Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expert Advice on Guitar Shopping

betaphase

Hi guys.

I'm new to the board, but I've been playing (as a hobby so far) for about 8 years. I am shopping for a decent steel-string acoustic in the price range of up to around the $800-$900 price range (nothing into the thousands most likely). There are so many brands out there, though, that I don't really know what to look at.

I've been to the guitar store, and played with some Martins and some Taylors which I really liked. (I've also read some posts from some people who really like some Carvins, and some Yamahas and Gibsons.) I am not sure where to start, and I could use some suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Bruno :wave:

Maybe all there is to life

Is to ask the questions,

And to Survive

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woops! ;)

It's kinda pathetic that I am replying to my own post, but I had to correct an error with my first post. After looking at some of the catalogs online, I have seen that the guitars that draw my interest tend to, at least, get into the low thousands (MSRP). So I am just adding to my original post in saying, let's assume that my price range is up to a limit of $1200.00 max. Oh and I am partial to the Auditorium , Orchestra, and Jumbo body styles (particularly the cutaways). So, once again, your advice is GREATLY appreciated :thu: .

Sorry/Thanks

Is to ask the questions,

And to Survive

Did you ever consider buying a good used guitar. I have a mid 70's guild that isn't worth much on the market but I can tell you it sounds better than most new acoustics costing over $2,000. I own a recording studio and have recorded many acoustic guitars through the years and my Guild blows a lot of them away. I , and a lot of people think that acoustics sound better with age and everytime I play a new acoustic it feels stiff and the sound is kind of dead.

To me the new acoustics I've encountered that have a great sound are over $2,000. I know there are exceptions but I have gone Acoustic shopping and played the new brands and wasn't impressed with too many of them.

Last year I was helping a friend pick out a new acoustic. He narrowed it down to a Taylor cutaway he liked, the store had two of them. Just before he bought the guitar I told him to listen to both guitars. We were both blown away one sounded great and the other one sounded so so. A guitar is one of thing I would never reccomend buying through a mail order place every guitar has it's own personality. I've heard Martin D28's that don't sound very good.

Seriosly think about an older Guild,Gibson,Martin etc. The problem with a lot of new acoustics is that they sound great live with a pickup but when you mic them in the studio they are mediocre. I have found this to be the case with Takamines.I've heard that a lot of the country cats play takamines live but in the studio they break out their Martins,Gibsons,Guilds ETC Just my 2 cents

Good Luck

Hi Bruno,

First off, welcome to the forum. You've picked the right place. There's alot of great people here and you'll get some great advice. You might want to check out some of the older threads. This issue comes up pretty frequently here.

I see that you are from NJ also so I know you have access to the mega stores. I would just go out and play as many guitars as you can and find out what you like. In the end you are the one that must be happy with your decision. As mentioned earlier, no two guitars sound alike so just keep playing them until you find one that says 'take me home'.

For under $1K, the Gibsons & Taylors & Martins might be a bit of a stretch but don't rule that out either. Try them!

One brand that you might want to check out is Tacoma. They are generally in your price range and I wouldn't be embarrassed at all having one of them in my collection.

Finally, if you see a Big Baby Taylor out there, pick it up and try it. I've played a couple and I thought they were really sweet for $300.

good luck, welcome and let us know how you make out.

bob

I have to go along with DSD here...find a good used one...usually the uglier they are, the better they sound. An acoustic that's been beat into submission usually blows away the newer instrument.

If you are shopping used(new even)...be sure to check the neck set. If the guitar sounds good, but is hard to play, you need to make sure the angle of the neck/body joint is correct. This takes a bit of experience to see....

Assuming that the neck set is ok, plan on spending a few xtra bucks on a fret dress and set up. You should be able to find a great guitar for $1200...particularly used...that will get you into a 70's D28 or 000 Martin, a Guild jumbo...etc.

Definitely check out the Taylor 314CE grand auditorium. For auditorium-style acoustics, Taylor is hard to beat. Even a new one should be within your price range. Try a few different 314's--with any acoustic guitar in that price range you're going to find that quality is highly variable even among the same model. You might find one or two dogs, and then stumble on an absolute gem that compares to a 714 or 814. Just be patient and keep looking until you find one that really strikes you.

