Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for more Robert Johnson style playing to listen to. Reccommended CD's?

James-Italy

Just pulled out one of my old Robert Johnson CDs. Still blows me away everytime I lisen to it. To think this guy was playing 70 years ago is mind boggling!

I was in a heated discussion with some Audiophiles on another forum and I made the point that content is sooo much more important than the quality of the "high-end" stereo and "high-end" speakers. My comment was something like, "give me some Robert Johnon and listening to it will still give me chills and bring tears to my eyes whether I listen to it on a $250,000 system, a cheap home stereo, or a walkman." Of course, that made me pull out my collection of those treasured 29 songs which Mr. Johnson left to us!!!

I just love that delta blues or slide blues style. Any CDs you guys can reccommend? Robert Johnson seems to epitomize exactly my definition of "the blues". I've probably bought 25 "blues" CD's but have never been able to find that same feeling or style. There are so many differing styles of blues! If I even hear a hint of Jazz I start feeling ill.

Anyway, here are a couple of other examples diverging from the great Robert Johnson. I really love the guitar part from Ry Cooder from "Crossroads" when the Karate Kid duels with Steve Vai. Zeppelin got me started with songs like "You Shook Me", "I can't Quit you Baby", and "Tea for One". A perennial favorite in my CD player is a Great White CD. Just for one song though! They shocked the Hell outta me with a wonderful slow bluesish-rock "House of Broken Love".

Occasionally, I find something new that holds my interest for a while- although it seems like it's been quite a while though... maybe since The Black Crowes "Shake your money maker"? Anyway, I'd really love to dive into something new to listen to if anyone has any suggestions.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy Johnson Blind Willie Johnson Son House Skip James Johnny Shines Robert Lockwood Jr. Louisiana Red Mississippi John Hurt Mississippi Fred McDowell Leadbelly Blind Willie McTell Washboard Rhythm Kings Walter Roland Tommy McClennan John Hammond, Jr. Muddy Waters Elmore James

Charley Patton Son House Lonnie Johnson Skip James Kokomo Arnold

Rory Block John Hammond, Jr. Floyd Jones Eddie Taylor

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Son House played deep Delta blues and was an influence on Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters. I finally got one of his cds recently. Many others listed above, but I'll just name a couple of favorites in any blues style: Magic Sam and Otis Rush (Chicago West Side), Howlin' Wolf!!, R.L. Burnside and T-Model Ford from North Mississippi.

Lightnin Hopkins(Texas)also.

• 1 year later...

Yummy - Listenin to Son House right now.

I wanta be a Baptist Preacher - so's I don't have to do no work ! hehe

Don't 'cha mind people grinnin in your face - just bear this in mind - a true friend is hard to find ! :thu:

Medicine for the soul - cool licks too !

Son does some acapello stuff sometimes accompanied by his own hand clappin...

Anyway a new treasure followed me home tonight from the bargain bin (my favorite section !)

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/songsartists/songsbioalpha.html#H

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=1418345

Johnny Winter's blues stuff is worth finding... the older albums have some amazing slide...

For more "rocking" stuff, find Johnny Winter Captured Live. Wow.

Muddy Waters. I'm Ready Johnny Winter produced this for Muddy... it's awesome and real blues from the soul.

There are lots of compilation cd's... but my favorites are the Alligator records ones. The cool thing about these compilations, is that if a particular artists makes you interested, you can go find more of their stuff.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by kylen:

Yummy - Listenin to Son House right now.

I wanta be a Baptist Preacher - so's I don't have to do no work ! hehe

Don't 'cha mind people grinnin in your face - just bear this in mind - a true friend is hard to find ! :thu:

Medicine for the soul - cool licks too !

Son does some acapello stuff sometimes accompanied by his own hand clappin...

Anyway a new treasure followed me home tonight from the bargain bin (my favorite section !)

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/songsartists/songsbioalpha.html#H

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=1418345

WOW! You brought this thread to life exactly one year after the last post! Thanks for the great link. :thu:

Over the last year I picked up some great CDs- Muddy Waters "The Anthology" (great), Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan "In Session", The Very Best of Albert King, and Buddy Guy "Sweet Tea" (love this CD!), and others that I don't remember off the top of my head.

I'm going to order some Son House today, somewhere along the way I forgot to get anything by him. I'll also order some Johnny Winter on Guit's reccommendation.

• 1 year later...

Down At The Crossroads - The Robert Johnson Connection is a cool three-CD mini box-set that includes:

* Twenty-five tracks that are examples of "Roots, Origins & Influences", artists and songs that had an impact on R.J., on the first disc

* Twenty-nine tracks by R.J. himself, "The Robert Johnson Songbook", on the second disc

* Twenty-two tracks by those who followed over the years, influenced by and paying tribute to R.J., "The Legacy", on the third disc

Very cool listening, and an excellent historical perspective and archive!

The packaging is so super cool, too: the three CD's are housed in a rough-textured, cloth-covered box, not unlike old book-binding; and the three discs are screened with the labels of ancient vintage records, sheathed in little record sleeves! An excellent booklet of info is also included.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived