Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FREE! Blues you can use!

dturner

Hello all,

I just finished mixing a blues tune called "True Blues", -- a 12 bar blues in G with drums, bass, Hammond B3, rhythm and lead guitar. I'd like to offer the backing tracks [minus the solo] with anyone who might like to download the 8.4 MB mp3 and play along. Here is a link for the for this tune -- BACKING TRACKS . I would only ask that this music not be used for any commercial purpose without my ok.

Each of the twelve bar cycles is a little different ranging from straight I V IV structure, to the inclusion of lots of passing chords and more jazz/blues style turnarounds. If you would like to hear the full version with solo, click HERE and find the link titled "True Blue".

Please feel free to add your own solo over the backing tracks and post a message with a link so we can hear you take on the solo. If anyone is interested, I will created a chord chart to detail all the chord changes.

Best Regards,

Dennis

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff, Dennis! If you decide to move to KC, let's jam... :D:D . Some ass kickin' blues there, very tasty!

Okay...now you've gotta do the mandatory talk about what guitar, what amp, etc...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hi Tedster,

I am glad you liked the tune. Feel free to lay a solo over the backing tracks and post it so we can hear it. I would love to hear your vibe on it.

The solo was played on an old strat I found in a pawn shop for two bills... it is a real mongrel vintage wise... I am quite sure the body and two of the three pickups are late fifties, with a JB stacked Humbucker in the bridge position. Other value killing mods include a nice pinkish purple metal flake refin, and a Kahler locking trem. But it has TONE to the bone... and this is one I will hang onto. After trying a bunch of amps, I settled on my Rocktron Voodu Valve preamp, and used a few DIGI 001 plugs to polish the tone a bit. As an experiment, I moved myself and the strat to a very quiet room via a long cord and mic'd the acoustic sound of the strat with an AT 4050 almost touching my right hand and mixed that in with the electric tone. It is clearly audible from time to time, and otherwise just adds a little bite or something. I kind of like the points when it is evident... just because it is unusual.

What is your favorite blues setup?

Dennis

Wellll...

That's a loaded question. I use a Strat most of the time, stock Am Std thru my Marshall TSL122. But, I've gotten some killer "True Strat" cleaner tones out of my Ampeg VT22. My little Marshall 4210's not bad either.

I dunno, there can be a zillion variations on blues tone. Clean. Light overdrive. Balls to the wall...or every shade in between.

Let me see if I can get something on there worthy of posting. My soundcard situation isn't too friendly these days.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Dennis, very very, cool playing. I listen to Round

midnight and Old Castel, I am going to listen to the rest as soon as I get a chance....What guitar

were you using on Round Midnight? Nice tone!

I may do the Blues thing if I can figure out how!

Hey Tedster...

Yes... by all means please lay down a track if you have time... I would love to hear it.

--------------------

Hi gatorwing,

Glad you liked it. Yes I am at 56K too... I want my broadband!

-------------------------------------

UncleTom,

Thanks, man.

Yes I was pretty pleased with the tone on Round Midnight. You may be surprised, but I played that tune on a $150 Danelectro U56 reissue -- also Macho's Lullaby. All the electric solo pieces went direct thru a Presonus MP20 mic preamp. I played my Washburn J-10 jazz box [pic used as background on the site] on "Shenandoah" and "I'm Old Fashioned"... also direct thru the Presonus.

I am working with Pauldil on another thread here in the guitar forum to put together a chord chart for "I'm Old Fashioned". We have also talked about doing a chart for "Shenandoah"

which is not as brutal as IOF.

Dennis

MR Turner, SIR!

Awesome stuff my man.

Your blues run is a super deal I think anyone would be happy to have with them.

Now ya got me thinkin' this old NoDak can do something with the blues...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hello Paul and Dak,

I am looking forward to hearing your take on the blues.... cool!

Here is a chord chart for "True Blue".

INTRO: / D9 / C9 / G7 / G7 D9 /

/ G9 / C9 / G9 G#9 / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 / G9 / D9 / C9 / G9 C9 / D9 /

/ G9 / G9 / G9 / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 / G9 / D9 / C9 / G9 C9 / D9 /

/G---/ G---/ G-G- / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 Gb9 / F9 E9 / Am7 / D9 / G9 E9 / Am7 D9 /

/ G9 / C9 / G9 G#9 / G9 / C9 / C9 Cdim / G9 Gb9 / F9 E9 / Am7 / D9 / G9 E9 / A7 D9 /

/ G9 / C9 / G9 G#9 / G9 / C9 / Cdim / G9 Gb9 / F9 E9 / Am7 / D9 / G9 C9 / G7 D9 /

/G---/G---/ G-G- / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 G#9 /G9 /D9 / C9 / G9 E9 /A7 D9 /

OUTRO: /Am7 Bm7 C6 Eb#5/ D9 / G9 C9 / G--- G#9 G9

I had originally put together the drums, bass and rhythm guitar parts solely to have a structure to build my neophyte Hammond chops. I made a conscious decision to make each "round" different with a variety of passing and descending chords, and various V IV I and II V I turnarounds. But this caused a huge problem when sitting behind the B3 because EVERY ROUND WAS DIFFERENT...ha. It drove me nuts until the chords started to fall under my fingers. Fortunately, my B3 [Leroy] and 122 Leslie sound totally cool even with a sucky keyboard player like myself behind the manuals. And just to drive you totally nuts... I found Leroy [WITH the 122 Leslie] in a church basement and bought the set for $100. It had a big placard on the back that said "Church Yard Sale -- Old Organ and Speaker... $80 or best offer". Evidently, this rig had been put out for the last two annual church yard sales with no takers. I think I have used up my lifetime allocation of luck on this deal. Plus, Leroy was someone's baby in the past as it is finished in piano black with lots of shiny brass aftermarket parts...and is wonderfully garish...ha. I will put up a pic if you'd like to see Leroy.

Dennis

Originally posted by dturner:

Hello Paul and Dak,

I am looking forward to hearing your take on the blues.... cool!

Here is a chord chart for "True Blue".

INTRO: / D9 / C9 / G7 / G7 D9 /

/ G9 / C9 / G9 G#9 / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 / G9 / D9 / C9 / G9 C9 / D9 /

/ G9 / G9 / G9 / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 / G9 / D9 / C9 / G9 C9 / D9 /

/G---/ G---/ G-G- / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 Gb9 / F9 E9 / Am7 / D9 / G9 E9 / Am7 D9 /

/ G9 / C9 / G9 G#9 / G9 / C9 / C9 Cdim / G9 Gb9 / F9 E9 / Am7 / D9 / G9 E9 / A7 D9 /

/ G9 / C9 / G9 G#9 / G9 / C9 / Cdim / G9 Gb9 / F9 E9 / Am7 / D9 / G9 C9 / G7 D9 /

/G---/G---/ G-G- / G9 / C9 / C9 / G9 G#9 /G9 /D9 / C9 / G9 E9 /A7 D9 /

OUTRO: /Am7 Bm7 C6 Eb#5/ D9 / G9 C9 / G--- G#9 G9

I had originally put together the drums, bass and rhythm guitar parts solely to have a structure to build my neophyte Hammond chops. I made a conscious decision to make each "round" different with a variety of passing and descending chords, and various V IV I and II V I turnarounds. But this caused a huge problem when sitting behind the B3 because EVERY ROUND WAS DIFFERENT...ha. It drove me nuts until the chords started to fall under my fingers. Fortunately, my B3 [Leroy] and 122 Leslie sound totally cool even with a sucky keyboard player like myself behind the manuals. And just to drive you totally nuts... I found Leroy [WITH the 122 Leslie] in a church basement and bought the set for $100. It had a big placard on the back that said "Church Yard Sale -- Old Organ and Speaker... $80 or best offer". Evidently, this rig had been put out for the last two annual church yard sales with no takers. I think I have used up my lifetime allocation of luck on this deal. Plus, Leroy was someone's baby in the past as it is finished in piano black with lots of shiny brass aftermarket parts...and is wonderfully garish...ha. I will put up a pic if you'd like to see Leroy.

Dennis

Pics please!!

Great tune BTW!

Hello GTO,

Here are a couple of pics:

Leroy with youngest son Dan

Leroy close up

Hey D-Prime!

Of course you can play like this if you want to.. just takes a little time and effort. In fact, if you want to learn to play blues, I am sure there are lots of folks here who can help you get there. You could begin by downloading the backing tracks, and learning the blues scale in various positions on the neck, and then start paying them dues like we all do... and are still doing.

Dennis

If I close my eyes while listening, I swear I can hear B.B. King crying in the background. What a great tune.

dturner: please post picks of that pawn shop prize!

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

Hi JimK,

BB King crying? C'mon now.. it is not THAT bad! :cry: I am glad you like the tune.

Here is a pic of my pawn shop mongrel strat ... and you will now know the secret to my "tone" as my guitar tech applies his special touch -- fill up that trem with silicone and the notes just bounce out of the instrument on their own... I just have to hang on for the ride.

Dennis

Is the lower left corner of the tremolo sticking out past the...the... Well, what do you call the part where it's contoured towards the tail there? The "contoured corner"? That looks like it could be uncomfortable.

Gotta like that color. :D I have an 85 contemporary Strat that was available in a similar color. I chose the Pearl with black pick guard, instead.

And those were tears of joy from B.B. :)

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

Is the lower left corner of the tremolo sticking out past the...the... Well, what do you call the part where it's contoured towards the tail there? The "contoured corner"? That looks like it could be uncomfortable.

No.. the trem ends just before the contour starts to taper.

DT

Hi Sylver...

Well, guitar players are such a shy bunch... doncha think? Looks like it is up to you to lay down a lead for everyone to hear. And thanks for the compliment!

Dennis

Originally posted by dturner:

Hi Sylver...

Well, guitar players are such a shy bunch... doncha think? Looks like it is up to you to lay down a lead for everyone to hear. And thanks for the compliment!

Dennis

Ummm, my cable moden router out in the studion took a lightning hit, so, I can't get the file to that computer. Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket! (No, really, I swear!)
I really don't know what to put here.

OK, I'll be the first volunteer. It's one take (3rd attempt) and there are good parts and there are definitely bad parts. I'm hoping to bring out more participants. I know you're out there and can do much better than me.

Dennis, your solo rocks! I don't think I've ever jammed this long and I'm sure it shows. :)

Get it at ftp://wingshadows.com/pub/ . The file is called trueblue-riffing.mp3 and it's 5.7 MB.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Hey Riffing!

Cool! Thanks for being the first one to jam along. I likes it!

Tell more about yourself if you would... how old are you, how long have you been playing, what guitar and amp did you use... the standard stuff.

Nice work!

Dennis

Originally posted by riffing:

OK, I'll be the first volunteer. It's one take (3rd attempt) and there are good parts and there are definitely bad parts. I'm hoping to bring out more participants. I know you're out there and can do much better than me.

Dennis, your solo rocks! I don't think I've ever jammed this long and I'm sure it shows. :)

Get it at ftp://wingshadows.com/pub/ . The file is called trueblue-riffing.mp3 and it's 5.7 MB.

Good job riffing! Yous got da blues, baby!
I really don't know what to put here.

Hey Blues Cats :cool: , how do I down load the backing

track? Do I use Real One Player or do I hook

up my Tascam CD-RW 5000 to the back of my hard

drive? I am going to try to record my guitar to

it this weekend. Never done this before and I'm

looking forward to puting somthing up! :confused::freak: Thanks in advance!

Well I'm off to work.......

Awww, shucks. You guys are so kind. Now, I know there are better guitar players out there so let's hear from ya! :)

My usual rig is a 72 Les Paul Custom through an ADA Viper but it's at the drummer's house. For this jam, I used my old Schecter (before they went out of business first go around) Strat-copy through my POD 2.0 (Modern Class A, compressor, drive at 3 o'clock). I used the mid and bridge pickups.

I'm 35, started to learn to play when I was 12 and haven't stopped. :) I never really got to the pro level. I'm currently in two bands but they're both just for fun and my childhood dreams of being the next Beatles has been replaced with sensibility. It's OK, though, music is still a major part of my life and I'm still having fun with it.

Come on, everyone else! Do I have to call you the "P" word to hear you? I'll do it if I have to. :D

aka riffing

Originally posted by UncleTom:

Hey Blues Cats :cool: , how do I down load the backing

track? Do I use Real One Player or do I hook

up my Tascam CD-RW 5000 to the back of my hard

drive? I am going to try to record my guitar to

it this weekend. Never done this before and I'm

looking forward to puting somthing up! :confused::freak: Thanks in advance!

Well I'm off to work.......

Here's what I did which may help more people post:

1. Downloaded the mp3 file to my computer

2. Opened it up in Sound Forge (5.0)

3. From the File menu, I chose "Save As"

4. Chose WAV format, 44.100 KHz, 16 bits, stereo file

5. Started a Pro Tools (5.1 LE) session and created a new stereo track

6. Imported the WAV audio into Pro Tools then dragged it into the new stereo track

7. Created a new mono track which I used to lay down my guitar

8. Created a stereo Master Fader and put a reverb plug in to help my track sit better with the backing. I also put a Dither plugin after the reverb.

9. After tracking the guitar, bounced it to disk as 44.1 KHz 16 bit stereo-interleaved file.

10. I opened this new WAV file in Sound Forge

11. Chose "Save As" to mp3 and chose 128K CD quality

Of course, this is just an idea of how to make this happen. It can be done numerous ways depending on your setup.

aka riffing

Archived