Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

U2: the absolute cheapest Gibson ever?

Oscar

http://www.gitaarnet.nl/photos/125/3104.jpg

Offered for sale by a Dutch music store for a mere € 399,- ($ 400,-). Worth it?

Oscar plays a stock Gibson Les Paul with P90's, a stock Epiphone Alleykat (both strung with .011's with a wound G), a Fender HotRod Deluxe, a Fender Frontman 15 Reverb and a Vox ValveTone.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is definitely a real, US-made Gibson. Click here to read what many owners think of it. And most are really enthousiastic about this thing. Here's some info I got from that page:

"The U-2 was made from 1987 to 1992 but it is hard to find one after 1989. They generally are bright red with front and back binding, also sometimes being black with binding. (90% of the earlier ones that I have seen are red). Early models have the blunted Explorer headstock (probably left over from WRC's). Later models such as in 1989 frequently are in solid black without any binding and the neck appears to be a standard Explorer headtsock. Blue or green models are quite a bit rarer. I have only seen one with a post 1989 date. The guitar has three individual pickup switches to turn on each pickup. It has a coil tap in the witch for the humbucker. It also has a master switch. It is hard to determine but it seems that the master switch turns on the bridge pickup only when pushed forward and defers to the other switches when pushed backward. This could be good for lead boosting."

Oscar plays a stock Gibson Les Paul with P90's, a stock Epiphone Alleykat (both strung with .011's with a wound G), a Fender HotRod Deluxe, a Fender Frontman 15 Reverb and a Vox ValveTone.

eeeee...

pretty inexpensive, but (imo) pretty ugly. i'm proof that looks don't matter, though (or that they won't help).

...Early models have the blunted Explorer headstock (probably left over from WRC's). Later models such as in 1989 frequently are in solid black without any binding and the neck appears to be a standard Explorer headtsock.

"blunted explorer headstock"? looks like a Charvel to me. actually, i think WRC's were Charvel-designed Gibsons. why?? :rolleyes:

that floyd rose (?) could be trouble

i was a guitar freak in the late 80's, and i don't remember seeing that thing. i wonder why they tried to copy other brands? and "U2"- i know that U2 was a spyplane, but even by '87 it meant Irish Rockers, eh? the Edge would never play that. when i saw your thread title, i was sure it was a new Gibson model with the U2 name on it, and in that case it would be a natural-finish Explorer with a white pickguard and no trem.

oh, am i rambling?

all that said, if i saw that in a local shop for $400 with case, i might just snag it. could be worth something someday, and i'm sure it's pretty solid (except the trem, i've never trusted FR's). but if you have to ship it and there's no case... well, it's up to you.

That's an awesome guitar. A real US Gibson and well worth the money.

Definitely a shred axe but that's a good thing. The unfortunate hair metal association makes them undervalued.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived