Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UPDATE: GT3 PROJECT AND "MIXING & MASTERING" BOOK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Thanks Bunny, got 'em. Now a question: Does anyone here NOT want their real name used? In other words, they want to go by their online handle or whatever? Please let me know.[/b][/quote]Either DakLander Music or my real name is fine with me. Dak

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Name: Håkan 'Master Zap' Andersson, Eskilstuna, Sweden [b]Note to Craig: If you can't get the "å" right, with "right" being defined as an a with a small circle above it, then just write an "a" or dont include my 'real name' at all and just call me 'Zap Andersson'. I dont want it mangled into Häkan, Hâkan or Hákan or any other junk please ;) [/b] Bio: Håkan 'Master Zap' Andersson has been releasing music online at [url=http://www.Master-Zap.com]www.Master-Zap.com[/url] since 1995 and selling it since 1997 when his debut indie CD "The Curvature of Space" appeared, now a sold out collectors item. He also produces music videos and music for "Nina - Goddess of Dance" - [url=http://www.NinaGoddess.com]www.NinaGoddess.com[/url] About the mix: I Mixed it 100% within SONAR using mostly Waves plugins. My root approach was to throw out the parts I didn't like, which, to be completely frank, was most of them. For a beat, the only thing that grooved to my ears was the drumloop, which after EQ and a massive compression and combined with judiciously edited version of the bass guitar track created a nice grooving bottom to work from. By spicing up the lead vocal with EQ, compression and a hair of chorus I got a more distinct and airy sound. Pieces of the original instrumentation was gently dropped in only in spots where they seemed "needed" to my ears - which was rarely. The cool "bass drop" from earlier in the song was copied, pitched down and re-used in front of the rap-break, which was stripped down to only drums and rap, again with the logic "use the elements that GROOVE". The 2-bus was compressed with a Waves C1 compressor. During the entire mixphase. Mixing into a compressor can yield interesting results, just be careful not to pump so much in you drive it all the time. Which is what I did. Heh. :) Feel free to drop by at [url=http://www.Master-Zap.com]www.Master-Zap.com[/url] :wave: /Z

[quote]Originally posted by Master Zap: [b] My root approach was to throw out the parts I didn't like, which, to be completely frank, was most of them. For a beat, the only thing that grooved to my ears was the drumloop, which after EQ and a massive compression and combined with judiciously edited version of the bass guitar track created a nice grooving bottom to work from. /Z[/b][/quote]Man, is that going to be part of your bio? That's kind of rude. To each there own, but you didn't have to phrase that in that insulting of a way :(

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

I mean, Zap. You get to have your mixing skills presented in good light, by Craig's project... Just the same, I don't feel like being shot down wordlwide by you...I mean, I would certainly like for this to be of some kind of benefit to me, just as you wish it to benefit you. So, I don't understand why you would feel that that kind of comment is necessary. :confused:

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

well, that's just one man's opinion. I found there was more than enough to work with to create a good mix. That's my opinion. I think one of the problems is that some people tried to turn it into something that it wasn't suupposed to be. What I heard on the initial listen through was something that sounded a bit 80's new-wavish kinda rock. Hence the synths. It wasn't a disco pop dance tune to me. And to try and turn it into that is as bad as some of the "remixes" I've heard of other rocktunes. So, for me , mixing a tune means bringing outt he best of it, and at teh sametime trying to retain the original intent of the artist. Losing most of the instrumenmtation and adding a bunch of loops is not mixing. It's dance-mix mixing. Can you imagine if a band like U2 asked you to mix a song (not do a dance re-mix) for an upcoming album, and you replaced everyone except Bono's vocals, with drumloops and sequences?. Again, that's just my opinion.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I'm with Henchman here. There are endless numbers of REmix directions this tune could've gone in, but I wanted to stick to the original artist's vision. There were plenty of good tracks to use from what GT3 provided. And I used almost all of them in my mix. I do think that comment is disrespectful, Zap, and it could easily be edited out of your bio without losing any pertinent information.

