Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amplifier Suggestions/Opinions

ridger

You could do a lot better by buying an amp on the used market. Check out your local pennysaver or check out Ebay. I bought a used Ampeg Reverberocket for $400 w/shipping - tubes, 2x12, 50 watts, 2 channel. Much better than some of what I have seen listed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you that miss that classic tube smell, try "Tube-In-A-Can."

Simply spray into the back of your solid state amp and get the rich aroma of over driven tubes. ( Haha..just kidding)

Let me pass on some advice that someone gave me years ago...."If you're even thinking about getting a Fender amp, get it!"

regards,

Hoot

First of all, if you're a Strat/Les Paul kinda guy, anything that isn't tube is pointless. Around or under $5bills, try the Peavey Delta Blues. The 2-10 30w is about $550 street. I play both the above guitars at gigs 5-8 times a month. I can duplicate tones (highly reco the Tone Bone stuff from Radial with this setup) Clapton, Beck, Page, Rossington, Collins....etc. which is probably about what you want to sound like.

I love technology.. but in amps tubes are hard to improve on for classic rock blues sound.

Gregmedia

Most of the suggestions made by other folks on this forum seem to be sound advice, however, I would suggest to you that if you are going to spend the money on a Les Paul (at least $1000), then you should also consider spending at least that much (rather than the $500) on an amp. In the end, an amp of this quality is a bargain in that:

#1. You will LOVE IT! (and never want to part with it)

#2. You won't want to trade it off down the road(and lose money in the process).

#3. It will make the guitar you already have soung great (Strats ain't cheap either). In fact, I personally would rather play a cheaper guitar (like a Jap Strat) thru a good amp than plug a Les Paul thru a cheapo amp. I think most would agree that you will get a much better sound by making this choice. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this issue.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Keep it tune, 75Lester

Archived