If you're into the jumbos, but not into the jumbo price tags, my bandmate plays an Epiphone SJ18SCE jumbo with a cutaway, all-black finish, solid top, really nice sound and pretty good onboard electronics, clocked in under $500 I think. You'd definitely want to play it in person, but I've met a few Epiphones that just sound sweet. You never know what you'll come across out there.

I also have to admit a weakness for Seagull guitars. I haven't met a bum Seagull yet and they're very affordable and well made. Check into the higher end of their line. They all seem to have grat playability, too.

I personally love to shop used, but be sure to have a good luthier to go to who can check out all the potential problem areas before you spend too much. As someone said above, the neck set is very important on the older guitars. You can land a nice 60s or 70s Gibson or Alvarez Yairi for under a grand usually. I love worn-looking guitars that still have a ton of life in them.

All this talk makes me want to go guitar shopping. But I'm at the sell one before you buy another stage of things...hmm...think I'll start a new thread.

Amanda

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for replying to my post. I really appreciate all the advice. I guess I should just head out there and play. I will check out some of the guitars you mentioned. I don't think that I will look into used ones though, because I wouldn't really know how to find possible problems with them and so on. Whatever I buy, I'll just have to break it in myself. If anyone has any moree guitar suggestions please feel free to post. I will keep checking.

Thanks a lot,

Bruno

Is to ask the questions,

And to Survive

Check out the Ovation Acoustic/Electrics. I purchased a new Celebrity Elite model about 6 mos. ago which was made in America and on sale for about $650.

It plays and sounds well both acoustically and electrically. I normally play a Strat with a band and at our gig this weekend I got brazen and brought along the Ovation. During a band break I played a series of acoutic blues type tunes on the Ovation and sang on some (some tunes included the unplugged version of Layla, Change the World by Clapton, All Along the Watchtower, Catfish Blues, etc.). The Ovation's sound received many complements from both fellow band members and, more importantly, the audience.

This guitar has a spruce top with the small multi sound holes on top (which really drive the sound as opposed to the single sound hole) and has a synthetic back. I understand that the synthetic back was dervied from acoustic technology used on helicopter rotors, and in addition to being durable as all get out, it also further enhances the sound.

The neck also feels really comfortable and is also of a very stable design which I believe has carbon stabilization spines in addition to the truss rod. The bridge elevation can easily be changed but simply changing the shim size under the bridge. The electronics include a full equalizer to adjust both your volume and tone from the guitar.

Aside from sounding and playing great, this guitar is light as a feather compared to my Strat.

hmm. not a fan of the synthetic back on the ovations. not only do I not like the rounded back of the guitar (which I find to be ackward) i don't really like the sound of ovations (particularly unplugged). it sounds ... well... synthetic. but I really appreciate the suggestion. I actually own a takamine classical acoustic right now. I have played with some takamines at the guitar shop and although they sound good, I found that they didn't really sound as rich and full as the comparable martins for example. have you guys found that that to be true also? I actually really like my takamine now, but I don't think that brand loyalty is going to carry much weight, other than making me want to try all of them.

Is to ask the questions,

And to Survive

I have played with some takamines at the guitar shop and although they sound good, I found that they didn't really sound as rich and full as the comparable martins for example. have you guys found that that to be true also?

Without a doubt

I'd have to agree on the Takamines, they play well through a PA but are weak purely acoustic. They are built like tanks and relatively inexpensive, which I think explains their use by touring musicians. Everyone breaks out their good Martins, Guilds, Lowdens, etc. in the studio.

Buying a used acoustic is not that scary, really. Especially if you find a good shop that specializes in acoustic instruments (not a typical megastore). I'm with DSD in that I have an old (1978) Guild F50-R jumbo and every time I play that guitar out people freak over the tone -- including those playing very expensive Martin, Taylor, Santa Fe, etc. I also have a Lowden (best guitars, top to bottom, I've ever played) and a relatively cheap Ibanez Artist rosewood (good for gigs).

Acoustic guitars definitely change tone over time as the wood dries and "opens up." That's the advantage of buying a used instrument -- you hear its "true" voice.

Don't rule out used acoustics immediately . . . check a few acoustic stores and play a few.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Archived