Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FREE! Blues you can use!

dturner

I took the bait!

Many, Many thanks to franknputer for hosting my attempt.

I passed it about 10 times, and kept the last one.

It was played on a Charvell, into a J station, through a Summit TPA-200B pre into a Fairlight.

I thought about comping together the best bits of a bunch of takes, but this one says enough.

http://franknputer.complexero.com/music/Spigotblues.mp3

Frank

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that was some ass-kickin' stuff there!! Great tone, great lines, great attitude. Just very Hot!!! Loved the way you played along with the organ solo, answering, paraphrasing... I'm definitely checking out your mp3 site.

Paul

Spigot Frank....

Wow!!!! That is some GREAT playing! Thanks for putting up the tune!!! I especially loved your use of silence in between phrases, and also the way you played around the Hammond solos. Could you describe how you played the fast trill during the Hammond solo at around 1:45 into the song?

[Dennis rubs his hands together maniacally... "MMMMWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.... me plan to steal the best licks in the land is working just as I knew it would"]

Oh shit... did I write that, or just think it?

Dennis

through a Summit TPA-200B pre into a Fairlight.

Frank[/QB]

Fairlight? Damm! is that in your own studio? My band did hours of mixing on a Fairlight. It was in a top of the line Studio in San Francisco.

Very cool!

I just got my head phones and checked out your mp3's, You are a talent my man and your work

should be picked up! Superglue was bad ass! Great

job on the mix. What do you use for drums? How about a little background about you and your setup. Thanks for sharing..Tom

posted 05-20-2002 09:58 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by dturner:

Spigot Frank....

Could you describe how you played the fast trill during the Hammond solo at around 1:45 into the song?

Dennis

Thanks for the compliments. It was fun to do. I think the part you're talking about is an Eddie trick, where you mute the strings with the back of your right hand, and hammer-on/pull-off on one string, usually the g string, at the 5th and 3rd frets.

That would make it C-A#-G. Start slow and work at building it up fast. Another thing Eddie did alot was to run his right hand up and down the strings in between the bridge and fret board while doing this kind of hammer on stuff, creating a series of constantly changing harmonics. He did that alot on VH II.

And, Wow, what a GREAT track to play against. The B-3 stuff and the groove are fantastic.

Have a great week,

Frank

Originally posted by UncleTom:

through a Summit TPA-200B pre into a Fairlight.

Frank

Fairlight? Damm! is that in your own studio? My band did hours of mixing on a Fairlight. It was in a top of the line Studio in San Francisco.

Very cool!

I just got my head phones and checked out your mp3's, You are a talent my man and your work

should be picked up! Superglue was bad ass! Great

job on the mix. What do you use for drums? How about a little background about you and your setup. Thanks for sharing..Tom[/QB]

Tom,

Thank's for the kind words. I'm fortunate enough to work in audio full time. The room I run happens to have a Fairlight in it.

I've been playing guitar for 26 yrs. When it became obvious that I wasn't going to be full-time rock star :) I started engineering. I've worked in Post Production for 11 years now.

My set up for all the tunes on the mp3 site was Digital Performer for MIDI and Pro Tools for tracking/Mixing. My current set up is Sonar for MIDI and the fairlight for tracking/Mixing through a Mackie D8B.

I have pretty much always combined looped drums with sequenced drums. I will often use a layer of loops with different frequencies eq'd for emphasis, and then put down a reinforcement of MIDI samples on top. Sometimes (like on Superglue) I will also play the snare live, (if I can borrow one) and layer that in.

Thanks again,

Frank

Thanks y'all. Really neat stuff.

First, thanks Dennis for posting this thread in the first place. You are all making me want to get into a little jammin' real soon.

I played bass for a long time and Dennis' tune just reminded me of what it used to be like to just lay down a groove and wallow in it like a pig. You cats probably all need a shower cuz you're all so nasty wit' them dirty blues.

Keep on with it!

Raffles

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

OK, here's the dealeo ...

Geocities won't let you post Mp3's, so I changed the file name to a .txt, so you'll have to d/l, then change the file name to .mp3.

Sorry for the song and dance:

http://www.geocities.com/sylver264j

And right click on the white link. Choose save as trueblue_sylver.txt, and change the extension to .mp3.

That's way too much work, isn't it?

Maybe I should change it to a wave file?

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by pauldil:

Hey Sylver, you've got a nice touch. Some good things going on in your solo. I also liked the tone you got. What did you use to record this?

Paul

Thanks, man. I used my main baby, a '98 MIA Strat into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, the more drive "channel" with the drive turned down to about 2, and the master cranked to about 5-6. My mic pre is a cheapo one, so the sound you're hearing is a little buzzier than if you were standing in front of the amp. The only effect is amp and room reverb. During the second break the amp and room reverbs slap into each other and give me a couple of seconds of natural delay. That was a pretty cool serendipity.

I used 11's and I usually keep the Strat tuned down a half step. I found that I choaked off a few notes here and there becuaase I'm not quite used to the tension.

Originally posted by Sylver:

Thanks Dak! Hey, are you gonna do some slide stuff for us?

No, no poop on of any color.

Believe it or not, I am trying to work something up. Being a back porch kinda guy, it's gonna be different but it's still a ways away.

In the mean time, I'm loving the different takes on the tune & I'm bettin' Dennis is creamin' all over the place. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Sylver...Thats from a fave sci-fi: "The Thing" one of Kurt Russel's better roles.SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Originally posted by SEHpicker:

Sylver...Thats from a fave sci-fi: "The Thing" one of Kurt Russel's better roles.SEHpicker

Yep. Just picked it up on DVD, lot's of extra stuff. I haven't even gotten through it all yet!

• 3 weeks later...

Very simply, AWESOME !!

You've certainly made me reconsider my talent (or lack thereof).

I certainly hope you catch a break and get the recognition you deserve.

Another fan, Dave. :thu:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Wow! All of you guys sound great.

I just dusted off my old classical (had to sell my strat a few years ago, not a happy story but I still love the ole classical).

Anyways, this thread encouraged me to pick it up again. I've been playing since I was about 10 (off and on) and just bought a piano. I'm ready to back back into what truely gives me joy, Music!

Thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT: BTW Dennis, I dig 'The Old Castle' (got tab/notation on that one?) and 'Ocean Lover'I myself have been doing some beach hopping over the years (Belize, Hawaii, Fiji, Balearic iles etc.. etc..) and plan to continue the quest :) Love that sound.

Originally posted by Ripped Glutes:

Wow! All of you guys sound great.

I just dusted off my old classical (had to sell my strat a few years ago, not a happy story but I still love the ole classical).

Anyways, this thread encouraged me to pick it up again. I've been playing since I was about 10 (off and on) and just bought a piano. I'm ready to back back into what truely gives me joy, Music!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Well, you know, that's what we're here for.

In all seriousness, I'm personally glad that any thread on this forum helped you pick up the music again. We're the most diversified bunch of yahoos that ever got together & generally get along. There are some awesome experts in various applications and musical styles. You'll have a chance to learn more than you ever thought possible. You'll also have a chance to impart any wisdom you've accrued over the years.

Put up with out assinine inanities & you'll find this is the best forum you could have found.

Welcome to the club.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Thanks for the Welcome Dak!

I've been trolling these boards all day and it looks like a great community. Nothing but good things to say to each other.

As opposed to the gaming boards where everyone flames the S#$% out of each other.

Nice change of pace and invaluable info.

Consider me a regular :)

Archived