Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Your Style?

Tim Clark

On rhythm I often like to play on the off-beats, which comes across as jazzy-unless the song is more heavy which some of my originals are. Throwing in some interesting comping-when I can pull it off-completes the package there.

I sprinkle in some blues things on lead but I can`t say it a big part for me at this point-I don`t do nearly the amount of string bending I used to. That may be a jazz influence too, dunno.

I like to think I have an original voice but probably have a mix of jazz, folk (love open strings), classical and some 80s style monster chop-type stuff-again, when I can pull it off.

I like to imply structures, rather than articulate every note of something. I`ll start a pattern, break it up and then spring off into something else-hopefully without getting too far-fetched. In other words, still make sense melodically.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My "style" so to say is that of the Blues. Everything from slow Delta grind to good old swing Blues. I have been influenced by many artists, mostly : SRV, Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, and the Three Kings ( Albert, Freddie and B.B.).

When playing gigs and talking to people during breaks, the comment that I hear the most is "get rid of the lead guitarist and do it all yourself.." Well, very seriously, Thank you, but no thanks. Been there, done that, not interested. As Boggs quoted above in the other responses, "prefer to be the color..."

AMEN..Brother..AMEN

And as always...remember...This is just my road weary opinion.

I recently asked myself the same question. And analyzing the music that I play right now I found heavy influences of guitarist from the bands I listened to when I was younger. In no particular order those are Dave Murray (Iron Maiden), Kim Thayil (Soundgarden),Dave Mustaine, Page, Hendrix and more recently Tom Morello and Dave Grohl. Of course I don't play leads like those guys, I mainly play rhythm, so it's hard not to be influenced by some of those mentioned :)

Dragos

i am more blues like in my own sucky way. i do have a signature that is a product of my twitchyness and fidgety hands, i slide into phrases and throw a lot of vibrato on notes as well as slide out of notes on the end of phrases. this has made the other guitar player say i am the evil guitar player. there is a "growling" signature i seem to add to the notes. never noticed it until we started recording. i need to be inspired to solo , either by groove, chord progression or riff. sometimes i would rather sit out of a solo if the music bores me. in other words it has to light my ass to make me move. would ya call that a "feel" player? :wave:

Most influential,...Stephen Stills, CSN...

Find The Cost Of Freedom, 4 & 20, Wooden Ships, Treetop Flyer...

That kind of stuff ....

Other major influences Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake and Palmer..

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I'd say my style is pretty unique. I've got so many rock influences its hard to pick one guitarist that influences me, but if I had to pick some main ones I'd say I've been influenced greatly by these people (In no particular order):

Janik Gers (Iron Maiden)

Eric Johnson

Jerry Horton (Papa Roach)

Joe Satriani

Yngwie Malmsteen

John Petrucci

Kirk Hammett

I also think a lot of my style comes from other music. I can defintely hear echoes of Bach and Beethoven in my playing as well as piano, trumpet, and Spanish guitar. I can't say that I have a lot of blues and jazz influence in me, although I do hear more of it as I listen to more Satriani, SRV, and Johnson. I try to immerse myself in as many styles as possible. I think thats what makes a good musician, and while I'll be the first to admit I'm no virtuoso and easily get hooked on licks and riffs I end up playing, I do know having such a broad background helps me create music that is both beautiful and melodic.

If had to describe only one genre I play in it would be progressive metal, but as I love all types of music, but mostly rock, I'd describe my playing as a hybrid of the energy of punk, the heaviness of metal, the complexity of classical, and the sound of me, whatever that is.

Shut up and play.

After 40 years of playing, I still come back to R & B as my favourite influence. I love jazz, have studied it, and try to play it - but for sheer feel, blues and rhythm & blues will always seems to come out. And I'm too old for metal anyway.

Archived