Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul on Ebay, I'm scared- Help!

James-Italy

Hi guys!

I don't need a new guitar.

I've got the Peavey Wolfgang (full US model) that I is my new love.

I've got a Hamer Strat Copy and a Steinberger which are both gonna be traded in whenever I get around to it. Fortunately, money is not really an issue. As long as I'm not being suckered and the price is fair, it's cool.

I was surfing on Ebay in Italy and found a 1995 Gibson Les Paul (Jimmy Page) that looks pretty sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2520024000

Should I bite? Should I buy a Melancon instead? Just kidding!

Seriously, what do you guys think?

My next guitar will probably a Gibson something or other. If I go and play a few at the local store, I know I'll come home with at least one.... I'm hopeless. This one seems to be a great guitar and I like the Jimmy Page factor. However, I've never bought off Ebay and since I can't play it first I'm kindof nervous.

Any thoughts? Any experiences with Ebay?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how much 1700 Euros is. That's a NICE looking guitar though. Best thing might be to check the blue book value and compare.

From what I understand, the Jimmy Page model has some nice switching options via push/pull pots that allows you to get a lot of sounds out of an otherwise stock LP guitar.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

No experience with E-Bay, they're pretty reputable, but be very, iron-clad cautious when dealing with the actual individuals.

-BUT- I do lovingly own a '96 Gibson Les Paul "Classic" which is nearly identical, same guitar and pickups but w/out the coil-tap/series/parellel -switching; and the fingerboard on the JP/LP has a "compound radius" profile. The neck shape may be a little, but not very, different.

I love this guitar (mine) and it has turned a few LP-haters into LP-lovers. As long as it's in good shape and not modified in any detrimental way, and you get honest business from this guy, you will NOT regret buying it! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Just looked at the pics (and saved them, if you buy it I'll have pics of your new axe, how cool... ) and it looks pretty nice! I have my doubts about some of his hype and "facts" regarding the JP/LPs, but most of what he said was true. Special wound p'ups? Snort! No, just multi-conductor (so they can split, phase, & series/parellel) versions of the ceramic-magnet 496R and 500T p'ups in mine, a little dark and pretty hot but the switching options make that a good thing all around.

If the price is right, and you cover your ass, go for it!

That looks like a sweet guitar... I bet you'll love it if you win the auction.

If you're not a familiar e-bay'r, let me warn you that the "real" competitors for the guitar will probably ONLY make themselves known in the final minute or so before the auction closes... So be ready to fight it out... a few tips, set your "maximum" on NOT a round number... A Euro more than the next guy's bid is as good as 10 Euro's... be aware when this is happening... and if you're willing to counter bid above your original "maximum" that's your last chance.

The escrow thing is very smart on a purchase of this size... I've done this from both a seller and buyer, and it's worked well... the guitars were accepted, and though it cost a little, it sure saved a lot of stress.

Good Luck.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I've never bought something as expensive as a guitar on eBay, but a friend of mine buys and sells guitars and amps on there all the time, and has had very good experiences. Granted, he also knows how to work on guitars himself, so the fact that he doesn't get to inspect them in person before buying isn't such a concern to him. The escrow payment is a very good idea. Be prepared to have to at least adjust the truss rod and maybe do other minor tweaks - although LP's tend to hold their setup better than most guitars, the necks are pretty heavy duty.

The guitar looks very nice too! As long as you pay what you would consider a fair price for it, it looks like it'd be hard to go wrong. What Neil said is totally true though, about last-minute "snipers" who sneak in and outbid you at the last possible second. Be sure to place a maximum bid that really does reflect the most you're willing to pay.

I just did a major purchase on ebay ($1000!) - rattled my nerves for sure! But, happy to say, I didn't get burned. I have in the past, though...

NEVER send a check or money order - if you have no protection like escrow or a payment service, then it's a pure gamble. I got burned by a guy who had a fair amount of positive feedback (for selling - anybody can get it for buying stuff!) who seems to have one day dropped out of sight, taking my $$ as well as several other peoples' with no explanation. Lucky for me, it was only about $125 - one guy got stuck for over $600! :eek:

It looks good that the guy has escrow service posted as an option. Go for it, and watch out for those last-minute auction artists.

Decide how much it's absolutely worth to you - at what point that you'd say "screw it, it's not worth it!" - then bid that much in the last 5 minutes of the auction: if you don't get maxed out, you'll get it for best price (proxy bidding means they'll bid for you, up to your top amount; so if you say bid to $1000, and the bidding goes up to $500, then your bid will be $500 + the minimum incremental bid amount shown for a minimum bid). Also, this way you don't spend th whole day wondering - because the last couple of minutes are what counts, anyways.

Good luck! :wave:

Looks very nice! If you're interested, this guitar was finished on August 30th, 1995. The Jimmy Page model has been very collectable, so I expect the price may double as the auction ends. Especially if what he says is true, that this is from the first run. It has most, if not all the extras that second owners kept trying to recover from me, at Gibson Customer Support. I suggest you contact them at 1-800-4GIBSON and ask them to run the serial number in the computer. Model LPPGHBGH1 (Les Paul Jimmy Page, Honey Burst finish with gold hardware), Serial #92425472

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

...I have my doubts about some of his hype and "facts" regarding the JP/LPs, but most of what he said was true. Special wound p'ups? Snort! No, just multi-conductor (so they can split, phase, & series/parellel) versions of the ceramic-magnet 498R and 500T p'ups in mine, a little dark and pretty hot but the switching options make that a good thing all around...

