Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW LIVING COLOUR ALBUM-MUST READ

clarke

When the four members of Living Colour went separate ways in 1995, drummer Will Calhoun grabbed his passport and went globetrotting. Over the course of the five years that followed, Calhoun's journeys took him everywhere from Russia (as a member of jazz great Wayne Shorter's touring band) to Australia (where he studied tribal music while living with an Aborigine family in the Outback) to Morocco, where he went to explore the trancelike sounds of Gnawan music.

Though his destinations were diverse, the question was always the same: When is Living Colour getting back together? "It seemed like I was being asked almost everywhere I went," says Calhoun. "It was amazing to learn that the music we created had traveled so far around the world. I had everyone from [Montreux Jazz Festival founder] Claude Nobs to Mick Jagger pull me aside and tell me we needed to regroup. It really made me think about the art and energy of Living Colour and the impact that we made. As an artist, you have to respect that."

That Living Colour's legacy has broken through obstacles of language, distance and culture comes as little surprise. Formed by guitarist/Black Rock Coalition founder Vernon Reid in 1984, the quartet revised a Black music tradition that extends from Chuck Berry and Little Richard to Jimi Hendrix and Parliament-Funkadelic. Over the course of their career, they released three critically acclaimed albums (Vivid, Time's Up and Stain), which sold over 4 million copies combined, earned a pair of Grammy Awards, two MTV Music Video Awards and tore up stages around the world. They were perhaps the only band that could have opened for the Rolling Stones and played the first, groundbreaking Lollapalooza Tour.

Deciding that he didn't want to be "sitting around with regret at age 60," Calhoun phoned Reid in December of 2000 and invited him to sit in with Headfake, a drum & bass side project featuring former Living Colour bassist Doug Wimbish and on occasion, vocalist Corey Glover. The guitarist agreed, and a gig was booked at the band's old stomping ground of CBGB's under the winking banner of "Headfake and Surprise Musical Guest."

The faithful turned out by the hundreds and the band didn't disappoint. On the same small stage where they had been discovered more than a dozen years earlier, a revitalized Living Colour blazed through searing renditions of "Cult of Personality" (from 1998's Grammy-winning, multi-platinum album Vivid), "Love Rears Its Ugly Head," "Time's Up" and "Type." In a review of the show, MTV reported that "the foursome tore into [their set] with the fervor of newcomers."

"It was such an incredible feeling to look across the stage and see Corey standing next to Vernon and Will playing behind them," recalls Wimbish. "You could see that they were having a great time. After all those years, it was good to be able to share a moment like that once again."

In fact, it felt so good they decided to do it again and played a string of sold-out nationwide club dates, while also hitting South America and the European festival circuit.

"It felt a little weird at first," says Reid. "But we started becoming a band again. And based on the reaction we were getting at the shows, it was clear that our audience still cares. Hell, people were coming up to me after gigs and saying we've reaffirmed their faith in music. That's pretty powerful."

Inspired by fan reaction and eager to redefine its focus, the quartet began to write. Fully aware that their long absence required one helluva re-entry vehicle, they took time to craft the material carefully. "We spent a year and a half writing and recording four albums worth of material," laughs Calhoun. "It was a long, drawn-out process, but I think we needed to go through it to make the right record."

The much-anticipated result is CollideØscope (Mayan Records / Sanctuary), an electrifying testament to the range and depth of Living Colour's artistry. The band's first studio album in ten years sees them staying true to their roots, while keeping their grooves current and

hearts open. The songs are edgy, inventive and uncompromising and rank among the influential band's best ever.

"We felt the record really had to say something," says Glover. "Over the years, we've seen a lot of things go down that aren't being addressed and someone needs to talk about that. We had an obligation then and we have an obligation now to speak the truth, and we're never going to be afraid of that."

Looking at the world outside his window, Glover sees an America filled with disillusion, injustice and fear. It's a vista of ruin, its streets littered with broken and abandoned promises and he channels the collective hurt into songs of monolithic power. Like many of us, the seismic repercussions of the September 11th terrorist attacks have forced him to reevaluate his perceptions of good and evil ("Song Without Sin") while avoiding a life of fear ("A ? of When" and "Operation Mind Control"). As Glover tells it, the latter two are flip sides of the same paranoia."'A ? of When' refers to 'the high alerts,' he says. "We have been told us time and again, 'it may not happen today, tomorrow, or the day after that, but it'll happen soon and it'll be very severe.' We're being kept in this state of suspended fear. It's been said that you can run a lot of things by people in a state of confusion. That leads to 'Operation Mind Control,' which is about those that go along with it all. It's a gleeful sing-along of paranoia, saying, 'hey, this is fun-let's dance for the surveillance cameras'."

