Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Commentaries on audio CDs like on movie DVDs

Here in the DC area, we've gotten about a foot of snow and expected to get another foot :rolleyes: , so I've been watching a lot of movies on DVD. Many of them have commentaries from the director and/or actors/actresses as bonus material. This got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if audio CDs also came with commentaries from the producer/engineer/artist or a combination of them? They'd talk about the decisions they made on the album and possibly what gear and techniques used. I've watched commentaries on some of the movies I own and some are very interesting. Then I thought, if someone wanted to get into filming, what a great way to get an insight on making a film. Then I thought, why can't someone do the same thing about making albums? It would be a great learning experience for me to find out what decisions were made and why on making a commercial CD and I'd be surprised if I'm the only one. Similar to my enjoyment to watching the commentaries on DVD and I have no plans on being a filmmaker, even someone who is not into professional audio might find commentaries on albums interesting enough. It's kind of like extended liner notes.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know...that would be dope. I was listening to some Frank Sinatra sessions on the radio last night (1210AM as the hometown Philly boys here know), and just the general "behind the scenes" talk during the recording was very cool. I'm just the type that loves this kind of stuff. I, too, enjoy the DVD commentaries, even the ones with the actors. There are some cool tidbits that you could hear. For instance, in reading an interview with Jimmy Douglass he cited a session with Timbaland where they were doing a dump (I suppose of the sequenced tracks). Well, kinda losing track of what was going on (they were apparently jaw jabbering), Timbaland casually ran his fingers across the keyboard...'causing the sequence to sound a string hit and drop for a split second. Timbaland obviously said that they should do it over, but Jimmy basically said, "eh, it's no biggie"...and it got released as is. Until I read that, I paid it no attention. But now it sticks out like a sore thumb. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

[quote]Originally posted by Rim: [b]Here in the DC area, we've gotten about a foot of snow and expected to get another foot :rolleyes: , so I've been watching a lot of movies on DVD. Many of them have commentaries from the director and/or actors/actresses as bonus material. This got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if audio CDs also came with commentaries from the producer/engineer/artist or a combination of them? They'd talk about the decisions they made on the album and possibly what gear and techniques used. I've watched commentaries on some of the movies I own and some are very interesting. Then I thought, if someone wanted to get into filming, what a great way to get an insight on making a film. Then I thought, why can't someone do the same thing about making albums? It would be a great learning experience for me to find out what decisions were made and why on making a commercial CD and I'd be surprised if I'm the only one. Similar to my enjoyment to watching the commentaries on DVD and I have no plans on being a filmmaker, even someone who is not into professional audio might find commentaries on albums interesting enough. It's kind of like extended liner notes.[/b][/quote]That would be an excellent idea.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

[quote]Originally posted by aliengroover: [b] There are some cool tidbits that you could hear. For instance, in reading an interview with Jimmy Douglass he cited a session with Timbaland where they were doing a dump (I suppose of the sequenced tracks). Well, kinda losing track of what was going on (they were apparently jaw jabbering), Timbaland casually ran his fingers across the keyboard...'causing the sequence to sound a string hit and drop for a split second. Timbaland obviously said that they should do it over, but Jimmy basically said, "eh, it's no biggie"...and it got released as is. Until I read that, I paid it no attention. But now it sticks out like a sore thumb. Peace[/b][/quote]Could you tell us what song that is? Just curious.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

A big yes to that, Rim! Think of how cool it would be if we could listen to a tape of some Beatles session in which Ringo casually remarks they spent, "a hard day's night," recording. Linking the music and the behind the scenes would be wonderful. It would also give A forum for the bands, artists, producers and engineers to discuss the creative and technical aspects of the recording, as well as the gear itself, in their own words. I've heard interviews that touch on these topics, but inevitably, you run out of time, etc. I'm all for it.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Who knows, it may warrant folks to buy CDs again. I know we've talked about added features on audio CDs may help boost sales and possibly lower the effects of illegal music downloads. This could be one of those features. OK, you big wigs out there. Snap to it! :)

aka riffing

An excellent idea, and I think it's already happening. The new Rush "Greatest Hits" has a four-song DVD of live footage included, supposedly to give CD buyers and incentive to not just download the album, and I recall other recent CDs doing the same; video interviews would be just one more carrot to dangle before the potential CD buyer. If you're not familiar with VH-1's series "Behind the Music" for classic albums, they do kinda the same thing. I have one on DVD involving Steely Dan discussing the making of Aja, my all-time favorite album, and its extremely enjoyable and informative. :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

We're really talking about CD Extra format, right? I don't know why it is a small portion of releases. Maybe the labels think it is better to spend the money on a music video for TV exposure that gets folks to buy the CD. Why put extras on the CD if it is going to be purchased anyway? (I'm just thinking from that perspective for now) I'm going to be offering it as part of artist demo packages. But I'd still be including printed bios and pics the labels and stations can review while the CD is playing its audio. The song only has a few seconds at those audition sessions before they're saying "next!" I think this link is an excellent use of CD Extra that would be of value to a musician, not just a fan. [b]"The CD-Extra features a collection of eclectic standards that have been modified by Peter Ballin with altered changes giving them a new and modern twist. It is fully CD-Audio compatible and includes 128 special jazz improvisation computer files for students and aficionados of this wonderful American art form. These files include Peter Ballin's transcribed saxophone solos, MIDI files, altered chord changes to all 11 audio tracks, and lessons in jazz improvisation for aspiring jazz improvisers."[/b] [url=http://members.aol.com/ponytailcd/]Peter Ballin, Ponytail Records[/url]
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

The only experience with CD-Extra I have are from some Billy Joel CDs. The extra features are cool but I needed a computer to access them. Not everyone has a computer and in the same vein, not everyone has a DVD player. I think including commentaries on a regular CD would allow the most accessibility. Don't most (single disc) albums still clock under 60 minutes? That should leave about 15 minutes for the commentaries. Heck, some movies on DVDs have an extra disc just for the bonus features and I don't see why an audio CD couldn't do the same if there were that much more bonus stuff. I mean they could also add alternate takes of songs, bloopers, control room banter, etc., along with commentaries as bonus features. This stuff should already be "in the can" so not much work need to be done on them.

aka riffing

On the latest Foo Fighters cd, there is a bonus DVD in the back with band footage, videos, etc.. It's not commentary like you are talking about, but it makes the purchase price a little more worth it... can't say that much for Audioslave disc :rolleyes:

The Brown Noise is believed to be ninety-two cents

below the lowest octave of E flat..

Archived