Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

about distortion pedals

pizzaguy

i wanna know, if all distortion pedals mess up with the guitar's original tone.

i can hear some differences when i play my jackson performer and my epiphone sg special, but only when they're clean or with the amp's distortion... they both sound different. but when i use a pedal, it sounds just the same.

i've heard that sum pedals doesnt mess up with the tone, but i want to know what exactly makes a pedal change the tone and other dont. what i have to look after? if i have a good pedal, then i wont need a good guitar?

pizza rules dudes

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pizzaguy, the circuits used for many multi-effect pedal and rackmount processors add huge amounts of gain, then limit the output. Adding that much distortion to even a relatively weak, single coil pickup and then limiting goes a long way to evening out the harmonic content of the signal.

In layman's terms, high gain, heavily limited (compressed) circuits make most every pickup sound the same.

It's now pretty easy to create impressive, heavily distorted sounds. (Due to quieter circuits with higher output.) The less you limit the distorted signal, however, the more dynamics (soft to loud contrast) can be nuanced from an instrument. And since you've reduced how much you're leveling out harmonic content, instruments tend to sound different.. because the signals they send your pedal or amp ARE different from one to the next.

There are, certainly, different timbres of heavy distortion. Those differences are far more subtle when comparing clean tones. The variations, with clean or slightly distorted tones, are even more pronounced when comparing single coil and humbucking pickups in a variety of physical positions on several different instruments.

Good tone begins at a well crafted instrument with pickups that suit your style. Unless all you want is heavy distortion, no processor can guarantee a great tone from cheap instruments.

Any hammer will do for most homeowners. Craftsman use professional grade tools, and they choose the best, specific tool for the job.

I encourage you to audition lots of gear before choosing an expensive setup.

Am I making any sense to you?? :confused::)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived