Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you think about Yngwie`s guitar-playing?

Yngwie

Yngwie may not be the epitome of classical/baroque/romantic music, but in my mind he will always stand out. He's not one of my favorite guitars, but what he has contributed to guitarists is a sort of neoclassical revival, so that many who did not or have not heard the classical roots of Hendrix, Django, Charlie Christian, you name it. All of those types of music were developed out of "classical" music. Bethoveen was just as radical in his day as Malmsteen is today. Was he an asshole? I've read sources that say not (Beethoven's Hair), but do we really know? I agree Malmsteen's attitude sucks, and his ego is only surpassed by Everest, but the underlying theme of his music is not his attitude. Its just like sports players. Barry Bonds is my favorite baseball player. He has a bad ego, but that won't change the fact that he has 73 homeruns to show for it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but saying Malmsteen is "just" a masturbator or pyrotechniques wizard, doesn't mean he can't play. He's good at what he does and whatever you want to classify that as, I will leave up to you. His music is now immortal, as all music is, whether you like it or not. Yngwie's flashy playing may grow tiresome to the jazz musician or blueshound, but no one can deny his talent or influence on the world of guitar.

Shut up and play.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i haven't been here for months, but here is my 2 cents. YJM is gifted technicaly and he has a great tone . but there have been players less technical and fast that have given me goosebumps. as for playing a composition with something to say instead of just stringing licks together , i would call Randy Rhoads solo in "revelation mother earth" to be far superior in giving me that feeling. the song is far superior to any of YJM's compositions. i need my music to be more emotional. :D

Archived