Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Value of Les Paul Jr. with headstock repair

Bobbo

I recently repaired a 1961 Les Paul Jr. (shaped like an SG with a single P-90). It had the typical cracked neck behind the headstock. I repaired it for my nephew and it plays realy well and is in excellent condition otherwise. The repair came out good and is still noticable but not bad. Doesn't even have any fretwear. I assume the man he bought it from just put it in the closet after the neck was broken . My nephew asked me what the value of the guitar is now and I didn't know..I was wondering if anyone knows by what percentage a neck repair reduces the value of the guitar..

I thought maybe some of you have had experience with this problem. Any input would be appreciated so I could relay the info back to my nephew..

Thanks.....Bobbo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've seen guitars like that in shops for not terribly less than if the neck hadn't been broken and repaired in the first place, but I can't tell you any "blue book" figures. In fact, there is a blue book for guitars, written by George Gruhn. Check there, and have a couple of reputable shops check the guitar out, as well.

From your description, and if the repair is properly done, that sounds like a cool axe! I wouldn't be looking to sell it, were it mine!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well if you take it to a music store for trade or sell outright, you'll get a fifth of its value, and come back a week later and you'll see it for sale at least that much more priced. Those are great rock guitars, especially for slide work. P90's are the sheeeeeeeit!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I've got a Les Paul Deluxe that needs the headstock replaced. I got it for nothing and geting this repair is probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford a LP. I'm going to get it fixed and keep it. Maybe in 50 years it'll be worth a whole lot, but I just want to play it!

For the record, I just love cool old "vintage" guitars that get labeled as "player's" guitars due to things like cracks and breaks that are well repaired, refinishes, routing for unoriginal hardware and electronics, etc., as opposed to being "collectors" guitars with insane pricetags.

Gheeze, they're ALL "player's" guitars, aren't they?!?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

For the record, I just love cool old "vintage" guitars that get labeled as "player's" guitars due to things like cracks and breaks that are well repaired, refinishes, routing for unoriginal hardware and electronics, etc., as opposed to being "collectors" guitars with insane pricetags.

Gheeze, they're ALL "player's" guitars, aren't they?!?

yep...I have an old 1969 Les Paul Deluxe with the mini humbuckers that I gig with sometimes, although I mostly play a Strat..When I got the LP Deluxe it also had a broken neck that I had to repair but it plays just as well as one with an unbroken neck.The finish is awfull but it has "character"..

My nephew was very happy with the repair on the LP Jr. This is his first guitar and even though he has only been playing for about 6 months, he is realy learning fast..In a year or so he will probably be out playing me...

Archived