Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on a getting an acoustic guitar

Jay J.

I have been playing bass for about 5 years. I have never played much guitar, but now I am looking to get a acoustic guitar to mess around with. I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to get a crap on eather. bassically I want to get the cheapest one possible that is still a decent guitar. what would you suggest. I don't now many kinds other than the mainstream stuff, but I figure that like with bass there are some less known companies out there that make a good product for a good price.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's lots of choices.

Under $200 you're better off buying a used guitar. If you have a friend who plays or can pick yourself, you can find nice guitars by Yamaha, Guild, Takemine, Ibanez, Ovation, Washburn and others.

If you're nervous about used, or just want a new guitar you'll see and hear differences in guitars below $200, between $300 and $600, and then again around $1000 and up.

There are too many guitars to provide detailed opinions about, but some new guitar made by the companies I listed should fit your needs. Others here will surely add some companies I've forgotten to mention.

A few features to look for. Solid vs non solid tops. Generally speaking solid tops are preferred and used exclusively in high end guitars. They will often "sweeten" with time and play and may have a noticable sound difference even when you compare them in a store. On the other hand laminated tops are a bit "tougher" and if you like the sound, it will tend to stay that way...

Another price factor is electronics. If you don't want or need them, you'll be able to save a bit. If you do start with a non-electric, you can later add a sound hole pickup or a built in pickup...

I also like to bring a guitar playing friend with me when I pick a guitar. Then once I've found a few guitars that feel and sound good to me, I'll have them play while I stand back and listen. It's good to get a listeners perspective, especially on an acoustic, and you can turn around and do a "blind" test if you want to pick the one that sounds the best... regardless of looks or price.

I've saved myself some money on purchases where my ear told me different than the price tag. But it's a personal thing, so pick the one YOU think sounds best, not your friend or the sales guy at the store. :D

Good luck with your search...

Let me tease you with your future...

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com

The guitars these guys sell are where your new acoustic guitar addiction is going to lead you!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Go to www.carvin.com and look at the Cobalt acoustics. Outstanding guitars by any standards. They will make you want to pick 'em up and play 'em. They are factory direct which cuts out the middle-men mark-ups which is why they can sell them as low as they do. I own a C980. I went to the factory store outlet a month ago and played them all and they all have the same quality feel. A lower cost guitar is not lower quality or playability. You should also know that they have a 10 day moneyback guarantee trial period. All you "risk" in ordering one is the $20 shipping. Also, you should know that they are giving you a free hardshell case until the end of the month. That will save you the normal $59 charge which is what you would pay for it with a new guitar. It is mmore than that to order one separately. It's a genuinely good deal. Please feel free to e-mail me or ask any questions about tonal quality of any of the models and I will be happy to try to help you. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com

The guitars these guys sell are where your new acoustic guitar addiction is going to lead you!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

guitplayer

Well guitplayer, it looks like we shop at the same store.... Right there in Carlsbad right? Why didn't you ever reply to my thread about coming to Jam with my band. Honest opinions are great with me....

Yeah like guitplayer said you really need to find what you like.

Personally it comes to this, Larivee, Martin (I really love the Eric Clapton signature guitar) and for me the biggest one Taylor. Next I think Gibson.

I really like the individual notes you get from Taylors and Larivee as it seems that they get lost in a big expensive Martin. Though a Martin has that low end that just vibrates in your arms and it really does nice to strum one now and again.

Matt

Archived