Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone interested in Johnny Smith and his chord/melody jazz guitar style?

dturner

I was just checking out the site where you had the chord chart. This is cool stuff and adds diversity to the style(s) I play. I just wanted to let you know that I was there, and hope you don't mind and thanks!

Mikel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mikel, thanks for checking it out! Did you check out Dennis' site? There's a link to it in one of the early posts. That's the version that my chord sheet was written from. There are also several other great arrangements there.

Dennis, did you get a chance to check out the chart for correctness? Fax me your chart ideas when you get the chance.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome back! I have been up to my eyeballs this week and have not checked your chart as of yet. I tried to print out the chart, and the entire arrangement gets compressed onto one single page, making everything pretty small. Any suggestions for how I can break this down into four or five pages?

And for Mike and anyone else here interested in hearing the performance of "I'm Old Fashioned", here is the link for the site where you can find it.

And Paul, check out the new addition... "True Blue" on the site. I did all the parts, and this was my first recording with "Leroy" my ebony B3. I am not a keyboard player...can you tell? Ha.

Cheers,

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

"True Blue" sounds very cool!!!! :cool::thu: Your keyboard skills are actually very good! Great guitar tone! What are you playing through?

I'm almost to the point where I can play "I'm old Fashioned" at a reasonable tempo all the way through. There are a few places in the chart that I'm not sure about as far as fingerings, though. The main part that I'm unsure about starts at the 15th row, 5th column (2:27 through 2:37 of the tune). I think I've got the notes right, but is there a better way to play it?

As far as printing the chart, I used Microsoft Paint to create it. Can you save the picture and open it with Paint or something similar? Then you could format your printout a little bit.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am glad you liked True Blue. And thanks for the compliment, but I truly suck at keys... but I suck less every day. Fortunately, the B3 and 122 Leslie sounds wonderful even when I suck.... tis the "voice of God" as far as I am concerned. For the lead tone on that tune, I played an old strat thru a Rocktron Voodu Valve guitar preamp, and used a AT4050 to record the acoustic sound of the strat in a quiet room. I had read about this technique when recording bass, and wondered if it would work with guiitar also. It kind of adds a little bite or something to the attack. But it took forever to mix this thing, as I am new to mixing ensemble pieces... but damn I sure learned alot.

I will find a way to print out IOF and check the chords. Overall, it looks great.

Dennis

Archived