Uhm, maybe I can rethink the phrasing there. It might be a tad ... uh.... unelegant. Truthful but perhaps not exactly tactful. Craig might do some judicious editing of it as well. What if we say... uh.... uh. Change [quote]My root approach was to throw out the parts I didn't like, which, to be completely frank, was most of them. For a beat, the only thing that grooved to my ears was the drumloop, which after EQ and a massive compression and combined with judiciously edited version of the bass guitar track created a nice grooving bottom to work from. By spicing up the lead vocal with EQ, compression and a hair of chorus I got a more distinct and airy sound. Pieces of the original instrumentation was gently dropped in only in spots where they seemed "needed" to my ears - which was rarely. [/quote]to [quote] First I tried to find the groove... for the beat, the "grooviest" thing (to my ears) was the drumloop, which after EQ and a massive compression and combined with judiciously edited version of the bass guitar track created a nice grooving bottom to work from. I then dropped in the pieces that still "fit" this groove oriented base, and removed those that did not, which actually was quite a lot of the tracks, percentage-wise. By spicing up the lead vocal with EQ, compression and a hair of chorus I got a more distinct and airy sound. The vocal was intervoven with pieces of the original instrumentation where I felt it was needed.[/quote]Better? /Z

GT3, I'm another that thought there were lots of possibilities to do a wide variety of things to the original tune you provided. I personally found this whole project a wonderful learning experience. My personal goal was to keep as much as possible of the original material and see what I could do with it. When Lee provided the acoustic drums I couldn't resist working them into my mixing scheme and dropping the original tracks. I think you provided a perfect set of tracks for this project and the original intention, as I understood it. I also found it interesting to hear, not only the differences in direction with the different mixes but the similarities in all of them. That shows to me that the basic tune was strong enough to stand on its own, as done in your original mixed version. Thanks... :wave:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Its one thing to be brutally honest about GT3's song here on the forum, but out in the print world is a different matter. GT3 is one of our own, and opinions of his song should be accurate but diplomatic at the same time. This is not the time or place for us to embarass him to the general public. Lets wait till he's well known, and then we'll bag on him.... heheh

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b] Now a question: Does anyone here NOT want their real name used? In other words, they want to go by their online handle or whatever? Please let me know.[/b][/quote]Oh, crud. Didn't see this until now. Ken/Eleven Shadows is fine, or Ken Lee/Eleven Shadows. Whatever.

<> Time for me to step in here. Zap, I'll run the revised version and I appreciate your willingness to be diplomatic. But honestly, I see no problem in your original statement. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, and if you didn't like most of the tracks, you're certainly entitled not to like them! It's obvious from your mix, and after hearing George's, that you wanted to turn it in a different direction from the original intention. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Remixing to me is valid too. But it doesn't make sense why you would want to change it *unless* you didn't particularly care for the song in its existing state. I've heard your music, and I'm pretty sure you and George have very different musical tastes. It's like when you said something about how my doing the mix like it was an outtake from Highway 61 Revisited may have meant I wasn't serious. I assure you, I was very serious and that was the component I heard in there, so I mixed it accordingly. I also thought it stayed true to the artist's original vision, or I should say, I at least *thought* it did until I heard George's mix . Yes, there were several tracks I also didn't like, but to tell you the truth, I listen for five things in a song: 1. The vocal 2. The vocal 3. The vocal 4. The lytics 5. Everything else Now, with "Fate of the Heart," the vocals and lyrics grabbed me right away. And now we come to the heart of the matter: THAT'S why these mixes, remixes, demixes, and everything else works -- *because the vocal and lyrics work.* You could just solo the vocal track and it would be worth listening to -- everything else is just packaging. What's interesting to me is how friggin' indestructible the song is. It's been packaged in everything from country to electronica and it STILL comes through. Few songs can survive being taken that far out of context. So George, don't be too sensitive. Dozens of people have spent hundreds (thousands?) of hours mixing or remixing your tune. They wouldn't have done it if the basics weren't in place and if there wasn't something compelling about the song as well as the project. I think all the mixes are cool, but each one for a different reason. Besides, extra credit to George for not rhyming "State of the Art" with "Fate of the Heart." (Although maybe you could license the song to Sony or something...as the camera pans across the VAIO, George sings "That's how it starts...it's the state of the art!" ) And Zap, you speak English so well I think people might forget that it's not your primary language, so there are bound to be a few transmission glitches where your words don't reflect your thoughts with the same nuances as if you were speaking Swedish. No worries. If I were to try speaking Swedish, I'd probably end up saying something like "My toast is flying upside down" when I meant to say "Have a nice day."

Whoah, thanks Craig for being the diplomat here. As for basing everything around the vocal the vocal the vocal... don't forget I tuned it... maybe I should add that? :D ;) :wave: *zap runs ducking at the debris being thrown his way* :D :D [quote]"My toast is flying upside down[/quote]"Mitt rostade bröd flyger uppochner" [quote]"Have a nice day"[/quote]"Ha en bra dag" Somehow I doubt you'd pull of that interchange :) /Z

Archived