Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gibson SG

Marso

Hey, my girlfriend bought me a Gibson SG for my birthday (got it sooner though, I'm only may 29), an old one: brown (not the best color but hey...) with black mini humbuckers and a Bigsby. Its serial is 741541. Have any idea about the year?? What is the trick to know for that?

In addition, I know some people were asking about SG's...well...I've tried it with a Mesa Boogie Coliseum MKlll and a 2x12 Marshall cabinet loaded with celestion 75 watts (they were selling these with their Mosfet series) and the sound is: "Oh my dear god I don't believe it I think I'm gonna die from a heart attack" type o sound! It sound so great I just can't believe it, really. I've compare it with a strat (80's) with seymour duncan singles and a J Beck and a PRS custom and let me tell ya, this one kills!! When you roll back the volume a bit, something magic happens even more, I does'nt loose clarity nor definition it just sings and sings. I'm very impressed (can you tell!) The only thing (apart from the hideous color) is that the treble position is a bit too bright to my taste but as soon as I roll back the vol or just the tone...wow. Thought I'd share.

Thanks. :love::love::D:D:thu::thu:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your GIRLFRIEND bought you a GIBSON SG??

MAN! I wish my girlfriend did that! :D If I were you I'd treat her with all the tender loving care she ever desires.

:)

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Ahem...

As a former Cust. Service Rep for Gibson, I can state with some authority that you will only be able to date this instrument within a few years. Your best bet is to call Gibson Customer Service. They use a variety of reference material to approximate the dates based on serial number and model/features of the guitar.

An SG with minibuckers? I believe that, given the 6 digit serial number, you're looking at an early 1970's instrument. If "Made In USA" is stamped on the back of the headstock, it's probably a 1970-2 guitar. (Based on the 700000's serial number.) The minibuckers were highjacked from Epiphone when Norlin took over.

Does this instrument have a volute on the back of the neck? (A volute is a sharp edged connection between neck and headstock. Norlin added this feature to combat neck breakage, due in part to cutting corners on wood quality. Norlin bought Gibson in 1970 and the volute appeared that year, if I remember correctly.)

Make the call to Gibson Customer Support. It's free, they're knowledgable. If the information is unavailable or imprecise, don't be surprised. No records of the Norlin years survive in Gibson's archives. The info on these years has been amassed by several noted sources.

Another idea would be to check out (George) Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars. This book has a lot of information on features, serial number coding, and styles/models of Gibson instruments, as well as Fender, Epiphone, Guild and others.

Happy Hunting!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hi, Marso,

I was quite surprised to see your comparisons of SG with different guitars. The funny thing was that last week a lot of different people did just the same on one of Russian guitar forums - they compared Gibson SG and Fender Strat guitars. You couldn't believe, but it was true! :D

And you know what? In most points SG gradually won the competition! :thu:

Well, Nollykin, when we were younger and desperate for money she kinda made me sell my SG (early70'S) to pay the rent. She did'nt exactly ask me to do it but that's what happen. (I guess I made her feel guilty enough hihihi)

Fantasticsound, thank you for your inputs, I went on Gibson's site but never located this specific instrument. The closer I got was SG's with P-90s, soapbars or single coils. I quite sure this model has mini humbuckers, they're about 3/16" thinner than a regular humbucker...same rectangular shape.

And yes there is a Made in USA on the back of the headstock as well as what you describe as a volute.

The neck is very thin and did'nt break by the way.

Mad Russian, I've compare the SG with those other guitars 'cause that was what I had handy. I also own an Epiphone Lucille and will compare those two as well but up to now, the Strat (9 sounds, written The Strat on the headstock) and the SG are a tie for their own specific characteristics.

Fantastic sound, I've played for a Gibson convention's party up here in Quebec about 4 years ago I think (at a resort called Gray Rocks) were you there??

Originally posted by Marso:

...Fantasticsound, thank you for your inputs, I went on Gibson's site but never located this specific instrument. The closer I got was SG's with P-90s, soapbars or single coils. I quite sure this model has mini humbuckers, they're about 3/16" thinner than a regular humbucker...same rectangular shape.

And yes there is a Made in USA on the back of the headstock as well as what you describe as a volute.

The neck is very thin and did'nt break by the way....

Most definately a 1970-72 model, if the serial number guides are correct. Norlin pulled the minibuckers from Epi to Gibson for the Les Paul Deluxe, their first contribution to the plethora of model names for various LP's. I'm sure they did the same for the SG. Most of the surviving instruments from the early 1970's are just that.. the better quality necks that stood the test of time.

The volute adds wood at the weakest point, making it stronger, but they could have prevented this problem by being pickier with wood stock for necks, from everything I've read and heard.

Email Gibson customer support with some decent pics of the guitar's face, headstock, and any other features of note, plus the description or pic of the serial number and "Made In USA" and they'll research it for you.

...Fantastic sound, I've played for a Gibson convention's party up here in Quebec about 4 years ago I think (at a resort called Gray Rocks) were you there??
Only worked for them last fall.. so no, I wouldn't have been there. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

hahaha that makes sense I guess :)

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Archived