Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Native Instruments...10+

After downloading and trying demos of some of the VST insturments on the market one thing became crystal clear, Native Instruments are head and shoulders above the rest. I enthusiasticaly voted for this company with my wallet. BTW, does Steinberg own this company? The Pro-52 is simply fantastic. Fat, analogish, great design. NI Battery has (after two days of sampling all of their sounds) retired both of my drum machines. Steinberg's LM-4 is not even close to this product. I'm not even gonna comment on Traktor & Reaktor... When starting new production sessions I usually have 6 or 7 tracks with Halion (great job Steinberg!), 6 tracks with Battery and a couple of Pro-52 tracks before I even switch my "real" midi gear on, if at all. Lawrence

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After trying all kinds of stuff I keep coming bach to the Pro 52 as far as quality.I haven't heard Absynth yet though,and the PPg is great it it's own right(Warldorf).Don't count out some of the up and coming stuff by some talented newcomers though,Iv'e been pleasantly surprised more than once.Qudrasid,Dr008 and stuff from Linplug just to name a few.Go to [url=http://www.kvr-vst.com]www.kvr-vst.com[/url] to find out all you want on this subject and plenty of free patches and links to VSTi as well.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Have you heard the MDA ePiano? It's free....and great. Freaky. Actually on par with the NI stuff, sonically. I don't get why it's free, and I pay lots and lots of dough for gear and software, so "free" is not the motivator here. It's just a great sounding plugin. Don't these people understand capitalism? Regards, Brian T

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln@hotmail.com: [b]After trying all kinds of stuff I keep coming bach to the Pro 52 as far as quality.I haven't heard Absynth yet though[/b][/quote] Pro 52 is good but Absynth is the most amazing software synth I've used so far. If you don't have a Mac, it's worth it to buy one just to run this program! I wish I could be as enthusiastic about Reaktor 3 for Mac. Version 2.3x was really good even if it was somewhat processor intensive (even on my G4 500MP), but version 3 has so many bugs, it is essentially unusable. NI will be posting an update on their site soon to address these problems. A new Mac-only softsynth called [url=http://www.cellsynth.co.uk/]CellSynth[/url] , while not from NI, looks and sounds really interesting. It could have the potential to evolve into something more user friendly and as powerful as Reaktor. The developer is working on an OS 10.1 port that will take advantage of the core audio/MIDI part of the OS.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]I've been working with the FM7, and while my Non-Disclosure Agreement prevents me from giving any specifics, I can say it will be out soon and it is awesomely cool!![/b][/quote] Can you make any comparisons between the FM7 and the FS1R? I love my FS1R and think that there really is a lot you can do with FM synthesis. On the NI tip, The B4 is just the balls. I recently had a session recording a real B3/122 and I found myself fussing with different mic setups and being unhapy with the sound. Believe it or not, I was wishing I had my Mac/B4 in the studio, because it sounds good every time. The bang for the buck is just excellent. Andrew

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b]..., you can get a glimpse [url=http://www.native-instruments.net/index.php?fm7_us]here[/url] . FM7 is due to be released next month...[/b][/quote] Damn, that looks real impressive. If the sound quality is there as it is in the other NI products this will be an instant winner. I can see now I'm gonna have to upgrade my P2 400 if I wanna use multiple softsynths. Dell here I come... Lawrence

I also have an fs1r, and cannot wait till this fm7 is released. Absynth is pretty hot too. But Im taking a wait and see here with fm7, as I wouldnt mind loosing the fs1r's yama-ha ha ha you must be kidding me interface, but I do think the synth engine kicks arse! :-) woo hoo go NI! Now I do have a question, is this a 6 operator fm synth?

Gotta give it up for the B4 - It's just fun as could be, and the expansion tonewheel set is rather entertaining, if not that useful. Easily the best "warm happy feeling" I've had abut a software purchase for a while.
Woof!

[quote]Originally posted by LawrenceF: [b]BTW, does Steinberg own this company? I'm not even gonna comment on Traktor & Reaktor... [/b][/quote] Nope... Initially Steinberg distributed their products in America, that's it. IMHO: Reaktor is the best sounding softsynth. I can not say "analog" since it does a gazillion things besides emulating analog synths. B4 is the best thing near to a real B3 and that's not my opinion, it's some real B3 pro's saying so.... PRO 52 is very cool... but I do still preffer REAKTOR. NI rule !! ------------------ [b]Gus Lozada[/b] Moderador de: [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/nuestroforo]MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo[/url] [i] "La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"[/i] Gus [url=http://trax.iuma.com]TraX[/url] @musicplayer.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Reaktor is simply phenomenal. The USB dongle is a realistic compromise IMO, the new CPU optimization works as advertised. I can't say I'm stoked by Reaktor because that's coal-burning imagery- I'm fissioned by Reaktor. Off to the wonderful world of real-time physical modelling, where bitchen sounds come easy but tuning them does not...see you some distant day. Oh yeah, Native Instruments- 11! -CB

[quote]Originally posted by mr. rob: [b]as I wouldnt mind loosing the fs1r's yama-ha ha ha you must be kidding me interface, but I do think the synth engine kicks arse! :-) [/b][/quote] Have you downloaded the free software editor? It makes a world of difference. Trying to edit/create patches from the front of the FS1R is impossible.

I've tested Absynth, and it's totally dope... I've even tried the Spektral Delay demo and I found the principle behind it to be really clever and different from a delay *effect*... As far as REaktor is concerned I've always felt it's a cpu hog so I never ventured any further. But these Native guys seem to have their game pretty well covered. Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

<> Technically speaking, it has 6 operators. But you can program them into a zillion connections not possible in the original FM instruments. There's also a "saturation" operator and a dual filter operator that's worth the plug-in alone...and they can even be inserted in operator feedback loops, so you could have the last carrier in a chain modulating the first modulator through a dynamically-variable filter...and that's just scratching the surface. You can go really deep with the FM7.

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln@hotmail.com: [b]After trying all kinds of stuff I keep coming bach to the Pro 52 as far as quality.I haven't heard Absynth yet though,and the PPg is great it it's own right(Warldorf).Don't count out some of the up and coming stuff by some talented newcomers though,Iv'e been pleasantly surprised more than once.Qudrasid,Dr008 and stuff from Linplug just to name a few.Go to [url=http://www.kvr-vst.com]www.kvr-vst.com[/url] to find out all you want on this subject and plenty of free patches and links to VSTi as well.[/b][/quote] Hey, thanks for the awesome tip with that link! It made my day, just what I was looking for! You rock, thanks!

[quote]Originally posted by Craig Anderton: [b]Technically speaking, it has 6 operators. But you can program them into a zillion connections not possible in the original FM instruments. There's also a "saturation" operator and a dual filter operator that's worth the plug-in alone...and they can even be inserted in operator feedback loops, so you could have the last carrier in a chain modulating the first modulator through a dynamically-variable filter...and that's just scratching the surface. You can go really deep with the FM7.[/b][/quote] Sounds very similar to the Yamaha SY99, which also featured freely-configurable operator routing with feedback loops that could make use of a dual dynamic filter...and any waveform for the carrier or operator! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] NI still frosts my ass with their support for PC users with USB or parallel dongle for the Reaktor, but only USB for the Mac...no ADB. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif[/img]
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

I got Absynth this weekend, it sounds fantastic. Better than my Kurzweil K2000. This is on my lil' year-old 350MHz iMac, which is going for... $600 now from a dealer. Just 'cuz a lot of the guys on here have a predilection for talking about the high-end dual processor wonder boxes, doesn't mean you need a 4k machine to do good work. G. Ratte' And I second the mda stuff. They've got 4 VSTi's, all of 'em are useful, go grab 'em.

Archived