Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HOW MANY SPRINGS ?

Wes from Wpg

I've just changed string guages on my standard strat from the 9's that it came with to 11's, which I prefer.

As expected, the spring tension is now too much and is pulling the trem up. I temporarily locked the trem down with wire ties on the two springs, but would like to get the extra springs so that it works as intended.

Anyone out there have 11-48's on a strat? If so, how many springs do you have, and what configuration?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use 10's, and I have 3 springs on mine. Of course, I rarely use my trem, I just keep the bridge flat to the body - so I like a good bit of spring tension.

I'd suggest trying 3 springs, and if the tension is't sufficient tighten the screws a little more (be careful not to over-tighten them and strip the wood though).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Yeah, .011's are what I favor, too, and you can go with three or four springs in there. (Some folks use all five, but that's uncommon.) The thing is that you must do a little trial-and-error of tuning to the pitch you are going to play in, adjust the spring tension at the "claw" in the cavity in the back, re-tune now that the strings are out due to changing the spring tension, check to see where the bridge is at (as compared to where you want it), and keep repeating this process. As you go, the amount of the difference continues to diminish, 'till you pretty much balance out.

I like four springs myself, but three should be enough, if you tighten the springs up at the claw sufficiently. (I'll take this moment to recommend the Hipshot Tremsetter to you, and, no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. This will act as the middle spring, and keep a pretty consistent "zero" spot as your point of balance if you "float" the trem.)

Another thing... if you don't have all the springs that you need with the guitar already, buy a complete set of five quality trem-springs, and use only the ones from the new set. Keep the old ones separate, as spares, from the new ones that you don't use. The springs need to all be as matched as possible for the most stable tuning and trem-action. (You can get a set of Fender springs at a Fender dealer, or order from someone like Stewart MacDonald or Allparts or the like.)

Of course, you'll have to adjust the neck relief and the intonation and action, too, as both the change in string gauges (and the subsequent change in tension) and the relocation of the tremelo will affect all of these.

So... is it to float, or to rest against the body? Concert-pitch "E", or detuned in some way? Stiff and sturdy, or light and bouncey, trem-action?

Once again, I've gotta recommend the excellent Guitar Player Repair Guide, written by Dan Erlewine. You'll never outgrow this book, often refer to it, probably get asked to loan it out, and maybe even wind up taking on DIY projects that you never would have considered before! Almost every time that I mention it on here, someone else pipes up with a "yeah, that's a good one!" type agreement. It includes factory set-up specs and techniques for Fender, Gibson, and Martin, among much more.

Best of luck, post back with more info and let us know how you make out! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Another thing... if you don't have all the springs that you need with the guitar already, buy a complete set of five quality trem-springs, and use only the ones from the new set. Keep the old ones separate, as spares, from the new ones that you don't use. The springs need to all be as matched as possible for the most stable tuning and trem-action.

Good point! I didn't think of that!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Hey! I was born in Winnipeg!

Everyone else's advice is right on. I have nothing to add except that I'm originally from Winnipeg.

Streetheart Rock! ;)

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Hey, Gabes, I just noticed that your posts state that you're from N'arl'ins... is it cool as Hell to live there, like I would surmise, or is it kinda like living anywhere?

The food and music scene would have me in spasms, I would think! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not originally from N.O. Only been here 8 years. Grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada.

I love New Orleans and I hate it.

Love:

-Doesn't ever snow.

-AWESOME food available for whatever you feel like spending (great expensive food, great cheap food).

-Inexpensive housing.

-Permissive social laws.

-Lots of great live jazz.

-Shitty visual art.

-Personal "excentricities" celebrated.

-School marching bands are funky.

Hate:

-Awful schools.

-Corrupt and inept city government.

-Rotting infrastructure.

-High crime.

-Below sea level.

-Racial tension.

-Not a lot of support for non-roots music.

-Hotbed for West Nile virus.

I highly recommend a visit sometime. Look me up if you ever do - I'll be happy to show you around.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

You do not necessarily have to add more springs to get the bridge set up properly when you go to heavier strings. Rather, you need to increase the spring tension of the existing trem springs. You do this by tightening he two screws which hold the spring claw assembly in place. Make the adustments gradually, retune the guitar each time until you get the bridge plate in proper position. Fender recommends that the bridge plate is about right when you have about a 1/8 inch gap between bottom rear portion of the bridge plate and the top of the guitar body. This allows both up and down tremming. From my experience, I do not recommend that you tighten the strings to make the bridge flush with the body for two reasons 1. It can have a dampening effect on string tone and sustain, and 2. It will not allow up tremming thus reducing you to 1/2 a trem.

I also highly recommend that you replace the center spring with a Tremsetter trem stabilizer. For more infor on the Tremsetter, see my two replies on the "Untunable Guitar" post which is currently on this forum.

Archived