Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blues Junior vs the competition - which one?

sgguitarzz

I am interested in the Fender Blues Junior to have a low power tube amp I can use in small clubs. My Boogie Mark IIB is just too loud. I have read mainly good things. I realize I will probably have to change out the tubes and speaker (most of which I may have already).

The competition is the Peavey Classic 30, the new Carvin Vintage 16 & H&K Tube Edition. I cannot afford the Dr Z's of this world right now.

What do you guys think?

Dennis

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had several knowledgeable people push me towards the blues Jr, citing its use by some noteworthy players in similar settings to the one you mentioned, so it comes highly recommended.

I went with the Fender DeVille. It's too loud for intimate gigs. Maybe I should have gotten the Deluxe and split the difference because I still think the Jr. would have been too small for the rooms my band plays.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Keep in mind that most of the other tube amps you mentioned are all Fender copies to some extent. So ask yourself, do you want the real deal or an imitation? I can vouch for the Blues Jr and Hotrod Deluxe. Both are great amps that are built like tanks. So if your going for the Fender "vibe" I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Almost identical when EQ is set flat and run totally clean and the overdrive blows the Fender out of the water. Either way, you'll prolly want a new set of tubes for either amp.

Note: This is just opinion, don't get pissed.

Contrary to popular belief, there are many people who actually prefer an overdriven Fender to the sound of any other overdriven amp. It is the classic blues sound, for sure. That said, it's impossible to compare the Fender Jr's to any of thier other amps. They both use a single EL84 for power, all other Fender tube amps (that I know of) use 6L6's or 6V6's.

Peavey? I own a 15 year old Peavy Bandit that was my main guitar amp. Based on that, I would say that all Peavey amps are of inferior quality.

Carvin? I was in a band that owned a Carvin PA, and it didn't sound as nice as a Cerwin Vega systen that we had played through one time, so Carvin amps surely couldn't sound as good as a Fender.

The last two statements above were parody, and intended only to heckle a previous poster.

I really don't know what to put here.

sgguitarzz:

Given the choice, I would stay clear of the Peavey. They are reasonably good amps and they sound good but are notorious for being difficult to service.

I know one amp tech who absolutely refuses to work on them.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Wickerman,

I wouldn't doubt that the Carvin has a better overdrive than the Fender HRD. But in all honesty, do you think that the Carvin is made as well and will hold up like the Fender? A buddy of mine dropped his HRD down a flight of stairs once and nothing was damaged including the tubes :eek: . Not that I recommend doing so.... BTW, what tubes would you recommend swapping out for this amp? Is it just as plain and simple as installing them, or is there another step I'll need to take into consideration as well?

Originally posted by Dillweed:

Wickerman,

I wouldn't doubt that the Carvin has a better overdrive than the Fender HRD. But in all honesty, do you think that the Carvin is made as well and will hold up like the Fender? A buddy of mine dropped his HRD down a flight of stairs once and nothing was damaged including the tubes :eek: . Not that I recommend doing so.... BTW, what tubes would you recommend swapping out for this amp? Is it just as plain and simple as installing them, or is there another step I'll need to take into consideration as well?

I'm not sure on reliablity. I've never had or heard of any problems with the newer Carvin amps. Tubes: I use Teslas. EL84s and 12AX7s. Inexpensive and sound great.

I have been told the the JJ El-84's are supposed to be the best of the new stock tubes. I would probably use these. I have a bunch of preamp tubes to try both new and NOS including 12ax7's, 12at7's and 5751's. On the Fender I would replace the speaker with a Reverend Alltone 1250.

Dennis

Originally posted by sgguitarzz:

I have been told the the JJ El-84's are supposed to be the best of the new stock tubes. I would probably use these. I have a bunch of preamp tubes to try both new and NOS including 12ax7's, 12at7's and 5751's. On the Fender I would replace the speaker with a Reverend Alltone 1250.

Dennis

I think they sound pretty stinkin' good. (Anything does compared to the Grooves tho) Plus, $20 for a matched pair isn't bad!

I regularly gig with a Blues Jr, and for small clubs its damn near perfect. Yeah it ain't spanky clean, and theres not the most solid bottom.....but this is Rock n Roll, so I think the positives way outweigh the negatives. The amp is hot and feedbacky at volume, and touch sensitive with the right guitar. Responds well with pedals or pedal in my case. Lots of vox/marshall like chime when dialed in right, maybe the perfect slide amp. Can sound downright blackface (not as good as the Pro Jr in my humble opinion), again when dialed in right.

For those who say this is strictly a practice bedroom amp, I say what are you used to playing????? Cause for a club, I can't see getting the "tone" with a large amp, unless preamp distortion is your bag, which is cool. But I prefer cooking with power tubes, and the Blues Jr can make you deaf. I regularly run a Marshall 2X12 cab with mine and get rave reviews from soundmen and fellow musicians alike. For the money I can't see anything close. I bought both my Blues Jr and Pro Jr used for around two bills apiece. This ain't Steely Dan....this is Faces/Stones territory with an attitude!!!!!

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

It seems to be the majority of opinion from those who have actually tried it that this amp works in a live situation as long as either the club/bar is small or you are miked.

I think you gotta go try one, turn it up about halfway and you will see what everybody that has one knows. It ain't the holy grail, but for the $$$ its killer.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

The JJ EL84's are very nice. I also like the NOS Phillips/JAN12AX7WA's for preamp, the break up nice with a bit more clean room.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Archived