Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low-watt rack-mount tube amps

strong_rod

Does anyone know of a low-watt rack mount tube amp. I'm using a rack-mount preamp and would like a rack-mount amp, too.

Why? Less pieces of equipment to carry around.

Low watts, because I don't need to blow down any walls. 15-25 would be plenty.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only rackmount poweramps that come to mind are all massive wattage, even 50 sounds like overkill for you, so I can't reallt think of anything smaller. Anyone know if they even make rackmount amps in that wattage?
Shut up and play.

Racks are, by nature, heavy. low wattage amp is going to weigh less if it is not racked.

There are a boatload of project amp pages on the web, and all of these can be built into a rack-mount chassis if you need it done. Try the AX-84 pages.

It is also possible to get the schematics from an old tube amp and build it... I'm looking at a Vox tube amp, with some simple circuit mods, in the 18 watt range. But I'm going to build mine into a small, light case with an internal speaker. I want to be able to take the bus to a gig! (g)

There is a company that builds all sorts of cool guitarist's things, including custom amps. If you go to their factory, they put you through a bunch of gear, and when you find "your" sound, they build an amp for you that has that sound as it's zero point... turn the amp on, and put all the controls at flat, and that is "your" sound. One of the guys with Marty Stuart turned me on to them, then I met one of the company guys at NAMM last month. ESP is the company, and have 1-615-847-0411 as their phone number.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2552207187&category=23787

These had great reputation when they were made, but at $1000 were overpriced. Getting one used for $400 might be worth it.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

I was thinking about this thread and knew I had come across something... check out http://www.twisteramps.com

They build single-ended power amps to use with whatever pre-amp set-up you have. Their stock design isn't rackmountable but they may be willing to work with you on that...

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Archived