Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New pick-ups for my Tele?

Mats Nermark

Hi,

I want to improve the sound of my MIJ 62 Telecaster Custom.

Do you have any suggestions?

The Tele has a basswood body and rosewood fingerboard.

Has anyone tried Fender's new 62 Vintage Tele Custom pick-ups?

If you have any negative views on any unit that would also be good to know.

Thanks!

Mats Nermark

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mats,

Although I do not play Tele's live, I do own one that I've used in the studio. The main reason I don't use my Tele live is because it's only 21 frets and I can't get the tones that come from Strat's by mixing either the front two or back two pickups. I have thought about getting a three pickup model Tele then I think I could gig with it but then again I've got three Strats so why bother. Now back to something to do with your post. I have the Joe Bardin pickups in my Tele which I think are great as long as your not looking for a true Tele sound. The Bardins are actually humbucking pickups and have a great blues sound, no noise, no high pitch squeal from the bridge pickup when cranked up, and a higher output to push your amp a little quicker into distortion, but then again they do not (in my oppinion) have the twangy Tele sound. I suggest getting in touch with Bill at Nash Guitars.

Last fall I was considering replacing the Bardin pickups for something to get the true Tele sound and he sent me a cd with samples of Seymore Duncan Tele pickups, although the cd was not all that helpful to me just because of the styles of music being played but I did get a idea of which Seymore Duncan pickup I would buy that is if I did buy a SD pickup. Hope this has been of some sorta help.

When in doubt, BEND IT!!!

Originally posted by Mats Nermark:

Hi,

I want to improve the sound of my MIJ 62 Telecaster Custom.

Do you have any suggestions?

The Tele has a basswood body and rosewood fingerboard.

1) what type of sound are you going for? Blues? Rock? Jazz?

2) what kind of pickups are in it now? What configuration?

3) Do you want modern or vintage tones? (kinda relates to Q1)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

1) what type of sound are you going for? Blues? Rock? Jazz?

2) what kind of pickups are in it now? What configuration?

3) Do you want modern or vintage tones? (kinda relates to Q1)

Hi,

1) All of the above plus country twang.

2) Japanese originals

3) Vintage

Thanks!

Mats Nermark

Mats,

Back in the 80's I had a wonderful tele that had been modded a bit...(wish I still had it). When I purchased it, it had a 70's strat pickup in the neck (required some routing) and a dimarzio pre-b tele in the bridge. I hated the bridge pick-up and replaced it with a Duncan Alnico II which was one of the best pickups I've ever owned. It had everything I wanted in a tele. I kept the neck pickup as it was OK and added a third pickup (a Duncan vintage rverse wound reverse polarity) in the middle position like the current Nashville teles. Added a mini toggle and a 5 way strat switch you can get 7 pickup combinations. You've got a great tele plus all of the sounds that a strat can add.

That Alnico II bridge pickup was wonderful. The others I had were OK but nothing exciting.

Roy

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Archived