Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most skilled guitar player alive: Carlos, Jeff, Eric, Kirk Etc...

TelebenderX

IF YOUR INTO ALL STYLES OF MUSIC ITS TOUGH TO PICK! I'D HAVE TO GO WITH EJ DUE TO THAT! I'VE SEEN HIM LIVE DOZENS OF TIMES IN AUSTIN. I'VE SEEN A LOT OF THE GREATS BUT EJ IS THE BEST AS FAR AS SOUL, VERSATILITY AND CHOPS! 2ND WOULD BE L.CARLTON LIVE! THEY BOTH SCARED THE HELL OUTTA ME! :freak:
ERIC JOHNCLAP

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see. Shawn Lane was one of them until he died 2 days ago, R.I.P. Most skilled living player...hmmm. Jeff Beck is the best one mentioned by far. I don't think Kirk should be on the list, in my opinion.

Here's my picks for most skilled LIVING player:

Holdsworth-Fusion, Kurt Rosenwinkel-Jazz, Johnny Hiland-Country, Bumblefoot, a.k.a. Ron Thall-Rock/Metal, Philip Degruy-most creative, Paco De Lucia-Flamenco, Manuel Burrocco-Classical. Scott Henderson-Rock/Fusion

My picks for best all time-Danny Gatton, Lenny Breau.

Best,

Mark

"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny"...Zappa

With so many styles to choose from, it's kind of a tough question. I will say that being originally from Winnipeg, I have sat many times in a small tea house called the Ting and watched Lenny Breau play where I could reach out and touch him, and to this day I am still amazed at what a awesome player Lenny was. It's kind of hard to compare that style to Metallica etc. As for guys ( Alive ) who continue to amaze me it's got to be Jeff Beck.

Originally posted by TelebenderX:

who do you think is the most skilled in their chops: Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Kirk Hammet,(Fill in your nominee's here)...

im not sure. as far as raw chops, probably kirk...

Ever heard about Steve Vai?

It's nice you mentioned Jeff Beck though.

I am back.

TO ME THIS ONE IS A NO BRAINER. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS READ WHAT OTHER BIG NAME GUITARISTS LIKE VAI, SATRIANI, LANE, GAMBALE ETC HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE TOPIC. MR ALLAN HOLDSWORTH BY A LANDSLIDE. PUT IT THIS WAY, YOU KNOW ALLAN COULD DO ANYTHING HE HEARD FROM THOSE GUYS, BUT NONE OF THEM VERY MUCH OF WHAT ALLAN DOES.
Your friendly neighborhood shredder.

As far as skills go, Steve Vai would get my vote. The things he does on the guitar are literally from another planet. My favorite guitarist is Mr. Joe Satriani. No one I've heard can toggle on your emotions like Satch can. He's truly a master of taste. Van Halen gets my vote for being 20 years ahead of his time. His innovations at the time are still mind boggling. And Malmsteen gets my vote for being Malmsteen. Also on my list of greats technicians are: Nuno, Kotzen, Petrucci, and last but not least ME! :thu:
What am I doing tonight? Samething I do every night: TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

Originally posted by geeclef28:

As far as skills go, Steve Vai would get my vote. The things he does on the guitar are literally from another planet.

Wow! do you mean LITERALLY from another planet??! Do you mean that he's actually from another planet or that some how he has an amp that plays somehow, somewhere on another planet?

:D

All the best,

Henry Robinett

:wave: Jan Akerman of focus was a great shredder

one of the first.This mutherfucker had some skill's.Was guitar player of the year in playboy almost evry year in the 70's

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by ALL@GUITARGUY:

TO ME THIS ONE IS A NO BRAINER. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS READ WHAT OTHER BIG NAME GUITARISTS LIKE VAI, SATRIANI, LANE, GAMBALE ETC HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE TOPIC. MR ALLAN HOLDSWORTH BY A LANDSLIDE. PUT IT THIS WAY, YOU KNOW ALLAN COULD DO ANYTHING HE HEARD FROM THOSE GUYS, BUT NONE OF THEM VERY MUCH OF WHAT ALLAN DOES.

Sounds like you talked with these guys.If you have heard every guit player,then you can say allen's the best.But i know you haven't so shut the fuck up!It's like one year this guy was the fastest talker.The first five seconds were cool

then it became like allen boring :bor:Sounds like you have a talent for talking out your ass.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

vai's got mad skills, but i can't relate to most of his songwriting. nothwistanding rare gems like 'for the love of god' to me, much of his best work is on other's projects. vai is brilliant on david lee roth's skyscraper.

john petrucci also has deep skills. to me, kirk hammett's shortcomings are masked by james hetfield's excellent songwriting and rhythmn playing. hammett's not that great. he's very good, but not great.

the late michael hedges was a master on the acoustic. listening to his stuff just makes you want to practice. armik is a fantastic flamenco player. i'll stop right here.

I saw "Remember Shakti" on Saturday Night 10/4 in DC -- after 25 years -- "Mahavishnu" John McLaughlin has better chops than all top contemporary players in one -- and I'm a big fan of Vai, Satriani, et al -- and happened to see Zepplin 8 times in the 70s & Jeff Beck 4-5 times then as well. JM's pure spirit and amazing technique -- just gets better and better as time goes by...

to me, kirk hammett's shortcomings are masked by james hetfield's excellent songwriting and rhythmn playing. hammett's not that great. he's very good, but not great.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one.
What am I doing tonight? Samething I do every night: TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

My 2 cents:

Best phrasing and owning his very own tone and style:...EVH

Sheer fingerboard supernatural, sold-his-soul-to the-devil, shred gymnastic ability....Yngwie Malmsteen

Then there's Steve Vai who can play like a madman, but injects so much of his theory knowledge into his playing that it comes off without a groove. Sounds like speed fusion with an occasional oddly shaped pentatonic doodad thrown in there every once in a while.

There's a huge pile of "legendary" players like Clapton, BB King...etc and a lot of people say, "he's the greatest" etc, but none of those guys can play anything fast. If anyone thinks BB king could play Eruption at even half speed, they're mistaken. I would venture to say that many of the since forgotten shredders could play all those "legendary" players' licks, but not the other way around. Does some shred solo have half the soul of a SRV solo...no, but it still has a lot of emotion...it's just a different emotion. You can't compare a Rolls Royce to a Lamborghini....they're both cool.

If we are truly focusing on skills, then I'm going with many of you on Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck and the like.

Let me throw in one more to the mix: Robert Fripp. I saw him many times with King Crimson and was never less than amazed by him.

Once at a lecture/performance he gave at Princeton University, he admitted to being tone deaf but, through great practice, discipline, and love of the instrument attained a technical mastery. And somewhere in there the mastery unlocked the musical soul that had been kept silent by being tone deaf. His playing all the way back to Crimson's first album was astonishing by anyone's standards, and his playing on "Starless and Bible Black," Bowie's "Scary Monsters," "Asbury Park," and many more bristle with feeling coupled with mind-boggling technique.

Yes, he, like Carlos Santana, should just "shut and play" his guitar, but I'm so grateful when he does.

And no, I'm not a stuck in the seventies progressive rock junkie; I'm a stuck in the sixties Hendrix devotee!

Archived