Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yet another VIRUS WARNING

i just got this email from our IT guy "Virus Warning WORST EVER VIRUS (CNN announced) PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !! A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you get the mail, delete it. Please pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. Also: Intel announced that a new and very destructive virus was discovered recently. If you receive an email called "An Internet Flower For You," do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. Your computer will not be able to boot up" SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sigh... WHy doesn't anyone that ever posts or emails these messages [i]ever[/i] freakin' check on the veracity of it [i]before[/i] they send it? Check one of the antivirus software sites. They do this stuff for a living. If there was such an alert, if "this virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee," [i][b]wouldn't McAfee's website have an alert posted about it?[/b][/i] In fact, if you go to McAffe, you see: [b]There are no AVERT alerts at this time[/b] Check the hoax page too, this one datse from a freakin' year ago... http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=98893 Why does someone [i]always[/i] have to come out and say this after the fact? Why don't you... you nervous nellies ever [i]verify[/i] this stuff before you spread it, [i]check it out[/i] before you get people worried? Arrrrrrrghhhh.... -Nick Burns

ya know Nick, right after i posted this warning there was a replied email to the message IT sent out saying the same exact thing. i checked myself, it is in fact a HOAX!!! (shame on you IT dept. for not checking) let's just let this thread fall off the page - ITS A HOAX!! Craig, i wont be offended if this topic is deleted. a lesson has been learned - DON'T TRUST THE IT DEPARTMENT!!!, they're like weather reporters, they are paid to be wrong [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] i admit, i should have checked this before posting. my mistake [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif[/img] no harm, no foul SactoG This message has been edited by sactog on 10-12-2001 at 01:44 PM
0096 2251 2110 8105

Archived