Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FREE! Blues you can use!

dturner

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I jump in on this.

It's been a long time since i had the oppurtunity to play some blues.

I was so into blues about 8 years ago.

But i haven't even been playing guitar for about a year now.I haven't quit, i'm just learning about some other stuff.

Because my confidence is way down i decided to stay clear of the tougher changes for now and just looped the intro (i hope that's ok with the composer)

Here are 4 takes of that. here

If you havent' been playing for a year, it really doesn't show. That was excellent, man!! I especially liked the second take. I'd love to hear you play the thing straight through. Great job :cool::cool::cool:

Paul

Hi Halljams!

Of course I don't mind if you just want to play over the intro... no rules... just do whatever feels right. I am downloading your piece now... it is trickling in at 56K [i want my broadband!!!!!!] and will post again in a bit.

What other stuff are you learning? Until about a year ago, I was not playing much guitar at all... and then got back into it with a vengance, learning new styles and doing my best to play a little at least every day. I picked up a few junkers just so I could have a guitar nearby in the house [where it stays with the little ones and St. Bernards - yikes]

Thanks for posting... and yes, d'funk will be coming soon. I have been downloading James Brown tunes and soaking up his vibe, and also "harvesting" his tradmark vocal bits.

Dennis

Hey Halljams!!!!

Whoa... that is some great playing. I dug all of it, and I especially liked the two note stuttering bits in the second round. I also dug the pull offs to open notes. And remember the old saying "bad musicians borrow, good musicians steal... so I hope you don't mind if I... well.. you know.

And I second Paul's thought... PLEASE lay down a lead over the whole track if you'd like... the chord chart is layed out earlier in the thread.

Dennis

w8less, good job, man! You rocked on the section right after the organ solo.

halljams, cool stuff! I like #3 the best, both the playing AND the guitar sound.

OK, I had a gig Sat. so I brought my usual rig (Les Paul, ADA amp, Korg AX1G?, Morley Wah) home and tried again. This time, I had the chord progression in front of me. Unfortunately, I still lost my place! :P

Get it here . The new file is called trueblue-riffing2.mp3 and it's 5.8 MB.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Originally posted by dturner:

Hey Halljams!!!!

I especially liked the two note stuttering bits in the second round.

Dennis

Yes, very, very tasty Stuff HJ! Man, you threw in Pinch harmonics all over da place. What guitar were you using? One with a humbucker, I'm betting.
I really don't know what to put here.

Hi everyone.

thanks for the friendly comments.

i will try to do full track sometime in the next bit but i am doing a big move as of tommorrow so I may not get a chance for a couple weeks.(plus my fingers hurt like hell today!)

I play a tele with custom wound pick ups through a line 6.

I'm checking out all the other downloads here now.

Faerin. Cool clean sound man. That's brave IMO to do a solo that long with that clean of a sound. Good stuff. Nice style.

Paul. sooo cool. You likeada BB king uhhh?

neat guitar sound.

hey did you play the other solos too. your time really sits in there well. Nice variety of lines goin on.

TB. Nice playin. Big fat sound. is it a strat. sounds like a super FAT strat.That last round kikead ass! i really dig the approach to the 5chord on your last chorus, very tasty.

Dturner. uhm, why ya gotta make us feel so bad!LoL

Boy you got yr playin together man. very controlled. great lines, nice tone, no, GREAT tone!,great time, wow.

i really enjoy your playing.

i'm gonna do another attempt and i hope YOU don't mind if i steal all your licks!

Your playing reminds me of a guy i went to college with. he played so great all the time, touched the guitar the same way you do.

I have put the guitar down for a while to learn about recording BTW. i'm still making music but i'm singing and playing bass and keys and writing where i used to spend time on my guitar.

i want to get back to it soon though. there is so much great stuff to do yet.

hope i didn't miss anyone. i'll get out of this post and go check.

cool thread!

Riffin.....

Hey it was neat to hear the 2 versions.

it sounds like you ate a couple power bars a 1/2 hour before the 2nd one, great energy.

i like certain things about both.

Keep goin with this style man,it sounds to me like you are right on the edge of breaking through to a new plateau.

This thread is great. we can all learn things from each others takes. i sure have.

everytime i listen to my self, i puke, and then get better somehow. :freak:

Thanks, halljams! I was in a blues band for a year but we stuck mainly with I-IV-V 12-bar blues so this was challenging to me.

OK, I know Tedster said he was working on his. Anyone else?

I repeat. Very cool idea for a thread. Is the funk coming, Dennis? I'm not sure I've even played funk guitar but I'll give it a shot.

aka riffing

Originally posted by riffing:

Thanks, halljams! I was in a blues band for a year but we stuck mainly with I-IV-V 12-bar blues so this was challenging to me.

OK, I know Tedster said he was working on his. Anyone else?

I repeat. Very cool idea for a thread. Is the funk coming, Dennis? I'm not sure I've even played funk guitar but I'll give it a shot.

I'm gonna take a shot too, but my internet cable modem router is down, so I can't get the file out to the studio. I should be picking one up this weekend.
I really don't know what to put here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am downloading your piece now... it is trickling in at 56K [i want my broadband!!!!!!]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dennis, it only took about a minute to download with my DSL

Paul

--------------------------------------------------

Ok Paul... you wanna play rough do you? Well alrighty-then.

I hereby invoke THIS audio amulet [88K] to counteract your sarcastic and pompous suggestion.

[i am now playing amulet here... striking top of monitor with wandlike instrument and saying incantation along with audio amulet]

So there!!!!

Heehee.

Dennis

Well, I found out when you plug a Mustang into a Rat and record it with an onboard sound chip. Lots of attitude, no feel or finesse though.

Smoothed it out a little with Freeverb, then found out my ISP doesn't allow MP3 links. So bear with me here, I had to get kinda tricky. I put a .txt extension on it, so it'll try and open in notepad. If you download it, you'll need to do this:

Right-click and select "open with". Choose Winamp or whatever you use for MP3's.

Sorry to make it hard on you guys, I'll try to get my pc and real rig together and upload something better to an FTP somewhere. Until then, here ya go . :rolleyes:

Originally posted by halljams:

You likeada BB king uhhh?

neat guitar sound.

hey did you play the other solos too.

Thanks, halljams! I played all of the solos. The synth stuff was done on my 335 with a GK-2A pickup going through a Roland GR-30 guitar synth.

riffing, your 2nd take was really cool, man! I liked the wah wah stuff you threw in there. And I see what halljams meant about the energy bars. Great job! :thu:

Cadillac_Jack, that was excellent! Very tasty. I liked the way you came in really quiet after the organ solo, then built it up from there. :cool:

Let's keep 'em coming!

Paul

Thanks a million guys, not just for the kind comments but for making the extra effort involved with opening that file. I was hoping I explained it right, glad it worked for you.

For just a Rat plugged straight in, it did come out better than it had any right to. I haven't played regularly since '98, damn my fingers are sore today. :P

Oh Paul, the quiet part was just what happens when I switch from the Gibson HB at the bridge to the old Duncan SC neck pickup. The '66 Mustang I have is a real mongrel, it stayed on 10. :)

This really is a great thread, everyone's doing an excellent job in their own way. I can't wait to hear more myself. Thanks again and keep it up, folks!

Jack

Hello All,

Thanks again to everyone for adding your solo to the backing track. I am downloading yours right now Cadillac Jack... can't wait to hear it.

The funk backing track is coming together, but will be a week or two till I have time to get it finished [Good Gawd!]. So... here is a thought for the short term... if anyone is interested in adding a lead part to "Fever" or "Oceanlover" [you can download these tunes HERE ] I will mute the lead parts and post up the backing tracks and start new threads for these tunes. "Fever" is pretty straightforward, and "Ocean Lover" is a bit more of challenge given the rather odd chord changes. By the way, the main melody and first few solos on "Ocean Lover" were played on an Epiphone Chet Atkins nylon string electric solidbody which I bought new via mail order for only $200.... and it is an outstanding guitar for the money.... very nice tone.

So give a listen and let me know...

Best Regards,

Dennis

Matt, Steve, Riffing, you guys sound great,a lot of good feeling in there! Halljams I could not

down load yours. I'm trying to find the time to get mine done and up. Work is killin me... I hope to get it done soon.

Dinnis, Fever was cool,once again nice tone!

What cheap ass guitar did you use on that one!

I'M JUST KIDDING! :D The sound is in your hands!

"Ocean Lover" would not come up?

Hello All,

Thanks again to everyone for adding your solo to the backing track. I am downloading yours right now Cadillac Jack... can't wait to hear it.

The funk backing track is coming together, but will be a week or two till I have time to get it finished [Good Gawd!]. So... here is a thought for the short term... if anyone is interested in adding a lead part to "Fever" or "Oceanlover" [you can download these tunes HERE ] I will mute the lead parts and post up the backing tracks and start new threads for these tunes. "Fever" is pretty straightforward, and "Ocean Lover" is a bit more of challenge given the rather odd chord changes. By the way, the main melody and first few solos on "Ocean Lover" were played on an Epiphone Chet Atkins nylon string electric solidbody which I bought new via mail order for only $200.... and it is an outstanding guitar for the money.... very nice tone.

So give a listen and let me know...

Best Regards,

Dennis

1-2 weeks isn't long to wait for the funk, IMO. Besides it'll give the folks at the SSS forum time to put up their wares! Looks like you got some bites there!

aka riffing

Thanks for the heads up... I fixed the "Ocean Lover" link and all seems well now.

Paul... I will put up an mp3 and new thread for Fever pretty soon. I'd like to hear your take on this one. By the way, did you know that Elvis did a version of "Fever". And yes... it is horrible. ...my first listen was one of those moments when you dearly wish you had never heard it because it will always be stuck in your head, assailing your peace of mind.... like that time my obese brother-in-law showed me the new mirrored ceiling he had put over the bed he shared with his obese wife.... Oh... what those mirrors have seen..... a vision that still haunts me relentlessly :eek: [hey... I have to try my material out somewhere!]

But I digress...

Check out Ocean Lover HERE and let me know what you think. If nothing else, it is a great practice song due to the chord changes. I found it to be so anyway.

Dennis

... like that time my obese brother-in-law showed me the new mirrored ceiling he had put over the bed he shared with his obese wife.... Oh... what those mirrors have seen..... a vision that still haunts me relentlessly

Hey Dennis, that's just TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!! :eek::eek::D

I remembered that I had actually downloaded "Ocean Lover" a while ago (from our Johnny Smith topic). Just gave it another listen, and I think that would be a great one to do as well. You do some really cool things on it, like that little harmonized diminished thingy around 1:32. My only concern is with the size of the file (just over 9MB). I had trouble uploading a 5MB file, so that part could be tricky unless you could reduce the size a bit. Otherwise, your're right about it being a good challange and I'd love to try it.

Paul

Uncle Tom said:

Dinnis, Fever was cool,once again nice tone!

What cheap ass guitar did you use on that one!

Hey man... don't ye make fun'o me guitars or else....

THIS [16K]

Dennis :P

Originally posted by pauldil:

Dennis, I can't get to "Ocean Lover" either. "Fever" sounds WAY cool though. You've got the magic touch! :thu: Can we get the backing track?

Paul

I agree, glad you fixed the link for "Ocean Lover" but I need the grandson to take a nap before I can hear it. "Fever" was way cool, I'm gonna send the link to my old singer; she's a huge Peggy Lee fan.

At the risk of total agreement, I've gotta go along with Riffing on the fact that 2 weeks isn't too long to wait. Nothing worse than a rushed project, if you were able to open my take on your Mac you'll see what I mean. ;)

If you weren't able to open it, let me know and I'll email it to you. At 5.6MB, it might be easier to change the file extension though...

Thanks again for all of your efforts Dennis.

Jack

Archived