Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The baddest ass acoustic guitar player of all time...

LiveMusic

...is the guy that plays in Ricky Skaggs' bluegrass band. I introduced myself and can't remember his name. But how the hell does a human being move his hand/arm that g.d. fast. Sombitch.

Who's the best acoustic picker? Doesn't have to be lightning fast. FantasticSound, who is it in Nashville.

BTW, I watched a video about Lindsey Buckingham. Now, he is very interesting, to say the least. Not bad. Damn sure, unique.

Okay, shoot me. I actually LOVE EC's acoustic album. I LOVE IT. Don't like it. I LOVE IT.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My short list of acoustic favorites would be:

1) Jim Croce (Time in a Bottle, etc.)

2) Marcy Playground

3) Jimmy Page w/ Led Zepplin

4) Lightnin' Hopkins

5) Nirvana Unplugged

6) Jerry Reed

7) Willie Nelson

8) Johnny Cash

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Here's some other ideas for a thread... How about Who Has the Longest guitar strap? Or Most worn out G string? Or The Guy Who Pulls Better Faces Than BB KIng?? Or how about The Guy With the Ugliest Groupies? Or The Guy Who Has Been Nominated More Times Than Anyone Else in a "Who is the Best...."Thread

AHHHH what the heck! It is my considered opinion that Johnny Winter has a particularly Bad Ass. A very, VERY Bad Ass indeed. :freak:

For different styles I'd pick different folks. For different categories (like "best finger picking", "most melodic", etc.) I'd pick differnt folks.

But..

For the "baddest ass" ("bad-assiest"?), I'd say noone kicks more butt on the acoustic than Pete Townshend.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

There is a Moody Blues song, can't recall the name, but whatever it is, this guy is playing a super fast strum and man, I don't see how he does it. For any length of time, especially. Amazing.

The young guy for Ricky Skaggs, though, he has the fastest hands I've ever seen. He's in his early 20's.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Yup,

I actually got to see them together both on the "original" tour... "front row"!

and on the "re-union" tour many years later.

The first tour in particular was phenominal. It was amazing to see them each do a solo performance, then all the duets, then all three together...

They really "played" off each other, and the level of musicianship was amazing.

I hadn't seen or heard of Paco de Lucia before that, and came away VERY impressed with his ability and musicality.

VIRTUOSO's to be sure!!!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Django and Freddy Green should each be mentioned here, in respectful tones...

Funny how their names aren't often associated with "acoustic" guitar, even though that was the instrument of choice for both of'em.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Merle was Doc Watson's son, wasn't he? I heard a very little bit of his playing quite a while back, and it was enough to convince me that he most definitely knew how to play a guitar. Meaning that, I would have had to figure out what he was doing, to play it.

Another guy who's name should be brought up here is Lenny Breau. And how about Michael Hedges? And, Andres Segovia kinda rates, doesn't he?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by kazoo u:

There's lots of great ones but I think that the late Michael Hedges should be included in any list for his inovation and contribution to guitar.

Hedges is my pick as well...

I love Johnny Cash, but a great guitarist he ain't.

I also love Jim Croce, but he had another guy, Maury Muehleisen, that played lead.

Originally posted by kazoo u:

There's lots of great ones but I think that the late Michael Hedges should be included in any list for his inovation and contribution to guitar.

Hedges is my pick as well...

I love Johnny Cash, but a great guitarist he ain't.

I also love Jim Croce, but he had another guy, Maury Muehleisen, that played lead.

Big fan of many listed here.

In particular,

• James Taylor
  • Michael Hedges
  • Jim Croce and Maury Muehleisen
  • Lenny Breau (Great catch, K)
  • Chet Atkins
  • Tony Rice
  • Doc Watson
  • Mark O'Connor (yes, Mark was a flatpickin' champion years ago. He won with a wonderful version of Blackberry Blossom
  • Pete Townshend
  • Laurence Juber
  • Steve Stevens
  • Kenny Loggins
  • Dean Parks (LA session player)
  • John Fahey
  • Leo Kotke
  • Eric Johnson
  • Jimmy Page
  • Harry Chapin
  • John Denver
  • Thom Bresh (Merle Travis' son)

...and many more! :freak:

But the most incredible acoustic player I've ever heard has got to be Doyle Dykes. If you haven't heard him play... well, you won't understand. ;)

Get a copy of the first volume of the Taylor Guitars/Windham Hill compilations, Sounds Of Wood & Steel. Just about every cut is amazing, including songs from at least 5 of the above named players.

As for Nashville session players, Mark Casstevens, Biff Watson, Bernie Leadon, Josh Leo, Billy Joe Walker Jr., Chris Leuzinger, Randy Scruggs, Paul Worley, and Brent Rowan, among others. Every one of these guys is a monster player.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Originally posted by bluestrat:

8) Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash? Does he know more than three chords? Johnny Cash?
Does it matter if he doesn't know more than three chords? How many chords do you have to know to be able to kick ass? I'd also nominate Jack White.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I love all the cats mentioned but IMO the baddest assed acoustic player of ALL TIME is Django Reinhardt. Not only did he play blindingly fast; he played breathtakingly inventive lines with an unerring melodic sense and developed the idiom for all jazz guitarists that followed him, and did it with only two fingers on his left hand. Never mind that he damaged that left hand permanently while rescuing his wife and infant son from a terrible fire...

BTW, Django did play an electric later in his career but, again, to my ears his thing was more suited to acoustic.

Tim Sparks is da man! Fingerstyle, baby. Check out http://www.timsparks.com/ and his Guitar Bazaar CD/tabs.

As seen in FingerStyle Guitar No. 15

or you can just search the Internet for other stuff.

He's got a reach for someone who looks like he has small hands. You can get sample tabs and MP3s on his site. I'm listening to him playing Mahsav [new one] right now...

One of his best is called Bach-n-Aliya and you can get the MP3 on http://www.timsparks.com/sounds.html Seriously, it's worth the download.

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Merle was Doc Watson's son, wasn't he? I heard a very little bit of his playing quite a while back, and it was enough to convince me that he most definitely knew how to play a guitar. Meaning that, I would have had to figure out what he was doing, to play it.

You got it K, Merle was Doc's son. He got killed when run over by his own tractor som years ago.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by groove guru:

Michael Hedges was great. His sound was amazing when I saw him live. Does anyone know what his setup was?

Which one? For many years he toured with his favorite Martin dreadnaught and a early 1900's, Dyer harp guitar. The Martin, according to one early 1990's article, became unstable from Michael's playing style and had to be relegated to studio work only. Somewhere along the way Steve Klein built Michael a custom electric harp guitar.

A quick search of google yielded

this web page. I can't vouch for it's authenticity, but the information seems accurate. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Someone was mentioning the Al D, John McLaughlin, Paco trio recordings...you saw that shit live? I am eternally jealous!!

Anyways, as far as acoustic playing, any of those three guys are worthy candidates, but come on, Paco has to take the cake, he's just inhumanly good!!! I've heard that guy play stuff I didn't know could be done on guitar, just for that he deserves it!

Django deserves a huge mention too, he was doing this crazy stuff before any of us, (or anyone we've mentioned) was even born!!

Have you ever heard SRV's acoustic stuff (only heard it on Austin City Limits), that's just ridiculous too!

Archived