The album's emotional linchpin is the achingly beautiful "Flying," a heart-wrenching tale about a young couple whose tragic end comes sudden and without warning. In a single moment, their dreams are both realized and erased, and no one takes notice of their passing.

"It's a story about a guy who goes to work at the Trade Center on September 11 and decides that today is the day that he's finally going to ask out Carmen, a co-worker," says Glover. "Ironically, they do wind up together, but it's certainly not the way he imagined it. It's the idea of taking this huge, tragic event and boiling it down to its smallest essence, which is that it was about people. There were so many people there that day, going to work, punching time clocks. Who knows how many of them got to realize their dreams on that final day?" As the album spins on, Glover talks pointedly and poignantly about consumerism ("Choices Mash Up; A) Happy Shopper"), anxiety ("Holy Roller") and global environment ("Sacred Ground") against a stunning backdrop of hypnotic grooves, honeyed melodies and speaker-shattering guitars. Living Colour does a lot of things brilliantly-and they do most of them on CollideØscope, offering an adventurous earful of soulful, raucous rock ("Lost Halo"), reggae/dub ("Nightmare City") and electro-dynamics ("In Your Name"). Among the album's many highlights is the band's blistering version of the AC/DC classic "Back in Black."

"It's a song we've wanted to do for a long time, but it takes an interesting twist with us," laughs Glover. "There are references to having nine lives and lynching with lines like, 'they've got to catch me if they want me to hang.' That definitely takes on new meaning when I sing them."

"On one hand, the idea of Living Colour doing 'Back in Black' is a no-brainer," adds Reid. "But there's an unintended irony that comes into play because of the lyrics. I've heard the song millions of times over the years and the only thing I remember hearing clearly is the chorus.

But it turns out there are certain lines in the verses that give our rendition real resonance."

Produced by the band and mixed by Andy Stackpole, CollideØscope also features a devastating cover of the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows." "We originally planned to do it for a project that never materialized, but it fit perfectly on this record" says Reid. "This song and 'A ? of When' are flipsides of the same coin. On the former, you have fear and loathing, while the latter speaks about the endless coming and going of life and that everything happens for a reason. It's a classic song."

CollideØscope may have taken a year and a half to make, but it arrives just in time and was definitely worth the wait. In an era when there's a cookie-cutter sameness to so many of today's acts, the return of Living Colour recalls a time when bands were praised for their uniqueness and willingness to take music to the edge.

"As an artist, you want to make the right moves and step up the ladder," says Calhoun. "But what does that mean for your integrity and artistry? If going up the ladder means becoming more conservative and corporate, then you can have the ladder. We don't want it. We'll just keep doing our own thing."

NEW ALBUM DROPS SEPT 22nd

http://livingcolour.blogspot.com/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Living Colour, but man this is blatant spam.....

You posted the same "press release" boiler plate thread on 4 forums here on musicplayer.com, not surprisingly the only 4 posts you've made since registering, guess when? Yep, you got it- today.

This is not a forum for yor press releases. If you're gonna come here and talk up the band I don't think anyone is gonna mind. But you gotta at least talk to us, not ram this boiler plate kind of shit down our throats- and then move on to another of the 100 websites you're spamming today.

Pisses me off, because I really do like Living Colour and I really am interested. However, to think that LC needs you to come here and spam lowers my opinion somewhat.

HAHAHA HAHA HAHAHA HAAHAH What questions do you have for me. I'm no sighned act, and I have publicist... I don't have anyone in my corner at all, so if I come across as "BOLD"... It's only 'cuz I'm looking out FOR MY BEST INTRESTS.... naturally. Because I know people, and the're never driven by right, or wrong, it's always about ego, and greed... Now, the doctor is in for questioning...

MySpace

Originally posted by leadfootdriver:

HAHAHA HAHA HAHAHA HAAHAH What questions do you have for me. I'm no sighned act, and I have publicist... I don't have anyone in my corner at all, so if I come across as "BOLD"... It's only 'cuz I'm looking out FOR MY BEST INTRESTS.... naturally. Because I know people, and the're never driven by right, or wrong, it's always about ego, and greed... Now, the doctor is in for questioning...

Well Doctor Leadfoot,

I wasn't commenting on YOUR spam here. But, since you are so good at barging in I'll go ahead and respond here.

WTF is with the tripple post? I mean why do you need 2 new threads "Claim Station" and "ADA MP-1" both with a link to your sound clip? Forget about the "New Kid" post where you jump all over some pretty respected members here.

Can't you get it through your "ego and greed" mentality that what most of us object to is that you (as in people like you) come here and spam without a proper introduction. You're crashing a party (not a private party BTW, the door is open) and shouting "HEY EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME!!!" and then crying because everyone get's turned-off. How about a little introduction first?

Tell us who you are and what you're trying to do dammit. Tell us about how you've been practising your ass off and just put together a clip that you slaved over for weeks and are really proud of. Ask us to give a listen, and then be willing to discuss it with us. Instead of shouting and then pouting when everyone doesn't tell you how good you are.

Grow up.

Your arists.mp3s.com page is too cluttered IMHO and I'm not registered so I couldn't listen. The photo of the Hemi is pretty cool, though. I was able to listen to your clip on digitalsoundplanet. Honestly, I actually think your playing is very good. I'd be interested if you told us how you recorded and what you were trying to achieve.

But that chip on your shoulder-

Your quote: "You people want everything on your own terms, but it's exactly people like you that have been holding me back all my life. So if I've offended anyone, tough, because I have a life to live, and my days of mister nice guy are over. So, have anther listen! I love you all...."

-probably prevents you from any useful form of dialogue or introspection. Good luck- you're gonna need it.

You just need to understand that not all people come from a background, and are in situations where everything is polite, nice, and proper. I still have to claw for a living, and I still don't make one, and I'm almost 33. I'm no ungrateful rich kid, that can just sit around, and play guitar all day, and have my parents pull strings for my future. 'Not saying it's been done for you. I'm blue collar to the bone. Proud of it to, because I can do things for myself, because I always had to. I never had any help from anyone, with anything. I don't know what kind of world you live in, but mine ain't all honkey dory, where I'm planning for retirement, and working on my investment portfolio. This is my future, and I need to MAKE it happen, NOW. I suppose I would conduct myself differently if I was in a position of calm, and security to do so. I've never had the OPTION in life where "I'll meet you for lunch, and we'll catch up, and everything will be swell" that was ever applicable. That's not where I come from. If I'm blunt, it is because time is of the essence, and I don't have time to wait around for you people to get ready. You should be able to respect that. I think your just a bit pretentious. I'm not looking for moral, or social approval. I never wanna' be associated with people, where I'm accepted just because of some sort of status, or tax bracket. I hate phony assholes. On the other hand, I'm sure, well off, well to do people would only feel comfortable around people of their own background, which is just fine. We are what we are, and it takes all kinds to make a world. Sorry if I don't fit into yours. I just don't have penchant for phony, kiss ass, smoke blowing, where I tip toe, and jump through hoops, to take baby steps towards what I want. I thinks it's clear what I want, and this is what I have to offer. So have a listen.

So now I'll appologise, because I've only had a computer for about a year, and a half, and I only stumbled upon your sacred forum by accident. Sorry. I missed the page that said "must maintain proper forum conduct to be a member". Frankly, I'm new to this forum shit, and it made sence to take a LEAP, and offer my music up for the world to hear. Your initial stonewall treatment flatters me. I'm not crying because no one will tell me how good I am, you ass. I know it's good, because I did the work, flat out... If you wanted to know about my background, or what I had to go through in life to get to this level, all you had to do was ask. I'm all about people that are real, and up front. So I'll say it again, no more mister nice guy, because I only have time for people that will work with me, and not against me. Being a nice, honest person only got me used, and taken advantage of my whole life. So if you don't have the depth, and life wisdom to see where I'm coming from, I don't need you in my life.

As for the mp3 site, I agree that it is cluttered, but aesthetics aside, it's the best site in the world, because it IS free, and I'm broke as hell.

