Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Toronado vs. Gibson LP

ridger

My local music stores don't carry the Fender Toronado so I can't compare to the Gibson LP, so I thought I would ask the question here. Does the Toronado humbuckers have a similar sound as the LP humbuckers? Just wondering what the Toronado sounds like compared to the LP. I don't see many of the Toronados being played for whatever reason. However, it sure is quite a bit less expensive than the LP. Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, other than the dual humbuckers, they're different animals altogether.

Though they share a scale-length of 24&3/4", the other differences in construction, materials, and overall design philosophy make for an apple and orange comparison.

The Toronado uses a bolt-on neck joint, the Les Paul a glued-in, set-neck.

The T' has a maple neck, and I'd guess that the body is alder, maybe ash, or a similar lighter hardwood. The LP has a mahogany neck and body, with a carved maple top.

These major differences mean that the Toronado sounds a bit brighter and twangier, and the Les Paul sounds darker, fuller, fatter and rounder. The Toronado will have a more prominent attack, the Les Paul more sustain and a liquidy envelope that follows the initial attack that some refer to as "bloom".

Doesn't anybody carry Fender in your area? If so, especially if they also have a Les Paul that you'd seriously consider buying, just get them to order a Toronado, compare the two and buy the one that you like the best!

Anyways, keep us posted, and good luck!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi,

Fender humbuckers equipped guitars usually suck (flame shelter on ...), if you want humbuckers buy a used LP, if you want a Fender buy a strat or a tele ...

Just my two cents ...

Bests.

Stan.

Love + Learning + Music = LIFE !!! (some money welcomed as well ...)

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

[QB]I believe that the Fender Toronado has a 25-&-1/2" scale length- someone correct me if I'm wrong- while the Gibson Les Paul has one of 24-&-3/4".

QB]

Ok, I'm correcting you. ;) The Toronado has a 24.75" scale, like the Gibson LP. But, the other differences are more than enough to make the two guitars sound totaly different.

I've got a guitar (Epiphone Del Rey) that's built like a Fender (25.5" scale bolt neck) and has LP materials (mahogany neck, mahogany body w/ maple top) and it sounds a good bit different than a strat.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Thanks, Blue! I did think that I was right, but I wasn't absolutely certain. So, thanks! I'll edit my post; I hate the idea of putting out misinformation, as opposed to a debateable oppinion.

Hi,

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite

I hate the idea of putting out misinformation, as opposed to a debateable oppinion.

I suppose it refered to my post ... thanks to put it in such a kind way, I should have written

"In my opinion Fender ... "

I am usually more positive and try to help in a better way, my sincere apologies if I hurted s.o feelings ...

Bests.

Stan.

Love + Learning + Music = LIFE !!! (some money welcomed as well ...)

The Toronado actually is a half-way Gibson.

Has twang, shorter sustain, but can sound very warm as well.

below is my review

http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/toronado/index.html

and here are more pics and a sound clip.

http://www.eazi-k.com/guitar/toronado/index.html

I have an LP Studio as well and the Toronado can blow it away for certain types of music.

Ernie

If in doubt leave it Out !

Originally posted by Stan_Frenchie:

Hi,

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite

I hate the idea of putting out misinformation, as opposed to a debateable oppinion.

I suppose it refered to my post ... thanks to put it in such a kind way, I should have written

"In my opinion Fender ... "

I am usually more positive and try to help in a better way, my sincere apologies if I hurted s.o feelings ...

Bests.

Stan.

No,no! Stan- Bluestrat corrected a mistake that I made, and I thanked him for it, and edited my original post; this isn't pointed at you at all, man! Sorry if I made you think that, I wouldn't be that rude!

Originally posted by 69tele:

The Toronado actually is a half-way Gibson.

Has twang, shorter sustain, but can sound very warm as well.

I've always been intrigued by the other Fender guitars, like the Toronado and the Jazzmaster. I like the bodies, but I can never get along with the trems and the electronics (too many weird switches) used in these guitars. Maybe when I get older... though I love my dad's 40th Anniversary Strat. The trem stays well in tune (I don't whack it like my Ibanez), and the sustain and bell tones are nice. He loads it with .010-.052 strings (Ernie Ball light top - heavy bottom).

Personaly, I like the Cyclone and Mustang better than all of the odd-ball Fenders. The body on the Mustang and Cyclone are just way more comfortable to me. They also are smaller and lighter. Mustangs and Cyclones are just a hell of a lot spunkier!!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

So many choices. :D

So much GAS. :rolleyes:

So little money. :cry:

But, it is fun to dream. :cool:

Amen, brother!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil