Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The trouble with low wattage amps...

Tedly Nightshade

... is that it's hard to get a totally clean tone at a decent volume. So maybe I have to tote some higher wattage thing just for that? I may have to do the A/B box thing...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok Ted, I'm telling you, I have a Crate Vintage Club 30 and it has one of THE BEST clean tones and one the best cranked tones in a "small wattage tube amp". It doesn't do the inbetween stuff so well but I'm not an inbetween type guy. If you ever get a chance, check out one of those amps. I love em and they're cheap. You can find one on e-bay for $250.00 to $300.00.

I gotta tricked out Gibson Goldtone and a blackface Vibrochamp going here.

Also Ampeg V2 and V4, which are great for clean sounds.

I play with acoustic piano and vibraphone, so being vewy vewy quiet is key. I can't even crank the 6 watt setting of the Goldtone without being way way too loud.

Using the Goldtone (set at 15 watts) and Champ I can get some gorgeous clean sounds quiet, I'm just right at the verge of breaking up. It's great most all the time, but I know if I get to where I gotta turn it up another few dB that sweet clean'll be long gone.

I'm getting very interested in this UniValve thing... How many amps am I going to end up hauling around, however small? Electric guitar is just one of my stage duties, along with percussion and trumpet...

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

That's why I love good solid state stuff, like Fender's. I've never had a problem with getting good tones at low volumes with their SS amps (from th mid 80s on), and the speakers and reverb tanks are as good as more expensive amps, tube or SS.

Can't beat the headphone jacks either...at least I don't have to lug an ungodly amount of gear...maybe someday, if I can buy out NVidia or ATi, and become the CEO :idea:

"High Priestess of the Church of Keith Richards

Member # 6610

posted 08-23-2002 11:54 AM                          

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the tone you want out of your current amps and mic them?"

Always a possibility... but I loathe and fear the PA...

Stay tuned for next week's installment:

How I stopped worrying and learned to love the PA

Archived