I believe you meant, 496R and 500T, perhaps your guitar does have a 498 Super Alnico in place of the ceramic 496. ;) Again, check with Gibson customer support. Be certain they give you information for the '95 model/initial run. It may have had custom pickups. The website doesn't say. Either way, I highly doubt they were hand wound, even if there were custom pickups. Gibson has a state of the art pickup manufacturing facility in Elgin, Illinois. To my knowledge they don't hand wind anything. To be sure, give 'em a call.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Good lookin' out, thanks for the correction, f-s! It is the 49 6 ceramic-magnet model; my apologies to everyone, especially if it clouded up info on this JP/LP considered for purchase.

I do think you should buy it, James! I think that it would go really well with your rig.

I may be mistaken about the p'ups in the 1st run JP/LP's, I just went by the lit I had read in the past. If they pulled some switches, that sucks! I was also predisposed to be skeptical of some of this guys' rap due to the hype-y, hard-sell b.s. nature. That always puts me off!

I've heard some really stupid b.s. on gear over the years... I should collect'em together sometime and post'em for laughs!

Thanks again guys.

I really liked that guitar, but the seller came back with "if u send me $500 bucks by Western Union now and the rest when you get the guitar, I'll cancel the auction". We hadn't even settled on price! Now they won't respond to my requests as to how they will ship.... Damn.

Anyway, I would love to get this guitar, but will ONLY enter into a deal if it's payment upon receipt of goods.

Now I've got the bug though. Gonna take my Hamer and Steinberger tomorrow to my local guitar store and try out a Les Paul. I hope they have a Custom or Supreme. While I'm there I'll also give the PRS a swing, but Stratstyles are not really my thing.

I play pretty bad, but hope to get a bluesy rock sound some day. My infleunces are EVH, Zeppelin, Bad Company (Mick Ralphs era), Gary Moore (in the blues stage), and tons of that 80's rock garbage that I still love, but keep hidden (I won't admit to having all of Poison's CDs :/ ).

James-Italy, that's too bad! I wish you lotsa luck in your LP search.

Speakin' of PRS guitars, you should check a PRS Singlecut, or the dbl-cut McCarty models. I've yet to check a Single', but I do regret not buying a certain, particularly stunning (dbl-cut) Mc' once... it was a very, very "pro"-feeling guitar, and actually more "Gibson-y" than "Strat"-like. It was a great deal, total showroom-new, but priced with the "used" crowd due to being a dealer-to-dealer trade (the store didn't have any official brand-name ofiliations, just used'n'vintage). Well, I snoozed'n'losed!

If that makes you feel any better, another "one that got away" sad-story, then check this... I had money down on an unusual Les Paul, actually a '54 but fitted with a separate tune-o-matic and stop-tailpiece, old P.A.F.'s, and an incredibley exquisite pro-quality faded-sunburst finish. All of that replaced the original one-pc. stop-tail bridge, P-90 "soapbar" single coils, and "gold-top" finish, for those who don't know. Sort of a "counterfeit" '59 "Standard" Les Paul, but still a genuine, vintage Gibson LP.

It had the absolutely most stunning and strange 3-pc. quilt-flame-psychedelic figured-maple top I've yet seen on any guitar, and sounded awsomely good, would do beautiful feedback on whole chords sounding like splintering wood erupting out of the speakers, and rated "fair-to-good" in playability.

The week after I put the minimum down on it, I was "let-go" from my job on the 90th day of being there (only to be offered the same job again two weeks later if I would come in through a temp-agencey of their picking) and, outta respect for the storeowner, one of the best of the "good-guys" I've met, I deferred to the next guy to offer him cold, hard cash'n'carry. (I was too proud to take the temp-deal; nothing against temp-agenceys, but the employer's dirty-pool tactics really burned me up...)

Best of luck, good hunting, and good jamming- -k

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Looks very nice! If you're interested, this guitar was finished on August 30th, 1995. The Jimmy Page model has been very collectable, so I expect the price may double as the auction ends. Especially if what he says is true, that this is from the first run. It has most, if not all the extras that second owners kept trying to recover from me, at Gibson Customer Support. I suggest you contact them at 1-800-4GIBSON and ask them to run the serial number in the computer. Model LPPGHBGH1 (Les Paul Jimmy Page, Honey Burst finish with gold hardware), Serial #92425472

Again, check with Gibson customer support. Be certain they give you information for the '95 model/initial run. It may have had custom pickups. The website doesn't say. Either way, I highly doubt they were hand wound, even if there were custom pickups. Gibson has a state of the art pickup manufacturing facility in Elgin, Illinois. To my knowledge they don't hand wind anything. To be sure, give 'em a call.

Great Call! Gibson responded to my Email in just a few hours with a lot of info on this guitar. As I've said earlier, this Ebay thing isn't gonna work. The guy keeps telling me to send him $500 by Western Union and the rest when I get the guitar (Yeah right!). I'm pretty excited about getting a nice Les Paul. I hope my local store has a nice Custom/Author/Supreme model available. My Wolfgang needs a friend!

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Great Call! Gibson responded to my Email in just a few hours with a lot of info on this guitar. As I've said earlier, this Ebay thing isn't gonna work. The guy keeps telling me to send him $500 by Western Union and the rest when I get the guitar (Yeah right!). I'm pretty excited about getting a nice Les Paul. I hope my local store has a nice Custom/Author/Supreme model available. My Wolfgang needs a friend![/QB]

Your welcome!

(Refer to bold type above; Mr. Roger's voice:) "Can you say, 'scam-artist'? I knew you could!"

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived