Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Guitar Wireless under $500

daddyelmis

I've been using a Shure L4 VHF rig and it's crapping out. So friends and neighbors, what recommendations for a decent wireless rig for guitar for a largely weekend warrior. Not interested in spending $800+ for "touring pro" quality, but would like UHF with range of 150 ft.

Like a good bordeaux, you can spend $125 a bottle and know you'll get good stuff, the trick is finding a good one for $10 a bottle. I'm looking for the good wireless. :D

Thanks for the recommendations!

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands down, the best wireless under $500 is the Evolution wireless systems from Sennheiser. They offer more channel selection, better build, great sound and features, even in the less expensive E100 systems. For guitarists, the beltpack is made of metal!! It's far more robust than anything else out there. (Better build than several wireless systems in the $1000+ price range.) The mute is easily accessible. The power and setting change buttons are protected from accidental change by a rugged sliding plastic door. The base unit is equally rugged, with a large backlit LCD display that can show you signal strength, transmission frequency or preset channel letter, and battery power. 4 preset frequency choices on the 100 series are selectable from 1280 individual frequencies. This baby rocks!

I'd also have to mention the Samson.. is it Airline? It's a pedal shaped receiver with a specially designed transmitter, utilizing one of two designs to fit snuggly to either a strat style output or LP/flush mount output. Otherwise, there is no dangling cable between guitar and transmitter, and for the many guitarists that plug straight from the wireless to a pedal or pedals, it fits neatly into your setup. It worked very well for one of the guitarists in Mink, while we were overseas. I should mention, this was under extreme conditions for wireless, as the bases had nearby radar and other electronic emissions that interfered with our wireless ear monitors. I'm not big on Samson, but this seems to be a good idea that was well done. It doesn't offer the multichannel operation of the Sennheiser, however.

Check them out for yourself before you buy. Happy hunting!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I'd also have to mention the Samson.. is it Airline? It's a pedal shaped receiver with a specially designed transmitter, utilizing one of two designs to fit snuggly to either a strat style output or LP/flush mount output.

I've looked at the Airline, but several users in Harmony Centrals review databased indicated it's noisy, and the guitar plug configuration requires you to buy 2 transmitters if you have a Strat and a LP (as I do). AKG has come out with a similar rig that has a rotating module for the guitar so it fits all.

I've looked at the Evolution series and it does indeed look good. Also looking at Shure "clear scan" UHF models. Thanks for the input.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Archived