And the "I have a publicist" was a typo. I meant to put "no publicist" in there. I'd at least figure that you would get a clue, and figure that out, when the following sentence read "I don't have anyone in my corner at all"... egg head. Hmm, I think I might be outwitted here. You people sure are smart.

MySpace

Originally posted by leadfootdriver:

I still have to claw for a living, and I still don't make one, and I'm almost 33.

You are not the only one who has to bust ass to try to make the rent. But the way you are trying to go about it here is only working against you. If you want to make a living as a musician, you aren't helping yourself by pissing off a lot of people who could help you. And you certainly aren't helping yourself by guaranteeing people won't even listen to your music because you've acted like such a miscreant.

This is my future, and I need to MAKE it happen, NOW.
No one is saying you shouldn't. Folks here are pretty good about supporting those who are trying to make a go of this. It's extremely hard to make a living as an artist. LOTS of people here know that first-hand. If you want support, this is a good place to find it.

I'm not looking for moral, or social approval. I never wanna' be associated with people, where I'm accepted just because of some sort of status, or tax bracket.
There is nothing here based on that. Have you actually read anything here? People are accepted for who they are and what they are, not status, not money, or even technical ability. We come together here out of a love for music, and the desire to share that with others who feel the same way.

I thinks it's clear what I want, and this is what I have to offer.
What's clear is that you want it all, you want it now, and for some reason you feel that you deserve it. What's clear is that what you have to offer is a pretty bad attitude.

So I'll say it again, no more mister nice guy, because I only have time for people that will work with me, and not against me.
You're gonna live in a pretty lonely world. Especially since you seem to have a talent for turning people against you.

I think we are all willing to give you a chance to see what we are, and how you could fit in if you want. If you don't want to take that chance, then please feel free to move on to somewhere else that suits you better.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

OK Leadfoot, time may be of the essence, but if you treat people like this in person, you're probably taking two steps back when you need to take a step forward.

Someone correct me if I've got my guitar history wrong, but Les Paul (the player) built one of the first solid body guitars called "The Log", mainly because it looked like one made out of three pieces. He peddled it to some different places and got crappy reception. He believed in his product and kept plugging away. Being the class act he is, I'd bet my next crappy paycheck (no money fairy visits my house) he didn't say, "F-U, I want fame NOW!" with every rejection.

There are thousands of guitar players in the world who play music they don't care for, in order to pay the bills and support their TRUE musical interests and record.

Day job $ + guitar gig $ = $ for true interests. It's all math.

P.S., if you wanted to play my bar, I'd throw you out with yesterday's garbage if you brought an attitude like that.

P.P.S. I don't own a bar... :P

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Okay fellas, I don't mean give me fame now, it's just that things are desperate, and I need to make big leaps. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, and I'm sure you all have earned expertise in your fields, in which I can learn from. I'm just going at it the only way I know how, because I don't have any professional management, or guidance in the buisness aspect. I spend a lot of time alone, and will come out swinging if I'm challenged in any way. Only because I have to be that way. I just need to keep a guard up.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I started through the provocation of EVH! Eddie V. I was about to turn 12, and I listened to Van Hallens' Little Guitars (part 2). IT just rocked, and I wanted to play thereafter. I got an acustic guitar, and barely played that during a 2 year lesson period. I probably got my first electric at 14? I think. Being a child from the 80's, I liked most all guitar rock of the time. Mostly hair band type stuff. Soon I found my second idol R.R. I liked Ozzy a lot, and dug Randys playing a lot. I always like Ozzys' voice. The speak of the devil album was good. At about 15 I heard Mettalica, and hated it. A year later I loved it, and it was all about Metallica, and Metal. Being from the backgroud I come frm, I stated doing drugs, and drinking. After highscool, I went to community college to study music. So I started to play Classical, and loved it. I played in bands at this time, thefirst one being a metal band where we played covers. But it fell apart though when it came time to writs our own stuff. I had some kickass metal stuff at the age of 17, but the people I jammed with didn't have any vision of their own to forge their own sound, so that band broke up. At 19 I got into a blues rock type band, where we would play rock covers, a little original stuff, but we put a big emphasis on jamming, and doing extended improvisations. This was cool. But I seen the future of this band to be a destructive one, because of the hard partying tendecies of certain members. I left this group, and got into classical. After 4 years of community college, and no degree, I transferd to a university, for music performance. I got a scollarship, but left in the 2nd year because having no money didn't cut it anymore. At around 23 I started to play electric more, and it was at this time, where I found myself in music, and what I wanted to do. I built a studio over the years. I got a 4-track, and a drum machime, and began writing original instrumentals. 4 tracks are useless really, and I wore that thing out. I got an 8 track, and then a 16 track. Then various pieces of recording gear like mixers, and compressors. This was arond the time when computer rigs were coming into vogue, but I decided to not go that way, because I wanted a more hands on approach, and not have to stuff myself into a chair, with a mouse. Although, automated mixing is invaluable. My Decks have SCSI ports though, and this is still an option. All this gear aint cheap, and I worked a lot a dirt pay jobs to get it. The lattest one being a cab driver. I've seen a lot, and got out of that , because working 12+hour night shifts, where you only come in contact with drunks, crack heads, and other darkside individuals, has a oppressive effect on the soul. Not to mention not having anytime to do anything in what free time you have left in 60 hour work week. I didn't even play the guitar the whole 7 months I did this. Now, with this brief shed of my life, I respectfully invite you to review my lifes work. I did it on my own, without any guidance. With the exception of some classical background, but that scene is the stiffest of all. I didn't want to play someone elses music. And mostly the composers are in with universities, where they are paid to be immeresed in a situation where they have all the nuturing at hand, and knew someone to get there. They should be so lucky. I was never accepted in that crowd because I come from rock. These people are terified of anything that isn't accepted in societies grand hypocracy, and are to ungratefull to realize the importance of being born into somethng. They never had to really WORK for a living. I'd like to pick them up from their psuedo hip, $7 a cup coffee houses, and take them for a ride in my cab, and let the real world eat them alive. No hard feelings.

There's plenty I didn't include in here, but all implications have been suggested. So, with this bit of background, and introduction, I would be happy to hear any criticisms of my music that anyone has, and am open for discussion.

MySpace

Now you're talkin' LeadFoot. :thu:

You probably would be surprised at just how tough a life a lot of guys here have had- Myles has been shot 2 or 3 times! Most of us have not had an easy life either. I've got no sob stories I wanna tell myself- I prefer to dwell on the present and future and not have to relieve the darker moments of my life- but let's just say I don't remember any golden spoons or free rides. Also, I don't want to belittle your suffering by saying others have it worse than you. I just wanted to set the record straight that we're not a bunch of college professors.

Maybe all those tough experiences of yours can add a "trueness" to your music that someone who's never suffered will never be able to authentically convey, especially if you're playing blues or aggressive rock.

Why don't you start a new thread with just a little introduction of yourself? Just a few words so anyone who hasn't read your comments before will know a little about you. Put the links to your music there and let's all start over. I'd be very interested to discuss with you your gear and recording methods. And, of course, your music.

Leadfoot wrote:

Now, with this brief shed of my life, I respectfully invite you to review my lifes work. I did it on my own, without any guidance.

"...without any guidance". It appears as though you may have come to the right place. A lot of good people here with a TON of knowledge! Although I haven't ventured outside THIS particular forum, I think I remember Music Player having a forum on all kinds of stuff like gigs, songwriting, lyrics, etc...

Until my wife fixes the sound card on our computer, I won't be able to review your work. I will be doing it eventually. Looking forward to your input on stuff.

At the age of 30 (or so), my buddy, Sean "Grasshopper" Mackowiak, told his Dad that he was going to quit trying to make it in music. He tried a little more and Mercury Rev was born. Now he's livin' the dream.

Funny though, he looks at me with a wife and two kids and I think he's kind of envious.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

LeadFoot -

Thanks for taking the time to really respond. Like James, I look forward to your input too, and I hope your time here will benefit you as well.

I haven't checked out your music yet (I post at work & I can't really play music here very often), but I will check it out when I get home.

Welcome aboard.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Oh- and talk about thread-hijacking! Wasn't this Clarke's thread spamming Living Color?

I saw them early on there first big tour, and they were a great hard rock-metal act, and man, their singer could really deliver the goods live, unlike many "singers"! It was all good.

I still don't like spam, though.

Wipe the spam off your chin, Clarkey-boye. The camera's off now.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived