Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FREE! Blues you can use!

dturner

Hey Riffing, great job!! :thu::cool: Really liked your tone! Thanks for going first, too! I hope to contribute eventually...maybe I'll get some time this weekend to record something over Dennis' track.

Paul

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question...

What IS the correct method for downloading a file directly to the hard drive [and not into the browser] in Windows? I am a mac user, and I have had more than one email regarding the correct way to bring a file directly to the hard drive.

Thanks...

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I don't know if it's the same on macs, but on PCs, you just right-click on the link and select "Save target as...". (That's assuming the link is directly to the mp3 file).

Paul

Oh heck, I guess I didn't really answer Uncle Tom's question. DUH!

OK, downloading the MP3 file to your computer depends on your Internet browser.

For Internet Explorer, right-click on the "BACKING TRACK" link on the first post and then left-click (normal click) on "Save Target As". This will bring up a browse window to allow you to save the file to somewhere on you machine, like your C: drive.

I don't use Netscape but it has something similar.

pauldil, Thanks for the kind remarks.

See people? They've been very nice to my attempt (too nice, IMO :) ) and I'm sure they will be very nice to yours as well.

Unless I've been sucked in a "Candid Camera" moment and all of you are behind a one-way glass laughing your asses off! OK, I'm keeping an eye out for Allen Funt! :D:P

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Originally posted by riffing:

Unless I've been sucked in a "Candid Camera" moment and all of you are behind a one-way glass laughing your asses off! OK, I'm keeping an eye out for Allen Funt! :D:P

Hey Riffing,

Speaking of conspiracies, your candid camera remark reminded me of a really funny bit I saw many years ago. I think it was on TVs Bloopers & Practical Joke. Comedian/trumpeter Pete Barbutti had been secretly giving trumpet lessons to this woman for about a year. The womans husband knew nothing about it. For his birthday, she took him to the club where Barbutti was performing. Barbutti had filled the whole audience with trumpet players. During his act, he tells a story about his magical trumpet and how if you really, REALLY believe in it, you could play a tune on it, even if youve never played before. So, he starts passing the trumpet around the room, and of course, everyone there plays it. It eventually gets to the mans wife, and she plays it! The husbands eyes almost pop out, because he knows she doesnt play. Then she hands it to him, and naturally, he cant even get a sound out, and everyone is getting on his case about how he must not really believe. I just thought it was a great practical joke :D !

Paul

Man I'm hellbent on geting this done! Question...

do I need Sound Forge (5.0)to open and to burn this to my CD burner in my harddrive? My real player would not let me change it to a mp3 so I got rid of it. Now I have it on my C drive in mp3

form and don't know how to record it on my CD burner in my hard drive.

I have a computer in my music room with Cubase 5.0

and a I want to load the tracks in that program.

Still trying........Thanks...UT

Uncle Tom,

You can convert an mp3 to a wav file by using a program such as CDex, which you can get for free HERE . Once you have it in wav form, you should be able to work with it. It will also convert from wav back to mp3.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing your stuff!

Paul

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing your stuff!

Paul[/qb]

Thanks....I will try it!

Update:

Man I'm not geting this program at all....I could not get to my files from that program :confused: ....I am going to get Sound Forge® XP Studio 5.0 Looks like

a good program... :D Thanks anyway! UT :cool:

Originally posted by UncleTom:

Update:

Man I'm not geting this program at all....I could not get to my files from that program :confused: ....I am going to get Sound Forge® XP Studio 5.0 Looks like

a good program... :D Thanks anyway! UT :cool:

You don't necessarily need Sound Forge (although it is a great program) but you do need something that can convert between MP3 and WAV. You may also want to check out Cool Edit 2000 which is cheaper but you can't go wrong with Sound Forge.

aka riffing

Hi Uncle Tom,

Being a mac user, I cannot suggest the best software for you to use, but first let me make sure I understand the problem.

You have downloaded the mp3 file and have it stored on your hard drive on your internet connected computer. And you need to be able to transfer it to a CD in a Cubase compatible format so you can load it onto your music computer... correct so far?

Ok... does Cubase allow you to load mp3 files directly as an audio track? If so, can you burn the mp3 onto a CD and then load it into Cubase... and if not I assume Cubase will load .aiff and .wav files, so finding a way to convert it will be necessary. I am not familiar with the programs that have been recommended so far, but I will just betcha you can download what you need at www.download.com which offers free and shareware programs for all kinds of applications. Look for one that specifically says it will convert mp3 files to aiff or wav, then burn the converted file onto a CD for transfer to your music computer. In any event, assuming you find a way to get the backing tracks into Cubase and add a solo track, and create a wav or aiff master, you will then need to convert it back to mp3 so you can upload it from your internet computer so we can hear it. Forgive me if I am preaching to the converted but solving any problem first requires understanding the problem, and I am always interested in learning more about the PC based software...et al. So tell me if I have at least layed out a strategic plan that makes sense...

Dennis

Man I'm not geting this program at all....I could not get to my files from that program

On the toolbar at the top (where it has File,Edit,Convert, etc), select the "Convert" option. Once that menu drops down, select "MPEG -> WAV". That will open a pop-up screen where you can point to your file.

Good luck,

Paul

Originally posted by dturner:

[QB]Hi Uncle Tom,

You have downloaded the mp3 file and have it stored on your hard drive on your internet connected computer. And you need to be able to transfer it to a CD in a Cubase compatible format so you can load it onto your music computer... correct so far?

YES.... :)

Ok... does Cubase allow you to load mp3 files directly as an audio track?

YES.......... :D

assuming you find a way to get the backing tracks into Cubase and add a solo track, and create a wav or aiff master, you will then need to convert it back to mp3 so you can upload it from your internet computer so we can hear it.

Forgive me if I am preaching to the converted but solving any problem first requires understanding the problem,

I'M WITH YA' :cool:

and I am always interested in learning more about the PC based software...et al. So tell me if I have at least layed out a strategic plan that makes sense...

Absolutely Bro....

Thanks for the info I haven't used my Cubase program for over a year and looking at the

book it imports audio files directly into the arrangement using the "import audio file" So its

back to work! Thanks Dennis!

Well, I've got my version of "True Blues" ready to go, but now I can't seem to upload my file anywhere :confused: . It's an mp3, 5.6MB in size. I've tried Goecities, but that has a limit of 5MB for it to upload. AOL has a limit of 4MB total space . Any suggestions as to how I can get the file on this post? I suppose I could put it on mp3.com, but they take a long time to approve things :rolleyes: .

Thanks,

Paul

Great job, Dennis. I'm glad you set the bar pretty high, should bring out the best from the blues dudes here. I'm gonna try and give it a shot, but my rig's across town at rehearsal so I'll have to figure something out...

I don't know where most folks can upload a file of this size, if I get something together I'll have to call a favor from the site I write news for. If anyone does know, I'm sure it will help all to find out.

Oh btw, I'm new here so I guess introductions are in order. I'm Jack, been gigging in the Orlando area since '74. Pleasure to meet y'all. :wave:

welcome CJ, looking forward to hearing Ya'...

"I don't know where most folks can upload a file of this size, if I get something together I'll have to call a favor from the site I write news for. If anyone does know, I'm sure it will help all to find out"

I'm just trying to get to first base! :freak:

Hey Cadillac Jack... I dig your handle by the way. YES... please put something together and post it! I would love to hear it.

And Paul, any luck finding a place to host your file? Would you be able to run it thru a compression program to get it below 5 MB?...maybe .zip or .sit. I am DYING to hear your version. So if nothing else, you can email it to me and I can post it on my server...unless of course it makes my version look bad.. than I will claim it never arrived [did I write that or just think it?] :P

And Uncle Tom... speaking of first base... here is something you all might enjoy -- Abbott and Costello's riffing and jamming Who\'s On First routine. This is one of those timeless works of art.

By the way, this weekend I am working on a tune inspired by a trip to Bermuda a few years back. When we got off the plane, there was a calypso type acoustic group playing... steel drums and the like... sounds like fun.... and the best part is not knowing where this song will end up. It has GOT to have cool guitar parts of course...yes?

Dennis

Dennis, believe me, you have nothing to worry about!!! I did finally get it to below 5MB, but at a cost to the sound quality. I saved it as an 11Kps 8-bit mono wav file (telephone quality), which came out to just under 4MB. Unfortunately, it sounds pretty crappy.

Just for the record, here's my usual list of disclaimers:

1) I was absent the day they taught the blues at school

2) My dog chewed up my pick

3) I was feeling too happy to play the blues

4) The sun was in my eyes

I played my 335 through an old MXR distortion+ going straight into the soundblaster's line-in. I've got a GK-2A pickup on the 335, and he last few choruses were done with a Roland GR30 guitar synth.

Again, sorry for the poor sound quality (and sloppy playing too), but I had a ton of fun doing it. Just don't point and laugh at me (I hate it when people do that :D )

It's out on geocities, so you may get the "Page unavailable" message, meaning I've exceeded my data transfer limit. Just try again later. Technology is your friend :rolleyes:

Here is my attempt

Paul

Hey paul, cool man :cool: Hope you can repost it

somehow without the white noise! The more I look

into this mp3 wave etc. it looks like a lot of work! How long did it take you to do? :thu:

Thanks UT. Actually, converting Dennis' mp3 to wav and recording the tracks took very little time. All the tracks were first takes (kinda shows, doesn't it?). What took me the longest time was trying to figure out how to compress it to get it posted somewhere. I'll try to get it out there in a cleaner version somehow.

Paul

Hey U.T. download the demo of MusicMatch & load the trial version. You should be able to convert the mp3 to wave & back again. If not, it's only $15.00. There are some other converters freely available too.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

pauldil,

I just tried to access it and I got: "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information. Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later."

Is there anyone out there that can provide server space temporarily for this stuff?

aka riffing

HA HA HA I got the last download. It's good too. I'll sell it to you.

All kidding aside, If you don't have any luck with getting access, send me an email & I'll send you a copy.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daklander:

Hey U.T. download the demo of MusicMatch & load the trial version. You should be able to convert the mp3 to wave & back again. If not, it's only $15.00. There are some other converters freely available too.

Thanks daklander but I am going to pick up Acid

pro 3 and it has Sound Forge XP Studio 5.0 for

free. Then I'm good to go :idea:

Whoa dude...Nice job. I'm sure Dennis will be happy. Riff's was good, I like some aspects of both. I do like the extras you put into the mix.

:thu:

Our Joint

Hey Paul...

No luck here either... I can option click to DL it to my drive, and it is only 6k in size... and regular click puts me to an Anglefire too bad so sad can't link from offsite thingee...

:cry:

Waaahhhh!

Dennis

Sorry about that. I tested the link before I sent the post and it was working. I just now signed on to the account that I set up yesterday at Angelfire and got this little nastygram:

"Your account has been disabled for violation of Angelfire's Terms of Service."

Seems they'll let you store your stuff but not actually use it :rolleyes: Well, back to the drawing board...

Hey Dak, thanks. You must have gotten in before they shut me off. Glad you liked it.

Paul

Hey guys, the MP3/wav/MP3 conversions can be done just by using WinAmp. Instructions here . That's the easiest part of this whole deal. (CoolEdit works great if you've got it, btw.)

Looks like it's going to be impossible to get my old half-stack and PC together for this one, so some kind of DI solution will have to do. Any of these recording proggys have a plugin that sounds just like a mid-seventies SuperLead through a 4x12 w/greenbacks? Didn't think so...

Archived