Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Squire & Fender Strats

ridger

I've been looking at some Strats on ebay. Forgive me for my ignorance, but is there actually much difference in quality between the Squire and Fender (MIM or US)? I've seen some older Japan Squires for sale that are supposedly better quality than those produced today. I've compared specs of all on Fender's web site and can't see much difference other that wood. Maybe a more experienced player can tell a difference. Are the US Strats more expensive due to labor rates or from better quality components? Thanks for your time and sorry if this is a repetitive question.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newer Squires are made in Korea out of cheap components and with what amounts to slave labor and are garbage IMO.

Fenders are made in both the US and in Mexico. Obviously the Mex Fenders are cheaper (slave labor) but the quality is almost as good as the American guitars. In fact, I've heard from a lot of players who swear by Mex Fenders.

Japanese Fenders were always a great deal. If there's one thing the Japanese know how to do well, it's quality control. Japanese Squires from the early-mid 80s were at least as good as the American Fenders of the time and were sometimes better. Since then, American quality control has gotten a lot better.

I recommend that you try any guitar before you buy it. Fenders vary tremendously in sound from one guitar to the next - even when they're the same model. Some rock and some are duds.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I second Gabriel E's assessment. I own an American Strat and two higher quality MIM Strats ( a Jimmy Vaughan Tex-Mex model and an earlier non-signature Tex-Mex model with a slimmer neck). the quality of these MIM Strats is nearly as good as the American Strat. The key difference in material is a poplar body on the MIM's and an alder body on the American Strats.

The Squire Strats on the other hand are cheap made in Korea guitars. I have been told that the bodie on these is made from laminated plywood. The variation in quality is most apparent in the Squire line so I would avoid them and go for a MIM Strat instead.

Archived