Line6 Flextone II. They are great amps. They are very versitile, and will allow your son to get the different kinds of sounds required for such different styles of music. Look on ebay, they have been selling for about $200-$300 (the floor pedal will be a little extra, but the amp doesn't require it).

I play a very wide variety of styles, and the Flextone II is my primary amp. I've been very happy with it for several years.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

If you're looking for an amp you can use for jazz and rock I think the classic choice is a Fender Prosonic. They stopped making them, but you can probably get a 2x10 combo on ebay for 5-600 dollars. I know that's more than you're looking to spend, but a great choice nonetheless. I had one when I was in high school for that exact purpose, and it was loud, versitile, portable, and red. Also, one thing to keep in mind with a tube amp is that the louder the amp is the heavier and less portable it's going to be for a younger player.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Originally posted by mgauf:

I am looking for versatile 2-channel guitar amp that my 12-year-old son can cart to jazz band concerts and use in his fledging heavy metal band. (I won't let him take my Peavey Classic 30 out of the house.).

Because of his age and the situation. I'd like to spend LESS THAN $300. Recommendations welcomed.

The metal band might like the sound of the new Vox Brian May model. It's under $200. I have no idea what it would sound like on jazz though. Maybe with the savings, pick up a used Roland Cube 40 for jazz work.

The Fender Blues Junior gets a lot of good word of mouth, too.

There is always the Line6 POD, plugged into any amp.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'd vote for the Line 6 FlexTone II also.

I don't own one, but I played a Les Paul Standard on one at a dealer's and was impressed by the amp (not so much by the LP).

The FlexTone III replaces the FlexTone II, so the "II" is a relative bargin now, but still has plenty of features.

Dave

PS, I've got a Roland JC55 and a Randall Pro Tube II

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

another vote for the Flextone II.

I tried one the other day beside a Vox Valvetronix and it just blew it away.

Behringer also do low $ modelling amps not sure on the quality thou.

Ernie

If in doubt leave it Out !

I don't think that Brian May amp would be any where near loud enough to play with a drummer. It's for recording and practice.

I check around for a used Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber. It could do both with real tone and 25 watts is plenty to keep up with a drum set.

Another route would be any tube Fender with reverb. For Metal add an overdrive box.

Archived