Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass player looking for a guitar......help

Jay J.

I have been playing bass now for 5 years, and other than just messing around with the other guys stuff in my band have never played the guitar much, or really wanted too until now. for some reason I want to get an acoustic guitar. no fancy electric stuff, I don't even really need an acoustic/electric. I just want to get a ok acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend much. if I could spend, around $200 that would be great but not more than $300. I don't know how good I'm gonna be at it. any advice on a good one to buy would be great. I don't know much about this, and people say that cheap guitars are not as playable as cheap basses. thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by signal1000:

Some decent cheap ones are made by the LaSiDo company who has the Art&Lutherie, Simon&Patrick and I believe the Seagull brand guitars. Try a bunch, there is the odd gem in amongst the rest.

have a Art&Lutherie acoustic and i f*ckin love it! The sounds so crisp and deep and it sounded as good as a few $600-$700 Martins and Taks! God i love that guitar!

All i would have to say is that u have to through alot of Art&Lutherie before u find one that has the sound u like, each one i played had a different sound but im proud to say i found the right one!

Art&Lutherie is Godin's lower quality brand-name (like Squire is to Fender) and Godin makes some damn nice guitars i played i think its called a multicoustic and it sounded so awesome on a Fender Classic amp , i only wish i could afford it! ($1,284 can.) well thats my $0.02 :):D:thu:

YtseJam your Majesty!

Find yourself a store with a handful of used axes & play around till you get one you like. I did that in San Francisco a few years back - spent 1/2 the day in there, & played every guitar that was laughingly in my price range - and finally settled on a Yamaha that had real good, full tone & a good feel to the neck. Turned out that it was less than most of the ones I played (it was in the $200 range), and has played nicely for some years now.

I also had good results some years back with an Applause acoustic - budget-line Ovation, with the rounded plastic back. Really not a bad little guitar, & they can often be had for cheap.

Whatever the brand, though - just check it out, compare, & get the one that appeals to you the best. Acoustic instruments are even more subjective to assess than electrics, due to variations in craftsmanship, materials, and where it has/hasn't been.

Tacoma has a newer offering called the Olympia. I guess it is their cheaper version of the higher dollar guitars. I picked one up at a pawn shop and I am thouroughly impressed with the sound and playability. I saw some new Olympia acoustics and they are not very expensive.

people say that cheap guitars are not as playable as

cheap basses.

I actually disagree with this...I'm more of a bass player, I've been playing bass for 5+, mostly messed around with my bandmates' stuff as far as guitar goes, and then I finally broke down and bought my brother's old electric for about $50 a year ago...I've finally graduated to the point where I'm ready for an acoustic, and I'm kind of looking for the same deal as you, I might be willing to spend up to $400 or $500...

Anyway, back to my point, I think bad guitars and bad basses are equally unplayable. So, J-Funk, you probably know what a bad bass feels like; just use your judgment on guitars the same way. And heck, if you want something just to practice on, getting something with poor feel will make you a wizard when you play something good (I'm not recommending this, I'm just saying it's probably the lone unintentional advantage).

Trader!!! I'm going to let the rest of the bass forum know that you're buying a guitar... :D

The best thing to do is play a bunch of guitars that are in your price range and pick one that *YOU* like. It's just like buying any other instrument, you don't/shouldn't buy something because a famous person plays it or because someone else says it's the best. Different guitars, like different basses, have varying neck profiles/feel/etc. Just because one person loves the way a strat plays, doesn't mean you're going to like it.

Go forth, play stuff, piss off the monkeys that work at Guitar Center.

-Brian

(fellow bass player and guitar owner :D )

Archived