Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My comparison mp3's of Custom Plus, Standard, Es-335, and Wolfgang

James-Italy

Just bought the latest addition to this rapidly growing guitar collection. Felt pretty bad about this one, the kid is finishing college and needs the money badly. When he handed her over I thought he was gonna cry....

Anyway, had a few hours today to fool around and was curious to see how they recorded and what the major differences are soundwise. The feel is obviously very different between each of them. One is Ebony, two are rosewood, and one is Birdseye Maple. My favorite overall is the LP Standard, but I enjoy playing all of them.

Remember I'm just learning this lead guitar stuff and have only had 1 lesson so far. (I better make some excuses as to why I suck!) Actually, I'm quite happy because I'm progressing steadily. Just don't expect any EVH licks, I recorded these to hear the differences in the guitars. So if anyone listens don't pay attention to the playing.

All are recorded using the exact same volume settings/patches/etc from the Line6 PodXT (changed manually with the dial while playing) recorded directly into Sonar and then exported from Sonar directy to mp3. No effects in the recording either pre or post recording. Everything is exactly as it went into Sonar. I used the same pick (Tuskbuffer!) and cable (monster) on all the guitars. I changed the pickup settings from Treble to Rhythm during each (approx at the same points). I tried to play the same thing each recording. Oh, and I had all the tone/volume pots cranked at max on all the guitars.

If anyone's interested, here they are. Each one is about 3 minutes. I'd be interested in any feedback about the guitars. (no criticques on the playing please :freak: )

\'97 LP Custom Plus (490R/498T pups)

\'01 LP Standard (490R/498T pups)

\'00 ES-335 Dot ReIssue (\'57 Classic HB\'ers)

\'98 Peavey Wolfgang

PodXT Patches:

EricJohnson Clean

SRV

GaryMoore Rhythm

Soldano

Streets

Angus

Photo of the Tribe......

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of how you feel about the timbres from the PodXT, it doesn't have the dynamics and subtle nuance of real amplifiers, especially various tube amps. I'm not certain you'll appreciate the differences between your various instruments running through the PodXT, then issuing the final product as a lossy MP3. (Although I certainly understand why, for the purpose of sharing this with us, you had to end up with MP3's.

I'm going to download several of the files anyway, but on dial up this will take a while, so I probably won't get back to you for a day or so, James.

Nice collection of instruments, though. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by James-Italy:

. My favorite overall is the LP Standard, but I enjoy playing all of them.

Rock on James :thu: I have a 2001 LP Standard also, vintage/tobacco sunburst with the 490/498 pups. I really love the clean sounds and the rhythm sounds on that guitar.

I had some trouble hearing the ES-335 clip, it was dropping out. The POD XT sounds quite good.

Neil,

I'm not a huge fan of the PodXT, but I have to admit it sounds pretty good for a little box. I'm with you- I prefer heated tubes anyday! But it's really easy to record with it on the fly and it keeps the neighbors happy. I didn't record with the Marshall/THD cause I don't have any way to export to my PC/Internet except by lugging the old dat upstairs... and I was trying out direct USB recording along with the guitars.

When I say it took me a few hours it's cause it took me that to setup Sonar/Pod/Edirol SD-90 for USB recording- I'd never done it before. The guitars I recorded in about half an hour. You can tell if you listen to the mp3's that I didn't stop when I made mistakes. :D

What I woulnd't give to have someone who know what they're doing twisting the knobs and pushing the sliders! Never underestimate the importance of soundmen/engineers!!!

Right? ;)

Steve,

Cool- another '01 LP Lover! :wave:

The '01 LP is just so sweat- perfect finish and neck that seems to be made for me. If I could save only one it would be that one.

James,

Cool little clips...

And congrats on the "new edition" to your collection!

I really like the sound of your LP's...

Like Steve, the clean sounds on the PODxt are much improved over the original, although I think the "dirt" in the overdrive on the original is a bit better... oh well!!!

I can tell you're looking to aquire your guitars when a "deal" pops up... but wait till you get your first strat. I think you'll find it gives you a much different vibe than the guitars you have already...

Another thing you might experiment with... try using your UniValve, Marshall, and PODxt at THE SAME TIME. Like many guitarists, if you use different settings, overdrive tones with cleans, and so on you can create a "Wall of Sound"...

This concept has been used successfully by SRV, Santana, Eric Johnson, and many others. I especially like a Marshall and Fender combination... along with a VOX sound should give you interesting overdrive sounds combined with clean... resulting in the clarity and spank of the clean combined with the overdrive and sustain of the Marshall or Soldano or something.

It's fun to experiment with this sort of thing!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Hey, James! I just saw your replies to me on the "Which Fender?" -thread; thought I'd abstain from hijacking another thread, and talk to ya here! :D

That Custom is beautiful looking! And, I find a certain charm in the wear-spots, etc. on gold hardware like that.

The LP's sound awfully similar in the recordings, and the different p'ups in the 335 are apparant. I'm leaning towards possibly putting some Gibson '57 Classics in my LP Classic Premium Plus, or some Gibson Burstbuckers, or some kind of Seymours, or something a little more "vintagey" and dynamic but still a little "hot" and "fat". The '57 Classics in the 335 sound particularly nice, by the way!

See-ya... -k

P.S.- I'll download the Wolfgang another day, I also have a slow dial-up connection! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived