Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doors on Leno

Compact Diss

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang, missed it.

Love White Falcons, there, Cowbell...

Hmmm...yeah...it's hard to get any semblence of a band back after the original singer has gone (unless you're AC/DC)...especially when you're talking about as powerful a presence as Morrison.

Well, if they're having fun, who gives a shit? That's what counts. Keep on rockin...uh...in the free world.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

At least they didn't opt for Jim Belushi! ;)

Missed it (mis-set the VCR :rolleyes: ) but I noticed in the promos that Manzarek had regrown his crewcut into that swept-over 1960s do...is that marketing strategy or what?!

Was Densmore there, or did they "John Paul Jones" him, as treatened?

Was Densmore there, or did they "John Paul Jones" him, as threatened?
Ohhhh...that was harsh. Never diss my man JPJ, he credits a hell of a lot less credit than he deserves. That's the only reason I listen to Led Zeppelin. I really don't want to hear Plant screaming like a girl and Page's mediocre playing. I think it's plenty safe to say that nobody would listen to LZ if it wasn't for JPJ and his killer playing.

I know you weren't really making fun of him,just using an example. I just wanted to sound off on those views.

Originally posted by Wickerman:

Was the Glen Danzig? I don't know his face but it sure sounded like him...

no-as earlier reported it was ian astbury of! he was one of the many guest singers the doors had on that live retrospective they did on vh1 awhile ago, i think it was-and i remember reading that the guys thought he picked up on the morrison vibe the best...fwiw

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Hey, Allen have you been banging that cowbell right next to your ear for a long time? ;)

I don't know how you inferred my comment as an aspersion on Jones.

What I meant (for those who might not know this) is that Jones has been deliberately &, considering his contribution & abilities, quite unfairly kept out of any Zep related activities in recent years, apparently by Jimmy Page.

Somewhat similarly, there's little mutual friendship betwwen Manzarek & Densmore.

Anyhow, was he there?---although I'd guess he wasn't.

What I can't figure why either band can't develop newly instead of doing that "self-cover band" thing.

New question on a different page from d.

My guess(or hope) would be that it's an attempt to "re-acquaint" the public with who they are, get the nostalgia quickly out of the way and bring on the new.

You might think I'm pulling your legs, but I do know some young-'uns who think Val Kilmer was the Door's singer originally!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

Was Densmore there, or did they "John Paul Jones" him, as threatened?
Ohhhh...that was harsh. Never diss my man JPJ, he credits a hell of a lot less credit than he deserves. That's the only reason I listen to Led Zeppelin. I really don't want to hear Plant screaming like a girl and Page's mediocre playing. I think it's plenty safe to say that nobody would listen to LZ if it wasn't for JPJ and his killer playing.

I know you weren't really making fun of him,just using an example. I just wanted to sound off on those views.

Plant Scream like a guitar? Page's mediocre playing?? Come on. Your right about JPJ's lack of credit but LZ was a BAND in every sense of the word. They would never have become what they have without the talents of all of its members.

Hey, cowbewll or whatever,

how old are you? You don´t know shit about music, so keep your thougts away from us. The Stairway to Heaven solo, from The Song Remains the Same, was a little peace of pure art. Go study a little, please.

Trator....I'll take it easy on you. I mean, you're a newbie and all. Stairway to Heaven is I great song, I never said it wasn't. I'll also bet that your real young,considering how you think JP is sooo cool and all. Seeing as how crappy you type. I also think you don't really know all to much about music yourself, because of the poor thoughts you write down. In example, you clearly state the Stairway to Heaven solo is really good. I like to think that the acoustic part is better, more thought put into it. Anybody could have come up with that solo.

Alright, lets test your knowledge,shall we? What was the guitar used to record the solo from Stairway, how bout amp?

Name the distortion unit Jimmy Page uses frequently.

When was the first time all of the Yardbird guitarists first played onstage?

What year Gibson Les Paul does he have?What pickups in each position?

Alright, the ultimate LZ fan question, everbody knows this: What was JP's main recording axe?

Bonus: What are the 3 amps SRV played live?

I'll give you 24 hours to answer.

Originally posted by Jotown at Craigs house:

You know what is odd?

Classic soul vocal groups have been doing that for years. Check out the Temptations, the Drifters, the Coasters, The Platters, and countless other groups. They do it all the time.

And the original members never include the lead singer, who actually sang all of their hits.

I saw the rerun of the Doors on Leno tonight. And yeah, the Jim Morrison impersonator was a bit lame, but the band was alright.

I included my previous post because it made me think of the guys in the band. Just because the lead singer of the group was an ass, and had a substance abuse problem, and subsequently died before his time, why should the other cats lose their career's?

That kinda sounds like my former employer, David Ruffin of the Temptations, and their story. If it was a company that you started with three other guys, and one of them goes off the deep end, would you say "to hell with all that hard work we did". I probably wouldn't.

In light of seeing the Stones suck pretty big time on HBO last week.(Making millions I might add) And the Donna's sucking bigtime on Leno and SNL this weekend, I feel my original judgement on the Doors was a bit too harsh. I hope they all make some dough, and get out of debt, and pretend to be rockstars again. Even if just for a minute.

I guess I can find a place in my heart to not begrudge at least Krieger and Manzarek for that. :)

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Cowbell,

Everybody knows he used a Telecaster and a Fender 12 string electric! I kinda agree with you about Led Zeppelin... they kinda suck, but they have had so many high points at the same time. People can take that the wrong way, but Led Sep really re-hashed a lot of stuff that came before them, in not as interesting a way. They did create magic though.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Originally posted by trator:

Hey, cowbewll or whatever,

how old are you? You don´t know shit about music, so keep your thougts away from us. The Stairway to Heaven solo, from The Song Remains the Same, was a little peace of pure art. Go study a little, please.

Now don't be so hard on allen. He just likes to go from thread to thread and mess with people.

He doesn't mean any harm....do you allen? :rolleyes::bor:

Not really, and I don't think I really said anything that offended anyone before that post.

Apparently you like to mess with people though Jotown.

Wow allen, I am aghast :eek: ! I come to your defense when an offended party takes exception to one of your post's, and instead of "thanks jotown" I get this?

I think that I will go cry now. :wave:

Originally posted by Jotown:

Not really, and I don't think I really said anything that offended anyone before that post.

Apparently you like to mess with people though Jotown.

Wow allen, I am aghast :eek: ! I come to your defense when an offended party takes exception to one of your post's, and instead of "thanks jotown" I get this?

I think that I will go cry now. :wave:

You do that.

Times up Trator. Looks like you don't know enough info to keep up in this forum. :D

I'd like to address something Jotown said up there.

He was talking about how some groups, like the Temptations, carry on in spite of changes in personel, even lead singers.

I think I mentioned something similsr in a Doors thread on a different page, but it's worth mentioning again.

The stones, also mentioned, survived in spite of changes, albeit not of the lead singer. But other groups HAVE gotten new frontmen, and carried on.

Take this example, if you will; Everyone talks about how the London Symphony Orchestra has always been a top rated ensemble. But, I'm willing to bet there's not ONE original member left in it!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by whitefang:

I'd like to address something Jotown said up there.

He was talking about how some groups, like the Temptations, carry on in spite of changes in personel, even lead singers.

I think I mentioned something similsr in a Doors thread on a different page, but it's worth mentioning again.

The stones, also mentioned, survived in spite of changes, albeit not of the lead singer. But other groups HAVE gotten new frontmen, and carried on.

Take this example, if you will; Everyone talks about how the London Symphony Orchestra has always been a top rated ensemble. But, I'm willing to bet there's not ONE original member left in it!

Whitefang

It is an interesting double standard. Truth be told; messed up as Jim Morrison was most of the time, I am sure his good performances were few and far between. Documentary footage of him live have always been very dissapointing to me.

What if the Doors on Leno, sounded better than the Doors at the Filmore? I'm not saying they did, but what if? Is the priciple still what is that offensive to most folks posting on this?

Originally posted by d:

Trator...I'll give you 24 hours to answer.

Lookout, e'r'body, Marshall Allen's a-comin'...& he's got that look in his eye!

;)

Wow!!!

You mean Marshall Allen the sax player from the Sun Ra Arkestra?!?! ;)

Archived